Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official IWD Help Topic- Shit, this game is hard.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
I have gone through all the IE games with the hardest diffirculty settings, but I am having trouble with the Troll in Chap 1. What I do is I attack the Orcs without talking to the troll than pepper spray oil canisters (mini-fireballs) to kill most of them, but the troll never comes close to Almost Dead.
Though I like the game. Interesting implementation of 3ed, especially after NWN.

Mistress

Liturgist
I'm not sure exactly which part of Chapter 1 you mean, but I don't remember any particularly tricky trolls....

What party combination do you have?

Mistress

Liturgist
Constipated Craprunner said:
Dwarven Fighter, Asmir Paladin, Elf Sorc, Crappy Dark Elf Mage (the worst combo possible), Elf Druid, Some sort of rangey Thief.
My party's okay. Its the chapter with the bridge, not sure if that is 1 or 2.
That damn troll.

Yeah the dark elf mage combo is pretty crap. Your party isn't a problem - I just wondered. That druid will come in VERY handy later. My lack of druid pained me later in the game.

Not really sure about the troll - I think its just a case of hammering away at the bastard till he goes down. Hardened ice troll right?

EDIT: Actually I think I remember him - in the caverns yes? I think I spoke to him and then um....ran away. Probably lured the orcs away and chopped through them, and let my mage hit him with as many spells as poss.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I remember that fight, as all scripted events it does not give you a chance to use your best tactics. Your party could be a problem too, while it's good for the second half of the game, things are tough in the beginning.

As you know this game was focused around combat, so what I recommend is
1. Aasimar pal whose destiny is to claim the Holy Avenger
2. Half-orc fighter for crowd control
3. Elven fighter specializing in archery
4. A priest of something or other whose full time job is creating undead cannon fodder
5. A thief to open things, if you care, if not take a dwarven fighter
6. Sor or Wiz. I went with a wizard, did not have any probelms.

With this setup, I sent my half orc to occupy the troll while the rest of the party dealt with orcs, after that the troll did not pose a serious problem.

You have only good fighter, the rest of them don't hit very well, and tend to go down quickly. And yes, "crappy dark elf mage" is the worst possible combo int his game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom