Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OFFICIAL "STONES OF ARNHEM" DEVELOPMENT THREAD

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I don't want to announce this to the Codex until I have my first alpha version running and up on Steam for "Coming Soon" but I will share details here for diehard fans of Grimoire. When I get Steam to accept my prototype and allow me to set up the page for SOA I will start sending out press releases.

I have all-new portraits that nobody has seen yet but they are fantastic, higher quality than anything displayed previously for Vault of Terror or other games I have been tinkering on. Looking at them and how far my blobber engine has come along were what gave me the motivation to begin working on SOA.

I have distilled the races and classes down into a synthesis of Grimoire, Crusaders and other influences. I am really happy with them and have built the RPG logic engine and editors around them. The tables necessary for character creation are done and I am thinking of pursuing a bold new mechanism of character creation that will combine ideas from other RPGs to produce a very cool easy start to the game without any library creation necessary. Characters in the library will be semi-created but experienced grognards can edit and refine them. Newbs can simply pick them and add them to the party at the start and jump right into the game ala EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.

This game is aimed at 40+ hours of play and will be a fraction of the size of Grimoire. It will be far superior in many ways but it will still be a turn-based blobber inspired by Wizardry 6 & 7.

RACE

Mankind
Barrower
Drow
Gnome
Sylph
Ogre
Saurian
Drake
Kenku
Rhattu
Leonar
Wolfen
Vamphyri
Aeorb
(possible Neanderthal if I can source the portraits somewhere in a similar style)

CLASS

Knight
Sorcerer
Empiric
Rogue
Ranger
Minstrel
Barbarian
Thaumaturge
Shaman
Paladin
Jester
Blacksmith
Corsair
Assassin
Sage
Monk

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Are you also planing to get an even smaller fraction of 100% this time around?

REHg3Ou.png

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Are you also planing to get an even smaller fraction of 100% this time around?

REHg3Ou.png

Subtract the trannies buying and refunding the game in one hour to give it a squeal review and Grimoire would be well into 90% and the detractors would mostly consist of people who thought they were buying a Final Fantasy game.

P.S. Wonder how it is maintained at 69% for years such that every time it slips into positive, about 100 new reviews appear in 24 hours to push it back a single point? It has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the flabby armed non-binary lunatics.

Gargaune

Magister
Unless I'm missing something...

- 1996: Chris Roberts releases Wing Commander IV, the last videogame he saw to completion to present date.
- 1997: Cleveland Mark Blakemore publicly announces Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.
- 2012: Chris Roberts publicly announces Star Citizen Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign.
- 2017: Cleveland Mark Blakemore releases Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.
- 2021: Cleveland Mark Blakemore publicly announces Stones of Arnhem.
- Next Friday: Cleveland Mark Blakemore releases Stones of Arnhem.
- 2077: CD Projekt Red releases the first Cyberpunk 2077 expansion pack.
- Feb. 30th: Chris Roberts releases Star Citizen.

That means that Cleve will have released two videogames by the time Roberts will have released one. Though Roberts might have the edge on manuals, if .JPGs count.

:positive:

Contagium

Savant
Patron
"Diehard fans of Grimoire" Do those even exist?

Yes.

Grimoire's release had a profound effect on me, perhaps more than any other game. It was the same feeling as playing Baldur's Gate, Wizardry 1, Dungeon Master, or even NES classics like Zelda or Dragon Warrior for the same time. For a game to have the same effect on a 40 year old man as a 13 year old kid really says something.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Cleveland Mark Blakemore what sort of soundtrack are you planning for the game? The compositions for Grimoire were fantastic, I know the composer is well renowned.

I don't want to announce this to the Codex until I have my first alpha version running and up on Steam for "Coming Soon" but I will share details here for diehard fans of Grimoire. When I get Steam to accept my prototype and allow me to set up the page for SOA I will start sending out press releases.

I have all-new portraits that nobody has seen yet but they are fantastic, higher quality than anything displayed previously for Vault of Terror or other games I have been tinkering on. Looking at them and how far my blobber engine has come along were what gave me the motivation to begin working on SOA.

I have distilled the races and classes down into a synthesis of Grimoire, Crusaders and other influences. I am really happy with them and have built the RPG logic engine and editors around them. The tables necessary for character creation are done and I am thinking of pursuing a bold new mechanism of character creation that will combine ideas from other RPGs to produce a very cool easy start to the game without any library creation necessary. Characters in the library will be semi-created but experienced grognards can edit and refine them. Newbs can simply pick them and add them to the party at the start and jump right into the game ala EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.

This game is aimed at 40+ hours of play and will be a fraction of the size of Grimoire. It will be far superior in many ways but it will still be a turn-based blobber inspired by Wizardry 6 & 7.

RACE

Mankind
Barrower
Drow
Gnome
Sylph
Ogre
Saurian
Drake
Kenku
Rhattu
Leonar
Wolfen
Vamphyri
Aeorb

CLASS

Knight
Sorcerer
Empiric
Rogue
Ranger
Minstrel
Barbarian
Thaumaturge
Shaman
Paladin
Jester
Blacksmith
Corsair
Assassin
Sage
Monk

Diggfinger

Arcane
"Diehard fans of Grimoire" Do those even exist? Maybe try doing something with an UI on par with modern standards.

Come here, mate....

that's it...dont worry, come closer...right this way....
dont be shy...c'mon...almost there.....
...now...stick your head in this hole....

diablo-butcher.gif

covr

Prophet
Patron

RACE

Mankind
Barrower
Drow
Gnome
Sylph
Ogre
Saurian
Drake
Kenku
Rhattu
Leonar
Wolfen
Vamphyri
Aeorb

CLASS

Knight
Sorcerer
Empiric
Rogue
Ranger
Minstrel
Barbarian
Thaumaturge
Shaman
Paladin
Jester
Blacksmith
Corsair
Assassin
Sage
Monk

What about UI? Do you plan to modernize it over what we saw in Grimorie? I love old school interface, but some of the stuff was simply painful to use, like inventory management or selecting your characters during party creation screen.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
What about UI? Do you plan to modernize it over what we saw in Grimorie? I love old school interface, but some of the stuff was simply painful to use, like inventory management or selecting your characters during party creation screen.

Completely different UI in Unity, very little resemblance to Grimoire.

Prompting for combat orders with submenus with the entry "Repeat Last Order" etc. for each character similar to Wizardry 6 & 7.

Streamlined and easy to use without a manual of any kind. There will be a manual for grognards who want to know all the inner core details of the game but like many blobbers, no need to read it to jump in and play immediately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom