Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official unofficial RPGCODEX 2021 GOTY thread. PARTICIPATE NOW! HOOKERS! BLACKJACK! VOTING!

Sentinel

Arcane
Nioh 2 Remastered - The Complete Edition
NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139
Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster
Diablo II: Resurrected
Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster
Shin Megami Tensei V

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I have been called upon to vote, but I feel filthy voting for any of the games released in 2021. Still, the job must be done.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
2021 was a catch-up year for me, as I caught up with a lot of the 2020 releases, and before, and so I didn't play many 2021 stuff... I only played Solasta: Crown of the Magister, Pathfinder: WOTR and Loop Hero. I cannot in good conscience give Solasta anything, due to the pronoun trash they did at day 1, and hiding base classes behind a paywall. And I cannot give WOTR anything since I haven't beaten it with all the paths, yet. (and some more glaring issues the game has, obviously)

And so my one and only nomination for the 2021 GOTY in the RPG category, has to, fortunately or unfortunately, go to the only game I played that was actually entertaining and drama-free:

Loop Hero.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I played a good number of games in 2021 and have played another good number in 2022, but unfortunately I have only managed to play one released in 2021 that qualifies. I would probably list more if I had the time to play them, nevertheless:

Nier Replicant
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
I have played the following from that year:

solasta, encased, wildermyth, vagrus, hobo, gloomhaven, spellforce 3, sands of salzaar, gamedec, dysmantle, library of ruina, ME, drox 2, sword and fairy 7, vampirem, tortured hearts, dead age 2, P5 (Should probably be goty tbh), edge of eternity, biomutant, BG dark alliance, garbage

And the only stand out there in terms of quality of everything is persona 5. None of the others come even close.

Wildermyth gets a speshul mention for trying out new ideas, Sands of salzaar for trying to be a weird mix of heroes 3 and mount and blade, Solasta for having decent wombat, encased for having a fantastic first hour, and wotr for being so very faithful to the system and so very deep in terms of character building. But none of these deserve the spot.

So yeah, Persona 5 is good.

Oh, and the absolute worst of the bunch of tortured hearts, it should get its own prize for being so shit, like literally, voting worst rpg of the year, to me, is a lot more fun and interesting than voting "which gaim is moar poplar"

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

There were a few other titles that were interesting for certain ideas or parts of the game (e.g. Solasta's chargen/implementation of 5E), but Wrathfinder was the only notable full package from 2021 imo. Even if the ambition of filling that package topped everything off with copious bugs, per Owlcats' corporate philosophy.

quixotic

Learned
I didn’t play anything from 2021…
Well, I loved Nioh, so I’ll vote for Nioh 2!
EDIT
WAIT A SECOND
NIOH 2
CAME OUT IN 2020
I’VE BEEN LIED TO
I vote for Archolos, it’s on my backlog and it looks fun!

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't really play any 2021 new releases as I was busy finishing up school.

The games I did play were either older than 2021, or still in Beta/Not Released status in 2021.

I will have to respectfully vote King Comrade for this thread men.

Unless you want to count Vampire Survivors which was released December 17th 2021.

A vote for that would trigger Jenkems, so that'd be acceptable to me as well.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
  1. Elden Ring
  2. Elden Ring
  3. Elden Ring
  4. Elden Ring
  5. Elden Ring
  6. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
  7. Atom RPG Trudograd
  8. Solasta

Last edited:

Kaivokz

Arcane
1. Jupiter Hell
2. Gloomhaven
3. Archolos
4. Trials of Fire
5. Across the Obelisk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom