Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Old World - historical 4X strategy by Civ 4 designer (formerly 10 Crowns)

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I almost trashed the game for poor performance. Then i found out a process which shouldn't have anything to do with the game was starting with it and using 50% of my CPU. And finally i found out some fucking asshole embedded a coin miner into the codex installer.

Can you share which process that was? I got performance issues on my end too.

As for the actual game I'm thoroughly enjoying it although I'm just about 5h deep so I can't give a full review yet.

I like the whole event system as it often leads to traits for your leaders, most of which you can control. I can basically get a custom made court member this way by deciding what they'll learn and stuff.

Btw, if you guys want to have less events you can actually customize the difficulty and can have less or more events. There's also an option in there for the AI cheating that you can enable/disable.
i really can't remember the name but it was masquerading as a legitimate windows process. You should check it out in your task manager.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Coming to Steam and GOG next year with an expansion, published by Hooded Horse, the publisher behind Terra Invicta:

https://af.gog.com/game/old_world?as=1649904300

It's about 2 years of exclusivity.

It almost feels like this is the actual full release, getting a publisher to support marketing and all that, while "full" release on Epic was still early access or in-development period.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADL

Prophet
Better late than never. Will the release include the expansion or will it be a separate purchase? The verbiage makes it seem like it might.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, probably it's going to hit the shelves on 1st June or even 5th May, so exactly 2 years after EA was launched. According to discord the expansion is just some campaign, so nothing major. That's all what publisher said. Game is getting weekly updates, so in 6 months it's going to shine like my dog's dong.

covr

Prophet
Patron
The game gets better with each update. And it was already very good a year ago. Overall progress is steady but in the last 6 months it has evolved rather slowly. They tend to improve every single aspect of the game, and with product so large, there is just a lot of improve so the pace is slow. All the changes implemented in the last months are minor e.g. there's a small performance boost, some of the models are better, the UI is a bit better, balance has changed a little and there's a ton of new events (on top of thousands of old events, so you won't see those new very often). There was nothing major implemented recently so I assume that they are preparing the Steam release (which is a true release) and working on some DLC at the same time.

DakaSha

Arcane
Game is fantatic, retards.
I "subscribed" to ck2 the other day and pretty much immediately thought "why am i not playing old world instead"

Playing old world again, dick hard

covr

Prophet
Patron
Well, it is not the kind of expansion I expected. It seems that's just 6 Greek scenarios + probably some pre-scripted exclusive events.
I hope they will go with new biome + new resources + new faction. I am still not very fond on how religion has been implemented, it should play bigger role.

But game is still 9/10, best 4X since Civ4.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
On one hand, nu-civ clone with some paradox thrown into the mix sounds really meh. On the other, one has to try a new game from time to time and this does look much better than they/them-kind so there's that, at least.

Yosharian

Arcane
I watched a video, it says that it is a cross between CK3 and Civ 6. I loved Civ 6 but I can't say that I was particularly interested in playing it over and over, one run was enough to satiate my appetite for that game. I found CK3 horribly complicated, even though it looked very interesting I just couldn't get my wrap my brain around it.

So I dunno if I would like this

spectre

Arcane
So I dunno if I would like this
It's a bit of a no-brainer, because it's a better game than Civ6, but it's not a particularly high bar to pass.
While you deserve a bit of flak for admitting to liking Civ6, the actual question is whether OW will be good fix for a Civilization fan fan.
Personally, I think it's a bit of a different animal, because of the added inter-character relations, so you should expect a different game, but with a bunch of familiar trappings.
It's a bit like playing CIV, but you're perpetually stuck in the first one or two eras with added layers of complexity.

Plenty of the stuff can be toggled on and off, so you can probably diddle with the settings to achieve something you're comfortable with.
It's even possible to turn off the CK-ish stuff off entirely. Now, I've yet to play CK3, but in comparison to CK2, Old World feels like a simplified version of it, so if you're looking for a gateway into CK, it might be feasible.

ADL

Prophet
Been on Epic but it is far from meh.

I doubt that release version would be much different than current Epic build.
It'll be pretty significantly different than the Epic version since anyone who buys the Steam version gets the expansion pack for free and there will probably be a 2.0 patch included with it for the base game.
Additionally, the new "Heroes of the Aegean" Expansion will be released the same day, free to all purchasers of Old World for the first 2 weeks.

ADL

Prophet
Waiting for reviews on the Steam release version. Especially with the expansion pack included. $35.99 is fair though.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Been on Epic but it is far from meh.

I doubt that release version would be much different than current Epic build.
It'll be pretty significantly different than the Epic version since anyone who buys the Steam version gets the expansion pack for free and there will probably be a 2.0 patch included with it for the base game.
Additionally, the new "Heroes of the Aegean" Expansion will be released the same day, free to all purchasers of Old World for the first 2 weeks.

https://gist.github.com/MohawkGames/bbfb03537ce329d5d5a2e9fd5f1cbe74

No 2.0 patch, no difference Vs previous build except dlc campaigns and steam trading cards.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom