Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Old World - historical 4X strategy by Civ 4 designer (formerly 10 Crowns)

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Sadly there's no talk of improving the GODDAMN HORRIBLE PERFORMANCE.
It ain't happening.You can't fix unity performance issues after you released the game.Would take too much time.

Have you played Xcom 2 War of the Chosen? In that expac FIRAXIS pretty much redid the game engine and drastically improved performance compared to the base game. Couldnt we hope for something similar?
That is the strength of having a in house engine.You can't do the same for unity,you are stuck with the flaws from the get go.
Unreal is better performance wise and the major issue of stuttering is not really present in tbs strategy games.Unity on the other hand is a mess when it comes to any genre.

So if you want to get something from unity in terms of performance you either:
-Have a very experienced engineer team that can actually do something(most of those people work for unity though)
-Invest a significant amount of time during development to get the engine to a respectable performance.Post launch most studios run a skeleton crew unless you are developing a big expansion or something.And the time wasted trying to make Unity run decently is time that could have been used for actual development,so most studios won't do that.

Old world devs are lazy on the other hand thanks the epic deal.They had the money upfront so they had no real worries,they could have tried to iron out performance,they just didn't care.

From my understanding and talking to devs the primary value of Unity is the theoretical platform agnosticism. And a few other convenience features. Not sure I personally think that outweighs the performance issues, especially for an established studio like Mohawk.

Sratopotator

Savant
Seems like the game wasn't that hot on Steam - almost 3 months since release, and the game has 1K reviews (very nice for a medium budget indie, which this certainly isn't).
Another victim to EGS exclusivity, I suppose.

One thing OW totally succeeded at imo is keeping the Civ/4X flame burning:
When I played the latest Civ entries, I was totally drained/bored after a completed full game - I wouldn't touch anything Civ-like for months after.
After completing a game or two in OW though, I certainly had enough of OW (mainly due to technical reasons), but I went on a month long spree of playing 4X/Civ like games (mostly EL and Civ IV).

So yeah, kudos to OW devs for not making a soul draining game that kills the enthusiasm for the genre. A(AA) tier attempts at 4X usually end like that for me.
Oh, and the darn Undo button spoiled me hard - I fully expected to see it in EL and CivIV, forgetting like a moron that it's an OW's gimmick.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I've been ....sampling this while waiting for a reasonable price drop and it's interesting to say the least. It feels like a Civilization game designed specifically for me that tries to address all the criticisms I personally have of Civ. The hyper bloated time span is reduced to my favorite eras, the ridiculous game length is reduced to 200 turns by default, workers are actually useful for more than 50 turns, you have more to do each turn than just move units around, you have some semblance of a story that contextualizes what you are doing and with whom, you have a campaign to sink your teeth into (more than 1 if you have the DLC), there is no over-reliance on luxury goods for happiness, and so on and so forth. On top of that, they are supporting the game constantly with patches. I love it. What I would like to see in further DLC and isn't addressed in OW at all (at least I don't think it is) is nations that play significantly differently than others. I've only played with Greece for now, but as far as I can tell the others are Civ-style paintjobs. More campaigns are always welcome too. I don't have enough experience with the game yet to know whether I want them to add something in the gameplay department, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I haven't noticed poor fps at all, but I've only played on a duel map.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Are you playing for more than 100 turns...?
I played for more than 100 turns now and it's not as terrible as you make it out to be. However, I played multiplayer and the friend I was playing with said it was a slideshow by the end, but he has a shit laptop ;d

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The game Civ V should have been.

Teach your AI how to play your games people <- this goes for any genre.

I recently got a new PC, so can't say I noticed any performance issues, but probably would have on my old one..game is very good, I actually quit playing it was so good, so that I could finish some other games I am in the middle of playing (Solesta, Warhammer Demon Hunters) and focus entirely on just playing it soon..

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Honestly I prefer Gal Civ IV to this but it's not bad. Just not as much like Civ as I wanted it to be

blrrmmmff

Scholar
If you use test server, multiplayer is actually very playable now. Good FR too 2v2 on 7 year old PC.

Also aggressive AI is imperative.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I still play CivIV regularly in multiplayer with a couple of buddies due to a lack of alternatives. Shame that performance seems to a be a problem here, because otherwise Old World looks interesting. But some of the PCs we use for the multiplayer sessions are getting up there in years.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If this expands religions it would be pretty neat. Religions are just kind of there in the base game. I'm hoping it will also come with a significant discount to the base game because it's been out for nearly two years now and it has only had -20% off.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've been able to extract all of the portrait files, although there seem to be some strange inconsistencies in the dimensions, so there might not be a means of automating the process of splitting them into individual portraits:
sactx-1-2048x2048-DXT5-character-portraits-72bba97a.png

Similarly for the pictures used for events:

m6xfiv.png

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Thanks. Both the portraits and the images seem leagues above what you'd get in a game of this type.
Consider the shitty direction Paradox took with their art assets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom