Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oldest AoD Screenshots (pre-Torque)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A pal just asked me about the development history of Age of Decadence because I've been on the Codex for a long time and followed this game's development since my join date. And I distinctly remember seeing screenshots here on the Codex of an early pre-alpha version of Age of Decadence that had 2D graphics somewhat reminiscent of games like Eschalon of Jeff Vogel's games, before Vince switched to the Torque engine. I can't find them anymore though, but out of curiosity would like to look at them again.

Maybe Vault Dweller can help?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is a whole bunch on the Codex gallery page from looks of it:

https://rpgcodex.net/gallery.php?album=10

Probably the clearest one:
595.jpg

Farewell into the night

Man, this is amazing! I didn't knew it was 2D in the past.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How does it look better? The trees have a squashed aspect ration and they are blurry, the wall tiles do not match properly, there is no lighting at all which makes some objects with similar materials (e.g. tables, chairs and floor) have very low contrast, the UI has a mismatch of aliased and antialiased elements and highlights that come from random directions and the text has off layout (off-center in some areas, bad padding in other areas).

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
How does it look better? The trees have a squashed aspect ration and they are blurry, the wall tiles do not match properly, there is no lighting at all which makes some objects with similar materials (e.g. tables, chairs and floor) have very low contrast, the UI has a mismatch of aliased and antialiased elements and highlights that come from random directions and the text has off layout (off-center in some areas, bad padding in other areas).
Eh, I didn't focus on the technical stuff. I like it better because of its general art style and the more vibrant colors. And I prefer the font they used there.

CoronerZg

Augur
Eh, I didn't focus on the technical stuff. I like it better because of its general art style and the more vibrant colors. And I prefer the font they used there.
Yeah, this look gives a more traditional D&D vibe... which makes me think; Vince and the team making BG1 type of game in a lush green world, with lots of interesting "companions" (and their hidden motives) :shredder:

And I do like my post apocalypse (AoD is my favorite game in the genre), but I'm just getting tired of it lately and the whole brown-ish color palette. Everything is post apocalypse these days. Give us our green fields and forests! :)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Yeah, this look gives a more traditional D&D vibe... which makes me think; Vince and the team making BG1 type of game in a lush green world, with lots of interesting "companions" (and their hidden motives) :shredder:

And I do like my post apocalypse (AoD is my favorite game in the genre), but I'm just getting tired of it lately and the whole brown-ish color palette. Everything is post apocalypse these days. Give us our green fields and forests! :)

Still waiting for that inquisition game they promised some time ago.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The old version had a certain Vogelesque charm, but for the type of a game they were going for raw, blocky, almost brutalist visuals provided by the Torque engine and the brownish color palette seem much more fitting. It's a violent post-apocalyptic setting, not a Forgotten Realms-like fairy tale.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Vogelesque charm

Nah it's not quite Vogelesque

doesn't make puke leak from my eyes when I look at it so it

Not every game by Vogel has vomit-inducing visuals. It's mostly Geneforge 1 with its greenish menu. Outside of menu it looks okay. Simple, but clear graphics. Fresh green forests, grey labirynths etc. Nethergate also has decent looks.

Yes, the screenshots mostly remind me of Nethergate.

Farewell into the night

This last post reminded me of something. Time to replay Nethergate.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah it's not quite Vogelesque

doesn't make puke leak from my eyes when I look at it so it
38748-nethergate-windows-screenshot-if-you-play-the-celts-you-will.jpg

Nethergate was fine.
660434-exile-iii-ruined-world-windows-3-x-screenshot-one-of-the-many.png

Exile 3 was cute as button.

Yeah Nethergate was fine. Pretty clean and lots of original artwork.

I forget how awesome Exile was graphically though. So colourful and clean at the same time.

Jeff really misunderstood what people wanted when they kept asking him for "Exile style" with Queen's wish.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Amazing that AoD went through fewer graphic overhauls over its dev cycle than what Copper Dreams Mechajammer does in one week.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Jeff really misunderstood what people wanted when they kept asking him for "Exile style" with Queen's wish.
I'm pretty sure that Jeff deliberately misinterpreted it. Just remember how he scoffed at just a thought that six men party, dual wielding or need to ID items was interesting. He hates his best games and thinks that they are mistakes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm pretty sure that Jeff deliberately misinterpreted it. Just remember how he scoffed at just a thought that six men party, dual wielding or need to ID items was interesting. He hates his best games and thinks that they are mistakes.

He hates Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum because apparently offering an editor/mod support takes a lot more long-term support effort for a dev.

I call bullshit on that one because we have healthy mod communities in games where the devs just released the editor with barely any documentation and said "ok have fun with this", then never patched it ever again.
But somehow Jeff thinks if he adds an editor he has to offer support to all the people who have issues with user mods.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
JarlFrank said:
But somehow Jeff thinks if he adds an editor he has to offer support to all the people who have issues with user mods.
He was never very bright. One of the best things that he done with BoE was releasing its source code. Lo and behold, community made a patched version that fixed fucking bugs with nodes (iirc) in no time at all. Back in the times I made a scenario or two for the BoE and these node bugs were truly vexing. You needed to double-check everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom