Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
On Contingency

the hype on Player Agency is another symptom for the markets demand on more individual freedom in RPGs following a long-term trend. non-linear, later on environmental storytelling (show, not tell) and finally sandboxes became standard, although overall its simply branched mainplot with optional side-quests in a framed environment. this evolution from Daggerfall to Kenshi proves the players claim for more control on progression, setting and gameplay, a claim for a more personal and de-streamlined, a more individual gameplay experience: the social (and most basic) aspect of gaming, esp. RPGs always was about identity.

but still the industry relies on ancient systems and their outdated frameworks for gameplay, which stagnated into cosmetic flavors, incarcerating Player Agency in a devolution instead of expanding the systemic limits by adapting the new technical potential - although Remnants Of The Ashes exceeds via procedural level design, overall gameplay is still stuck being an inferior Soulslike, like Outwards blend of Survival and RPG simply is Gothic (gameplay-wise). while this Next Generation allows a lot more of player agency, they still feel limited.

contingency is Schrödingers Katze, contingent design is an adaptive framework not simply altered, but set by the players choices. the next major task of game development will be this Black Box, where the content proactively engages the player for a new dimension of agency. its not simply about offering choices, but to allow the player to create his own choices, his own goals and meanings - to decide for himself if this cat should be saved, burned or is a mere illusion, to write his own story, to make the setting adapt to her/him.
contingency is about potential, freedom and agency, contingency is the (Aristoteles) it-could-be-else(world),-but-u-exist. contingent design creates emergency via proactive adaption to players choices starting with character creation (which is the most intimate identity process).

the success of MineCraft is one of contingent design, as well as Kenshi, The Long Dark etc., but still feel as limited as WoWs (Hazzikostas) emergent gameplay, as these frameworks still coummunicate reactively and force the player to adapt the gemes design - the game already decided on Schrödingers Katze. where the design should adapt to the customer, aka player.

Empire Of Sins , esp. its AI looks promising, if Romero Games exclusively delivers half of its promises, the industry will be one tiny step closer to the next quantum leap in the evolution of games, as Auto-Chess (games have to play themselves), AI Dungeon (procedural, nearly adaptive storytelling) etc were.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
You can do all that and theorize about black boxes and the next major task and so on -- or you can just make the game multiplayer, and take a giant shortcut that'll invalidate most single-player games' efforts by itself. Very few single-player games can match the storytelling potential of even an average multiplayer game session, and the exceptions invariably employ very advanced procedural generation.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
true to the extent of the missing gameplay evolution, at some point every player collaboration will stagnate due to the framework limitations and the deficite of new options. u could also replace multiplayer with a RNG AI, (what Empire of Sins does), but thats not contingent design.
i

Kliwer

Savant
You can do all that and theorize about black boxes and the next major task and so on -- or you can just make the game multiplayer, and take a giant shortcut that'll invalidate most single-player games' efforts by itself. Very few single-player games can match the storytelling potential of even an average multiplayer game session, and the exceptions invariably employ very advanced procedural generation.

For me multiplayer games are totally pointless. When I have a time and will to play with other people I just prefer to meet on P&P session…

Divine Blessing

Scholar
For me multiplayer games are totally pointless. When I have a time and will to play with other people I just prefer to meet on P&P session…

quod erat demonstandrum. P&P session allows for optimal adaption (if DM is quality; even customisation) and maximum agency, which video games limit harshly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lets say that game is about starting as pheasant and you try to became a wizard.

Phasianus-colchicus-2-tom-Lukasz-Lukasik.jpg

Cirtdear

Savant
Imagine if you will a world which has accurate and synthesized pasts and futures. We may travel with the present or jump ahead as time unfolds.
If all the pieces suddenly were removed and where you stood became the new origin you'd be more alone. Image if the cycle keeps repeating.

If every player made their decisions to jump around time, how long before
the unique path from your jumps separates you from others forever?

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
Rejoice foolish mortal for I have The Answer and the answer is:
Princess Maker.

Imagine a world! A whole world where every NPC is a Princess. A Princess that can Grow in their Skills with Time and Training. A Princess that can Fuck. And a Princess that can become The Queen after a Battle Royal against the other Princesses, and the losers would become the subordinate Knights or worse! just Commoners or Wifes!

And then The Queen will give birth to the next generation of Princesses and the Cycle will Continue.

It will have Drama! It will have heart pounding Action! It will have Romeo and Juliet Romances! And it will have an endless number of Backstabbings and Betrayals!

Harthwain

Magister
Reminds me about how Skyrim proved to the mainstream that singleplayer games can still exist and do well. All you have to do is create a sandbox/open world. Making multiplayer game is harder in comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom