Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On graphics and the willpower to withstand it.

OP is a complete faggot

• Total voters

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graphics however are bad and that's coming from someone who mocks graphic whores with a passion.
Go play through Geneforge and Zenfar a few times.
After seeint the abomination such as Zenfar you'll appreciate Fallout.

But I know you won't bother to google it, so I'll do it for you.
4701_51a476e1ce9d1.jpg
4701_51a476dd3bad6.jpg
4701_51a476f4e10b4.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
Fallout 1 and the IE games are about the limit for me for the 2D. Incubation is my limit for 3D I think. Build games are also ok. Anything below that I get annoyed.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Go play through Geneforge and Zenfar a few times.
After seeint the abomination such as Zenfar you'll appreciate Fallout.

But I know you won't bother to google it, so I'll do it for you.
4701_51a476e1ce9d1.jpg
4701_51a476dd3bad6.jpg
4701_51a476f4e10b4.jpg

You're right. A) I wouldn't google it and B) these graphics are indeed abyssmal. Dosen't make olf Fallouts any better looking, but I'm appreciating them a bit more now.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Fallout's graphics are still good today and better than a lot of indie crap that is coming out.

Nice 2d like IE games is a lot better than shitty 3d and shitty 3d gets worse with time.

It's also a matter of tasteful art direction for me, not just the type of engine. Another World is a good example of a game that aged well, because of nice art direction.

pippin

Fallout's graphics might look bad at first sight because everything is brown, but then again the world is supposed to look brown, so it's not a real issue. Besides, The Glow is still one of the creepiest places of the whole Fallout series.

Silva

Arcane
I can't play Skyrim or Mass Effect or Dragon Age because graphics are too detailed and too much is on the screen, how am I supposed to imagine things during gameplay, huh?
Yeah, last time I wanted to play a game I just imagined everything up on my mind. My wife passed by and asked "Wtf are you doing looking to the ceiling with mounth open dripping saliva like a retard!". Then I said Shut up bitch Im finishing an awesome game on my mind and you're ruining my concentration.

Last edited:
Shitty graffix are easy to deal with, it's shitty UI that's annoying. I can imagine a wonderful world when I'm playing an ASCII roguelike, but having to open the command menu every other move to figure out how to do something is a pain (I felt tranquil fury when I found out the command to use a potion was "q", because I had to "quaff" it)

Fix that wall of text and maybe I'll give a shit.

On paragraphs and the willpower to use them.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Oh look, another shitty newfag thread.
And I thought that superior mental functions were required in order to articulate a reasonable and significant sentence, but you prove me wrong. That must be how pros get so many brofists XD
Anyway, anyone saying that fallout graphics is bad should burn in the sixth pit of hell with the other heretics. I bought the classic fallout 'trilogy' from gog and apparently they come together with the hd patch and holy shit isn't this awesome. After so many freaking years and it makes me hard, graphics like that cannot be considered a product of those times, they are an artistic choice capable of passing the test of time and inspiring delight even today.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you care for graphics this much, a lot of older RPGs have excellent pixel art. Just learn to appreciate it for what it is (i.e., pixel art); a lot of effort went into that and a lot of it still looks good.

The next step is just not caring about the graphics at all, and seeing if the gameplay can carry you along. I only got into old RPGs a few years ago myself and haven't looked back since. At this point, I don't care if I'm playing a Skyrim or a Wizardry I, as long as I'm having fun.

deuxhero

Arcane
I can't play 3D PS1 titles (not PS1 quality, just actual PS1 stuff, presumablly due to how it is rendered). Otherwise I have no real limits with graphics.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And I thought that superior mental functions were required in order to articulate a reasonable and significant sentence, but you prove me wrong. That must be how pros get so many brofists XD
Anyway, anyone saying that fallout graphics is bad should burn in the sixth pit of hell with the other heretics. I bought the classic fallout 'trilogy' from gog and apparently they come together with the hd patch and holy shit isn't this awesome. After so many freaking years and it makes me hard, graphics like that cannot be considered a product of those times, they are an artistic choice capable of passing the test of time and inspiring delight even today.

Believe it or not, back in the day (tm) amazing graphics wasn't something that excluded great gameplay - often in games that really pushed forward like Ultima 7, Ultima Underworld and so on you had technical innovations across many levels - graphics being one of them.

Same thing happened with graphic adventures, arcade shmups, whatever genre you might think of.

Now, being unwilling to try a good game because of dated graphics is a silly proposition, but to settle for pixel vomit instead of properly developed and researched graphics cuz INDIES also seems silly to me.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My entire childhood I've spent with a shitty PC.
I couldn't play the latest AAA games without going into the console setting everything to the absolute minimum and only achieving 4 FPS.
So to satisfy my gaming urges, I played older games, with not-as-good graphics, but they were very fun to play.
And for that I'm grateful, otherwise I might've ended up as a dirty :popamole:fan without knowing about all those cool games nobody around me has ever heard about. It's also part of the reason how I got here, since most other RPG forums on the internet seem to be brainwashed mouthbreathers who do not understand 'roleplaying' in a 'roleplaying game'
To be frank, I really don't give a shit about graphics, a silky smooth 60fps has always been more preferable.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
My entire childhood I've spent with a shitty PC.
I couldn't play the latest AAA games without going into the console setting everything to the absolute minimum and only achieving 4 FPS.
So to satisfy my gaming urges, I played older games, with not-as-good graphics, but they were very fun to play.
And for that I'm grateful, otherwise I might've ended up as a dirty :popamole:fan without knowing about all those cool games nobody around me has ever heard about. It's also part of the reason how I got here, since most other RPG forums on the internet seem to be brainwashed mouthbreathers who do not understand 'roleplaying' in a 'roleplaying game'
To be frank, I really don't give a shit about graphics, a silky smooth 60fps has always been more preferable.
:cry: my lost brother, where have you been all this time :cry:?

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
A poll? Is it possible for someone to open a poll without my consent?:whatho:
Cool.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom