Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Once more into the breach! (EU3 MP thread)

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by MasterSmithFandango, Dec 12, 2011.

1. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Alright, I think we should give this another go over the winter months. Once or twice a week games sound good? I'm not much of an organizer, but just think it's something we should consider.

^ Top  
  2. Snefix Novice

Snefix
    I'd be on board with participating. I've never done an EU3 MP game, but I've done plenty of single player games.

i.e. I'm fresh meat. :salute:

^ Top  
  3. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Don't worry, we were a surprisingly forgiving bunch. Not nearly as much ruthlessness as you would expect from Codexers.

^ Top  
  4. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    I'd love too but last time I tried I had constant problems.

^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I'm fully behind this, bro Noodles! January is a good time to start! How about we start in 6 or 7 January? I will travel to Rio de Janeiro, and I will stay there from 21th until the New Year, so I think that by 7th I will be already back and rested to the lands of fair Amazonia.

We should also compose a more definitive set of Gentlemen's Rules. And a more organized Reserve Player rules.

Also, no more leaving like faggots when someone archieves world power level. See everyone wanting to restart just because Malakal owned most of Central and Eastern Europe.

We should also make a LP out of this, if possible. Don't ask me, I'm not good at LPing.

Mods or vanilla Divine Wind? Death and Taxes would be fun, maybe Miscmods too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Death and Taxes... I don't know how balanced it is. I'd probably say vanilla DW for ease. I could make an LP, but think, it's only from one perspective. AARs from the major movers would probably make more sense.

As far as clear Gentlemen's Rules and player rules, I agree.

^ Top  
  7. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    FFS!

It's Once more unto the breach

Waiting to read some awesome backstabbing AARs with much'o'butthurt.

^ Top  
  8. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    I'M SO SORRY!!

I am ashamed of being corrected on a Shakespeare quote from some (Fin? Swede?)

^ Top  
  9. Breaking Axe Educated

Breaking Axe
    I'm mostly familiar with Magna Mundi but I wouldn't mind giving multiplayer vanilla a shot providing the game starts at a palatable time for GMT +10

^ Top  
  10. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    I'm in, as always.

^ Top  
  11. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Sorry, not looking to reinstall. Besides, I'm scared you guys would gang up on me and make me feel bad.

^ Top  
  12. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Sure, sign me up! Before Death & Taxes is finalized however, we'd have to check for imbalances or a lot bugs, because there's a high likelihood of both...

^ Top  
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    As a rule of thumb I think we should always have someone playing with the Big 6 (Portugal, Castille, France, England, Austria, Sweden). As we have observed, they're the biggest, strongest, meanest nations of the game, and they all balance each other out when played by humans, otherwise they blob like hell. Usually, Super-Castilles, early Great Britains and super Kalmar Union Swedens. Games without a HRE player end up as a HRE scramble sooner or later, like what happened after Sulimo left in our first game, so I think we always need at least one or two HRE players. Now, about that Big Blue Blob...

[​IMG]

Aren't you a first wolder with a cheap chinese made immense hd? Don't be a cheapskate (that's my schitck!), come on and fight! Do you wanna be a dragon?

Anyway, gangbangs are usually done when someone growns too much in power. Its kind of a balancing act. It doesn't always work, see Malakal's Poland.
    Also, we had kind a HRE scramble after Sulimo left. :lol: :lol: It was actually one of the reasons the war begann.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    I would play with dudes from Paradox forums but they scare me. Wayyyyyyyy too competitive for me. So hopefully this game actually gets somewhere.

I support the idea of prepicked nations. With slight modifications:
    1. Portugal OR Argaon is a must.
    2. Castille is a must unless both Portugal and Aragon are human controlled.
    3. France definitely needs to be human controlled and by a person who shows up regularly.
    4. England is a must.
    5. Austria is a must.
    6. Denmark or Sweden are optional but good ideas. Must haves if Russian power is present.
    7. Poland or Brandenburg or Bohemia or Muscovy or Novgorod should be human controlled. Preferably one central European nation and one Russian. Russian one shouldnt be played if it doesnt have at least two competitors nearby.
    8. Ottoman Empire is a must.

This places us at 2 Iberian + 2 other western European + 2 central European + 1 north European + 2 eastern European powers totalling 9 players for a fairly balanced game.

^ Top  
  15. raw Arcane Patron

raw
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    i am on board.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    I don't know how necessary the Ottoman's are, unless you want a check on Austrian expansion into Hungary and whatnot....

I think we should also do things with player v player wars. War goals and a neutral arbiter at the end of the war to divide spoils or something.

And it seems like we have 7 or so that are looking to do this, and I may be able to get my brother on board as well. He's a fledgling and will probably threaten to kick someones ass if he gets pissed, but he's a warm body.

^ Top  
  17. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Ottomans are complicated. On one hand, major western european powers can keep them in check. On the other, a lone Ottoman player has pretty much a free pass to do whatever he wants to the Middle-East and Central Asia.

Ming is similar. On one hand, they're HUGE, and quite centralized if I remember right, and that means THEY GOT HUGE GUTS!!! RIP AND TEAR! Ming can pretty much rape anyone they want. The only things that stop Ming's expansion are the hordes, the factions and the fact that most lands around them either suck (Mongolia, Tibet, Central Asia) or are very well defended (Tibet, Hordes, Japan). I'm afraid of us letting someone play Ming and suddently, the Russian/Ottoman/Poland player tells us he's bordering Ming. In the year 1450. Also, a out-of-hand Ming is either invincible or the world is going to see a heartbreaking awesome example of european unity and friendship as all of Europe unites together to kick the yellow men down.

My suggestion is simple: Warscore demands, no fake demands, you can only take cores if you also got a claim to them (though the spy mission that makes claims), uncored territories are free deal unless they're five years until being cored.

Also, a crazy idea: Claims-only rule ends at 1760. From then thereafter, its MERCYLESS RAPE TIME! This is a idea to give most countries time to expand, consolidate, westernize, colonize and make its alliances, so everyone readies himself. By the time we reach such timer, most players are ready, mature and consolidated. Then we up the stakes and end the claim-only rule. This makes the Rape-Carriage start moving, with no brakes.

Crazy Idea 2: Colonies are exempt from the claim rule. Perhaps with the exception of Portugal/Castille/Aragon in America (Tordesilla Rule?). Another exception could be made if any country's Capital is in America, then the Claim rule is in European and American holdings.

Cool! Which nation he might play? He's fresh, but he will learn in no time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Ottoman Empire is there to keep in check both Austria and Russia, possibly also Iberian power aiming for Northern Africa/France wanting to expand into Egypt. OE is the natural competitor for Russia, otherwise Russia gets free reign east.

Ming is too isolated to be worthwile.

It should work like this:
    Portugal and France keep in check Aragon/Castille, France is kept in check by Engand/Castille/HRE, Central Europe (HRE/Bohemia/Poland) is kept by North and Russia/OE, in the east OE and Russia watch each other while being watched by Central Europe. Unfortunately there is nothing east from that, but hopefully western Europe will aim for India and that gives us full circle...

^ Top  
  19. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Does Magna Mundi have multiplayer? Because administrative efficiency tends to contains the blobs pretty well.

^ Top  
  20. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    It doesnt. OOS everywhere and buggy, laggy, unablanced.

^ Top  
  21. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    In general mods to Paradox games don't, the file-matching is all kinds of buggered with them.

^ Top  
  22. Reject_666_6 Arcane

Reject_666_6
    Team Codexia is back, eh?

Regarding mods, I've successfully played MEIOU with a friend with a direct IP connection, and we had no problems with synchronisation or stability. The downside is that MEIOU loads fucking slow.

^ Top  
  23. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    It's also an unfinished piece of shit.

^ Top  
  24. Reject_666_6 Arcane

Reject_666_6
    Well the latest Magna Mundi is a port of a port, so you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.