Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Once more into the breach! (EU3 MP thread)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, as a variable a small mod is easy to control, and if it's set-up with proper backup files it can be removed within two minutes if it doesn't work.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Who was the last host? Wans't it Reject or Muty?

It was Muty, I was just the Skype host a.k.a. the guy who kept calling everybody.

The Brazilian Slaughter said:
I'm thinking Hungary, big, nice nation in the middle of Europe. Balkans to the south, Austrians and general germans to the West, Italy to the South-West, Poland-Lithuania in the north, Russian Minors and Golden Horde to the east and Ottomans in the South-East. Nice place for a player.

It's not quite as easy as you think, you'll have a lot of provinces but their population is low as hell, and accordingly so is their tax output, and Eastern tech group is a pain in the ass. Unfortunately, Vaarna is racist against Western Europe's green-eyed, big-dicked neighbours, so if we go with the mod you'll be left even further in the dust.

Vaarna_Aarne

It's not hard for me to mod the tech group limitations. Takes less than a minute (feedback and suggestions in general are always appreciated).

XenomorphII

Prophet
Here is a list of who has said they are playing and their country selections so far, just as an aid to others who might be up for joining. Oh and I am GMT -6 (US Central Time), and I do not think my connection would allow me to host. Also I think we should just go with plain vanilla, as mods will just make it harder to get this working.

FSM- Le blob (France)
Snefix- Poland
oscar-
TBS- Venice/Portugal/Hungary
Malakal- Ottos/Castille/England/France/Austria
Breaking Axe- Sweden
Renegen- Aragon
Undead Phoenix-
raw-
Vaarna- Sweden
Merk- Sweden/Austria/Bohemia/Burgundy
hoodoo- Byzantium
root-
reject 666- Milan
Xeno- Brandenburg, Teutonic Order
Krash- Spectator
Chef- Venice

Reject_666_6

Arcane
It's not hard for me to mod the tech group limitations. Takes less than a minute (feedback and suggestions in general are always appreciated).
What really breaks tech group balance isn't really just the modifier, it's the neighbour bonus that builds on top of that. There's always some one-province HRE minor that shoots ahead in all areas due to the AI having a bonus to research rates, and that gives huge bonuses to everyone else in Western tech group. Meanwhile, the potato division has no such luck. This could be fixed by disabling any research boost the AI gets, so that the players themselves, thanks to their economic prowess, will be the tech leaders and won't get popamole handholding from the AI. That should keep the proportion of West:East at 85% as was intended, instead of the 70% that happens in practice.

Vaarna_Aarne

I thought you were talking about my mod, which just covered Finland and gave minors something to do with ducats and colonists in certain conditions.

But with that, I tend to agree. It actually gets even worse when you move outside of Eastern Europe. At the moment I can't say of the ease of modding it, though if it isn't in static_modifiers.txt or the cfg, I'd be stumped.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Well I did hint that you should make the same option available to all European countries, but the tech group rant is unrelated.

Vaarna_Aarne

So not available to non-euros? It's still an easy job, just less than a minute of typing and then five or so minutes of testing, just list the limitations.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
A fair approach would be to make it available to all countries after they reach a certain tech level, like Trade level 10, for example. That way, West, Ottoman and East can get it before anybody else, but without locking the rest out entirely.

Vaarna_Aarne

Changing the limiter from tech group to tech level is easy peasy, though I'd tie it to Production.

Renegen

Arcane
Bah, let me just call out Aragon right here and now.

I also think that maybe we could open the field to japanese clans. The most fun I've ever had was playing as different clans in Magna Mundi. Japan is a zero-sum game and the sense of desperation one gets as things evolve it great.

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright, I'm back home and went through the usual suspects. It seems the AI research bonus might be hardcoded, since it's not in defines or static_modifiers.

So, about my Settlers and Provincial Investment decisions... You want me to remove tech group limits entirely and replace them with tech level limits? Personally I'm thinking of Production 10 for the +1 Base Tax (Provincial Investment) and Trade 10 for +200 population (Settlers). The other limiting factors are having less than 16 provinces and less than 5 base tax for Provincial Investment plus 100 ducats, and less than 5000 population for Settlers.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Can I join in on this? Last time we played I got caught up in school and other stuff stuff, but it should be better this semester. If I can, I'd like to reserve Venice. I would try the Knights but countries like that are so shitty in vanilla.

Vaarna_Aarne

Also, setting up the mod should be easy, as long as I take a checksum and post it with the finalized files.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Adding Asian nations is fine as long as we have all major European players in place, otherwise I am against it.

I'm also against heavy modding but as long as we manage something easy then sure, why not. Vaarne_Aarne would have to set up a working dl link so people coming to the game can download it at the same time if they are not prepared.

I wouldnt recommend Hungary as it is a poor and overall weak nation, even Poland is better (still hard tho).

Byzantium isnt really viable but if hoodoo is dead set on it then he can have it...

Alright, when I get home from vacation I will try to see if I can host, since we apparently are suffering from a lack of BROs. We will need at least one alternate, however, so someone else get your ass in gear! My brother is also interested in playing... I'll get him registered on the forums and set up and everything.

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright, I'll set up a DL link for the mod files and post a checksum after I've done all the finalized changes and reinstalled the whole thing clean.

PS: I think Saturdays would be the ideal session day, Sunday is Codex Movie Night (and for me, CthulhuTech).

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Can I join in on this? Last time we played I got caught up in school and other stuff stuff, but it should be better this semester. If I can, I'd like to reserve Venice. I would try the Knights but countries like that are so shitty in vanilla.
I don't wanna deter you from playing, but I mentioned I'll be playing Milan, and that Venice would be my first target on the path to world domination.

I'm another with internet being too unreliable to host (1st world prices, 3rd world service, 3rd world speeds... actually - that's a lie, you get better speeds over there).

Preferred nation would be England or Naples.

As for Vaarna_Aarne's mod, despite him being a bro, I don't think it's a good idea. Doubt it'll be the end of the world either way though :bro:

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
I don't wanna deter you from playing, but I mentioned I'll be playing Milan, and that Venice would be my first target on the path to world domination.

I keep reconsidering who I want to play, I was thinking about playing the Ottomans again, now that I know how not to break my country.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ottomans are quite hard in vanilla since AI is sure to gang you. But in MP it doesnt really work that way unless you become a big threat... Fun to play too.

But it seems we are running out of nations I could play. Can we have an updated list so I can specify?

Vaarna_Aarne

So since my mod is in, I guess I can be Finland and someone else can be Sweden? It does require a quick set-up save, but shouldn't be too hard if there's a Swedish player too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom