Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One D&D Discussion

Stella Brando

Arcane
The age of editions is over

The age of the meta-dition has come

Let us discuss the One D&D to rule them all

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I'm at 3 mins in and all I can think about is how torturous it would be to be stuck in a life raft with any of these twaddlers (yeah you could just push them out but I'm a gentle soul unfortunately)

clearly the future of DnD is secure

edit: ok watched it all. At about 4 mins they finally say something substantive which is that WotC or whover's in charge of DnD now has 'acquired' DnD Beyond (I thought it was owned by WotC but I don't really like anything after 1E so I'm just a loathsome ignoramus) and they're updating it to have a 3d virtual tabletop via the unreal engine. So in addition to the people in charge of DnD being a bunch of blithering ugmos they're also going to take it upon themselves to (indirectly, but if you think this isn't going to be compulsory just like every other 'optional' convenience feature everywhere ever you are retarded) control your campaign's aesthetics.

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
After I discovered Adnd1e, B/X , Odnd and all it's retroclones, I just stopped to care about modern day wotc dnd. They can eat itself for all I'm concerned.

0wca

Learned

Agree with the video, but I'd still like to make a case for VTTs in general, not the D&Done virtual abomination coming our way.

I use Foundry VTT and it offers a completely customizable experience with no microtransactions. Most modules are free and let you set up a game the way you want to, either with just a flat, hand-drawn map with a couple of tokens, or a fully interactive map with lighting, interactive doors and dynamic lighting. Also, you buy the program once and you're done. No subscriptions.

Obviously playing IRL is always better, but the fact is that (at least from my recent experience) it's harder and harder to schedule an IRL session. VTTs thus provide a way to play, but only those that still treat the game as a TTRPG and NOT a video game.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Agree with the video, but I'd still like to make a case for VTTs in general, not the D&Done virtual abomination coming our way.

I use Foundry VTT and it offers a completely customizable experience with no microtransactions. Most modules are free and let you set up a game the way you want to, either with just a flat, hand-drawn map with a couple of tokens, or a fully interactive map with lighting, interactive doors and dynamic lighting. Also, you buy the program once and you're done. No subscriptions.

Obviously playing IRL is always better, but the fact is that (at least from my recent experience) it's harder and harder to schedule an IRL session. VTTs thus provide a way to play, but only those that still treat the game as a TTRPG and NOT a video game.

My group uses Tabletop Simulator and we have a blast. Our table sits on a landing platform with a Star Destroyer chasing a Corellian Corvette. There's a loader and a small freight also on the landing pad. In the background you have a moon with a base, a planet, and the aforementioned Star Destroyer plus Corellian Corvette. I have used miniatures and premade location maps for like a mall and a cantina.

0wca

Learned

My group uses Tabletop Simulator and we have a blast. Our table sits on a landing platform with a Star Destroyer chasing a Corellian Corvette. There's a loader and a small freight also on the landing pad. In the background you have a moon with a base, a planet, and the aforementioned Star Destroyer plus Corellian Corvette. I have used miniatures and premade location maps for like a mall and a cantina.

Yup, it really simplifies prepping and automates a lot of grunt work and math, which leaves more time for RP and makes combat faster to run.

Mortmal

Arcane
Cant disagreee with him that their online vtt will be riddled with micro transactions and cosmetics for your characters, its just common sense .

Larianshill

Arbiter

A quick summary of the video:

1. Four class "Groups": Warrior, Mage, Priest, and Expert
  2. This UA will showcase the Expert Group: Bard, Ranger, and Rogue (Artificer also falls under this group but will NOT be in the new PHB).
  3. Reverted Crit rules to 2014 version but now you gain inspiration on a Nat 1.
  4. All new "Rules Glossaries" will overwrite the previous UA's Rules Glossaries
  5. Every member of the Expert group gets Expertise (including Ranger)
  6. Expert Group can sample from other classes (like the Bard's magical secrets)
  7. ASIs are now a feat you can choose instead of a default feature.
  8. Class capstones come at Level 18, Level 20 grants an Epic Boon in the form of a feat
  9. 48 total subclasses designed so far, some are new, this document will only show 1 subclass for each of the three featured classes.
  10. If you can cast a Spell with a Ritual tag, you can automatically cast it as a Ritual, you no longer need the Ritual Caster feature or feat
  11. UA dropping 9/29

Larianshill

Arbiter
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compend...es/kpx0MvyfBGHe0XKk/UA2022-Expert-Classes.pdf

unknown.png

Misty step once per short rest on level 20. Epic boon. Nuff said.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
5e has a solid core but tons of terrible issues that add up to ruin the game and I get the impression that one D&D is going to fix few or none of those things. Also will one d&d have core rulebooks and splatbooks or is it gonna force us to use Beyond D&D? Haven't found any info on that

Gyor

Savant
Since this thread got last update, the Cleric, Paladin, Druid, and new version of the Goliath have been released.

Also another playtest packet is coming in April with the Warrior Class group, weapons and more (its supposed to be a chunkier packet, so who knows what else will be in it).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
wtf is this

is this when they stop using the word race

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom