Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One day I'll play Mount and Blade.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They haven't really announced anything yet -- one of the developers just briefly mentioned it in an interview.

mikaelis said:
Where is the fucking story after all those fucking 4 years? It is still about riding your horse with your cohorts swinging your sword or shooting with your bow. So much potential, and such a little progress... And all those mods that do nothing but change setting and adding some minor chanes resulting in tech demo ad 2007 being tech demo 2011 :roll:

It was never supposed to have a story, the game is about trading and combat for the sake of it. I agree that it would be nice if modders focused on a direction instead of making a zillion mods adding some minor items, each.

Every once in awhile I find a new mod that makes me gain interest in M&B again. The Necromancer/Summoner thread clued me into Soul & Shade, and its fun as hell. Patchworks may be weaker than your average Farmer, but they're easy to pack your party with and cost little in resources. Between scavenging for them in the day and raiding graveyards at night for zombie fodder, even a newbie can raise armies.

And mid-game, they're still useful. Iif repelling that latest siege on your properties cost you a lot of troops both garrisoned and in your group, it's not so bad. The spoils inventory will include plenty of enemy corpses to raise as zombies, and you can convert your captured prisoners in wholesale lots. *Execute* *Raise* *Garrison*. Then auto-scavenge for Patchworks while your party heals in your castle/town.

Making your own enchantment items, managing the comparatively massive horde of materials you need for production of high level minions (Golems don't make themselves you know, and this time you *need* the expanded storage afforded with each castle taken), hunting around for artifacts and figuring out some of the Blood Fountain's vaguer clues keeps me interested.

Just wish it had the functionality of Warband. Oh, and good luck if you run into any of the other Necromancer parties while low level. Abominations are perfectly capable of soloing twenty low level undead by themselves and then have enough in them to burst through the rest of your lines and one shot you.

Mounted? Yeah, you're safe from Abominations as long as you keep moving, but you still have to look out for the dark red guys with a cannon for an arm. Blood Engines will obliterate you. That is if one of the high level mounted units like Shadowlords or Bloodpreservers don't. Even the newbie mounted Horrors can spread hellacious chaos on the battlefield.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
it's a fun game... for a while... and not enough to go through some of the more annoying stuff to see the 'you win' screen more than once

let me save you some trouble:
XxU86.jpg

getting there is satisfying... seeing that is pretty anticlimactic, though... and you don't get to play after that (warband experiences)

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Vamkb.png

Mostly Prophesy of Pendor.
Although I'm as big storyfag as possible, I obviously played for the gameplay.

Clockwork Knight said:
mikaelis said:
Where is the fucking story after all those fucking 4 years? It is still about riding your horse with your cohorts swinging your sword or shooting with your bow. So much potential, and such a little progress... And all those mods that do nothing but change setting and adding some minor chanes resulting in tech demo ad 2007 being tech demo 2011 :roll:

It was never supposed to have a story, the game is about trading and combat for the sake of it. I agree that it would be nice if modders focused on a direction instead of making a zillion mods adding some minor items, each.

Actually, it was. It originally was supposed to be an RPG with small scale combat (think 0.7xx and back) included. Newfags leapt on to the game and demanded ever greater things regarding combat, armour, and so on. The shallow aspects...then complained about the graphics...one day the 'RPG' part was quietly dropped from the M&B frontpage. Progress ensued.

We now have Mount and Blade, the...wargame?

I find it far too shallow an experience, with little to do apart from having the same old battles, over and over again. The enemies used to be tougher, soldiers took longer to upgrade, and the direction was much different.

It doesn't matter. I got my few zogbucks worth out of it back in the beta stages.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Just checked out some reviews of these games:

GameZone said:
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword is the right fit for anyone interested in sweeping historical epics as well as incredibly complex and realistic RPGs. If you’re like me, you’d be happier watching spiky anime-haired teenagers throwing fireballs at each other. A fantastic entry for fans of the genre, but a convoluted mess to the rest of us.

:M

Eyeball

Arcane
Whatever you pay for Mount&Blade, it is easily worth twice that. EASILY one of the top ten games of the past decade and one I find myself returning to again and again due to the many badass mods allowing you to play anything from a Conan wannabe to an elvish ranger to an Imperial Stormtrooper.

Quilty

Magister
Hi, my name is Quilty, I'm a graphicswhore and I cannot play a game that looks like ass even though everyone is praising the gameplay. :(

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Fun game, but I can't bring myself to argue with any of the criticisms. I paid a pittance for the beta years ago, and while it hasn't really advanced as much as I'd like, I've certainly had my money's worth, run through a campaign until it gets tedious every year or so. Think it might be time to make another trip into it, actually...

CorpseZeb

Learned
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I saw it in a store. In a Superseller edition for 40PLN. Only a few years and it will finally drop to the Classics edition and I'll be able to buy it for 20PLN.

40 gold pieces, sir? Two Worlds II is in the range, but it is not most adviseable. For 40 gold pieces, sir, you can have... 8 bottles of fine porter.

Ps. ... or Minecraft, or Downfall, or Gemini Rue (fame of www.wadjeteyegames.com) or PPPPPP - soundtrack of VVVVVV (www.souleye.se/pppppp). Such a fine choices.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Pelvis Knot said:
Vamkb.png

Mostly Prophesy of Pendor.
Although I'm as big storyfag as possible, I obviously played for the gameplay.

Damn. You play long enough to start running into parties like this?

I question how a band of farmers had a string of victories long enough to grow into that.

http://i.imgur.com/w1Qkf.jpg

I saw such armies, but I just avoid them since they are horribly slow...

The farmers probably took part in some big battle, the ravenstern troops you see got liberated and hired by them

Phelot

Arcane
Quilty said:
Hi, my name is Quilty, I'm a graphicswhore and I cannot play a game that looks like ass even though everyone is praising the gameplay. :(

Try the Polished Landscapes mod. It looks insanely good even though there are some glitches (you can ride through trees)

From what I understand, the maker of it quit or something, but that may not be true anymore, it's been awhile since I last looked into it. Why we can't have games looks this good out of the box I don't understand.

mbpolishedlandscapes08.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Wow, that is just incredible. Honestly, I paid $19 for M&B, Warband, and Fire & Sword (and got two (crappy) TF2 hats) and it's been an awesome purchase. Played about 20 hours of M&B, and like going back all the time with mods and whatnot to fight for a couple hours.

Also, those saying the graphics are ass: compared to what? Look at that there up above! The graphics are excellent and run very well with detail cranked, or at least they do on my 18 month old system.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I saw it in a store. In a Superseller edition for 40PLN. Only a few years and it will finally drop to the Classics edition and I'll be able to buy it for 20PLN.

Why don't you pirate it like you pirate everything else?

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Can anyone recommend any particularly good mods? Picked the three-pack up on a Steam sale a few months ago and I've had a lot of fun with them. It would be nice to be able to change things up if I ever want to replay in the future, though. Made a note of that Necromancy mod already.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
commie said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Why don't you pirate it like you pirate everything else?
Yeah, because refusing to buy games basing on price and understanding why other people don't want to buy them basing on a price totally means that someone "pirates everything". Go and kill yourself, you subhuman moron.

Phelot

Arcane
Daemongar said:
Also, those saying the graphics are ass: compared to what? Look at that there up above! The graphics are excellent and run very well with detail cranked, or at least they do on my 18 month old system.

Well, that's with the Polished Landscape texture pack. The vanilla textures are pretty awful. It's amazing what some quality textures can do to a game.

Mister Arkham said:
Can anyone recommend any particularly good mods? Picked the three-pack up on a Steam sale a few months ago and I've had a lot of fun with them. It would be nice to be able to change things up if I ever want to replay in the future, though. Made a note of that Necromancy mod already.

I need to pick up Warband since some nice looking mods are for it. I've heard good things about the previously mentioned Prophecy of Pendor, Brytenwalda, and Floris. They look good and the change logs sound nice, but I have no idea what they're actually like.

For Vanilla, I've pretty much been using the Native Expansion that restores a bunch of stuff that was in the Beta apparently, like the dark knights. Also the Polished Landscape textures. There is a Polished Buildings mod that also looks good, but from what I recall it doesn't work with the PL which is stupid, but whatever.

Coyote

Arcane
I keep meaning to pick up M&B, too.

I remember people recommending that you stick with an older version of Mount and Blade rather than getting Warband (which as I understand it is technically a different game but very similar) when it came out because it cut/streamlined some features in a way that they didn't like. Or maybe it wasn't compatible with old mods? I'm not sure. Anyway, what's the deal with it these days? Is there any reason to prefer the original over Warband or vice-versa? Are mods compatible with both versions or specific to each one? And is With Fire and Sword worth getting?

corvus

Arcane
Man, I paid like $7-$10 for the beta a long time ago, and then paid full price when the game was officially released (lost the serial key)... and again when Warband came out (lost the serial key for that too)... I'm not paying for the same game four times, I'm pirating it. Fuck you moralfags.

Coyote said:
I keep meaning to pick up M&B, too.

I remember people recommending that you stick with an older version of Mount and Blade rather than getting Warband (which as I understand it is technically a different game but very similar) when it came out because it cut/streamlined some features in a way that they didn't like. Or maybe it wasn't compatible with old mods? I'm not sure. Anyway, what's the deal with it these days? Is there any reason to prefer the original over Warband or vice-versa? Are mods compatible with both versions or specific to each one? And is With Fire and Sword worth getting?

Not really much point in sticking to the original version, I don't think people are going to be developing mods for it much anymore. And I got the impression (and some general consensus) saying that Fire and Sword was just an official mod and doesn't really add whole new features and improvements like Warband did for vanilla.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, Warband isn't compatible with the old mods so at the time of its release it wasn't very appealing, but most of the old mods are dead anyway and it sounds like there's a lot of cool stuff for WB so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom