Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One day I'll play Mount and Blade.

Eyeball

Arcane
Play B'Walda for a while - nice to play this era of history, I barely recognise anything on the map of England.

Only one thing: All combat messages and stuff are gone. I want them back, god damnit! How do I do so?

Michael Ellis

Scholar
Project: Eternity
I have played M&B since version .4 or whatever and all I have to say is fuck the haters :M
But seriously, I have been playing Prophesy of Pendor and I think the AI is cheating as I capture my first city, it is awarded to me, three other Kingdoms immediately declare war on my faction, and I lose the battle defending my new city. :x

sirfink

Scholar
It doesn't take much to get the Codex fired up.

A single post about the price of M&B in Poland and we're on to 4 pages of trolling and troll bait.

Eyeball

Arcane
If you raised a rebel army, invaded Detroit and announced it the Grandy Duchy of Ellisburg, I doubt you'd get much sympathy from Canadians or Mexicans either. But yeah, the "create your own kingdom!" feature of M&B mods is one I've really never bothered with since it seems to rely on you winning a fight against literally more than a thousand enemy soldiers once you declare independence - and then repeating that process every fucking week since the AI raises troops at a downright obscene level. If I wanted that kind of grind, I'd reactivate my WoW account.

I wish there was a mod that was somewhat realistic about troop numbers and recruitment, especially on the part of the AI. You kick some lords ass, he runs away to his castle, the next week he's cruising around with an army as titanic as the one you just beat. Downright disheartening.

Brytenwalda seems pretty cool if you like melee gangbangs. Sadly, most factions in it seem to be pretty samey for that reason, there's less variety in the troop trees than in PoP, for instance. My favourite feature so far would have to be the funeral pyres you can light after winning a battle, dotting the landscape with evidence of your past massacres.

What exactly am I supposed to be DOING in Brytenwalda, by the way? Unlike other mods, BW has more than 30 factions with just a city or two each and a few lords, so it doesn't seem like I need to align myself with any one faction and then battle the two or three other neighbouring ones. Is BW supposed to be a "go solo" experience? Take a city, wipe out owning faction, face off against the rest of post-Roman Britain on my own?

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Michael Ellis said:
I have played M&B since version .4 or whatever and all I have to say is fuck the haters :M
But seriously, I have been playing Prophesy of Pendor and I think the AI is cheating as I capture my first city, it is awarded to me, three other Kingdoms immediately declare war on my faction, and I lose the battle defending my new city. :x

How high is your Right to Rule?

Also, here is a strategy for you:
1) Conquer the city, leave it unassigned.
2) Immediately go conquer a castle you can siege with ladders.
3) You'll lose the city. Now immediately conquer it again while it still has weak defenses.
4) Repeat as necessary.
5) Profit.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Every once in awhile I find a new mod that makes me gain interest in M&B again. The Necromancer/Summoner thread clued me into Soul & Shade, and its fun as hell. Patchworks may be weaker than your average Farmer, but they're easy to pack your party with and cost little in resources. Between scavenging for them in the day and raiding graveyards at night for zombie fodder, even a newbie can raise armies.

And mid-game, they're still useful. Iif repelling that latest siege on your properties cost you a lot of troops both garrisoned and in your group, it's not so bad. The spoils inventory will include plenty of enemy corpses to raise as zombies, and you can convert your captured prisoners in wholesale lots. *Execute* *Raise* *Garrison*. Then auto-scavenge for Patchworks while your party heals in your castle/town.

Making your own enchantment items, managing the comparatively massive horde of materials you need for production of high level minions (Golems don't make themselves you know, and this time you *need* the expanded storage afforded with each castle taken), hunting around for artifacts and figuring out some of the Blood Fountain's vaguer clues keeps me interested.

Just wish it had the functionality of Warband. Oh, and good luck if you run into any of the other Necromancer parties while low level. Abominations are perfectly capable of soloing twenty low level undead by themselves and then have enough in them to burst through the rest of your lines and one shot you.

Mounted? Yeah, you're safe from Abominations as long as you keep moving, but you still have to look out for the dark red guys with a cannon for an arm. Blood Engines will obliterate you. That is if one of the high level mounted units like Shadowlords or Bloodpreservers don't. Even the newbie mounted Horrors can spread hellacious chaos on the battlefield.
You're welcome. *summons a zombie giant*

There are better mods though, as specified in the thread, Prophecy of Pendor is good as it adds random events when you control land, along the lines of "Castle lord, there's mercenaries who wish to hire themselves out to you!" or "A horse thief stole all the village's horses, give us money for new ones!"

Also, to original poster: even 10x the hourly wage is STILL worth the price of Mount & Blade, totally worth it for the sheer number of hours of entertainment. Never delete it off your hard drive :)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Satan said:
Mount & Blade Złota Edycja PC PL (Warband + Ogniem i Mieczem)
Nasza cena: 29,99 PLN

http://sklep.wirtus.pl/produkt/636500

box edition, cheaper than sale on steam
It's because it's a sale. And store sales have lower prices because their goal is not only to sell more stuff but also to remove it from the inventory and thus free up space for other stuff.
The normal price is 69,99PLN which is as much work as 69,99$/Euro/GBP.

I once saw War in the Pacific for 5PLN in Tesco.

sirfink said:
It doesn't take much to get the Codex fired up.

A single post about the price of M&B in Poland and we're on to 4 pages of trolling and troll bait.
Trolling?

flabbyjack said:
Every once in awhile I find a new mod that makes me gain interest in M&B again. The Necromancer/Summoner thread clued me into Soul & Shade, and its fun as hell. Patchworks may be weaker than your average Farmer, but they're easy to pack your party with and cost little in resources. Between scavenging for them in the day and raiding graveyards at night for zombie fodder, even a newbie can raise armies.

And mid-game, they're still useful. Iif repelling that latest siege on your properties cost you a lot of troops both garrisoned and in your group, it's not so bad. The spoils inventory will include plenty of enemy corpses to raise as zombies, and you can convert your captured prisoners in wholesale lots. *Execute* *Raise* *Garrison*. Then auto-scavenge for Patchworks while your party heals in your castle/town.

Making your own enchantment items, managing the comparatively massive horde of materials you need for production of high level minions (Golems don't make themselves you know, and this time you *need* the expanded storage afforded with each castle taken), hunting around for artifacts and figuring out some of the Blood Fountain's vaguer clues keeps me interested.

Just wish it had the functionality of Warband. Oh, and good luck if you run into any of the other Necromancer parties while low level. Abominations are perfectly capable of soloing twenty low level undead by themselves and then have enough in them to burst through the rest of your lines and one shot you.

Mounted? Yeah, you're safe from Abominations as long as you keep moving, but you still have to look out for the dark red guys with a cannon for an arm. Blood Engines will obliterate you. That is if one of the high level mounted units like Shadowlords or Bloodpreservers don't. Even the newbie mounted Horrors can spread hellacious chaos on the battlefield.

There are better mods though, as specified in the thread, Prophecy of Pendor is good as it adds random events when you control land, along the lines of "Castle lord, there's mercenaries who wish to hire themselves out to you!" or "A horse thief stole all the village's horses, give us money for new ones!"

Oh, I know. I've even recommended it in previous threads. As well as to stay away from the Noldor.

Phelot

Arcane
Has anyone managed to get Polished Landscapes to work with Prophecy of Pendor? A lot of textures seem to be missing even though I followed the directions by Polished Landscape exactly editing the PoP ini and transferring over textures, etc.

oscar

Arcane
I'm finding Blood and Steel really unstable. Lots of crashes and stuttering when in battle. Anyone have any ideas for fixes? Other than that I'm really enjoying it.

Phelot

Arcane
oscar said:
I'm finding Blood and Steel really unstable. Lots of crashes and stuttering when in battle. Anyone have any ideas for fixes? Other than that I'm really enjoying it.

Haven't tried that one, but I've had it in other mods. Seems like it's just a performance issue. Try limiting battle size, rag doll amount, corpses?

I've found that in a lot of mods, fighting in mountains causes massive stuttering. Like slideshow stuttering. Not sure why...

oscar

Arcane
:x

Had 7,000 Nords attacking Praven and 700 defenders or so and the siege took a fucking hour and a half. I had to alt-tab this shit (died in the first twenty minutes) and then the fucking thing crashes with one enemy Nord left (he was just standing on the ramp and the AI was too fucktarded to get the spearmen to move aside so the crossbowmen could shoot him). So yeah get a book or something if your defending during a siege in Blood and Steel. Also shops across Caradia seem to no longer stock cannon balls or gauntlets any more.

Native Warband runs smooth as butter on Ultra but this fucking mod makes me set corpses to 0, turn blood off and all this other shit and it still stutters and crashes.

Both Prophecy of Pendor and Blood and Steel are way more demanding than native. Go through their changelogs and you'll see they've added a number of graphically intensive things.

A couple hundred native troops? Fuggedaboutit. My computer barely cares.

Half that number of Singalian Troops, Heretics, Noldor or whatever? Hah...no. Same with BaS. Every time somebody fires off a hand-cannon my computer skips a second. That's what happens when a couple dozen simultaneously cease to be.

SoupNazi

I needed roughly 80 Right to Rule to start my own empire without getting buttfucked by all the other kingdoms. That's in vanilla Warband though. Still, at that point, every other faction was practically destroyed thanks to infighting (that I caused), and my faction had immense power, with many lords joining me almost immediately. I soon took over half the continent, effectively taking over the Sarranid Sultanate, Khergit Khanate, and the orange and green kingdoms (forgot which are which).

The silver kingdom meanwhile took over most of the Nords, but I was still hands down the most powerful kingdom out there. Yet still, the other kingdoms refused to even recognize me as a ruler, let alone respect or fear me. The Khan, the Sultan, and all the Kings had one-man-parties all across the continent and kept raiding my villages and uselessly trying to conquer my castles and towns.

Even if I tried offering them peace, they spat in my face (despite meeting me in the field of a 1v400 battle) and refused. It was pretty annoying. Eventually, the constant "wars" with one-man army factions tore up my kingdom :roll: as my lords started getting annoyed with it, and started to defect en masse. I made the mistake of having WAY too many of them, of course, so I couldn't even make them happier. Then again, recruiting them was practically the only way to make them stop trying to conquer my shit.

Morkar Left

Comes Blood and Steel with Diplomacy mod included? And is it possible to get Power Draw, Power Strike, Power Throw and Shield skills back?

flabbyjack

Arcane
Oh, I know. I've even recommended it in previous threads. As well as to stay away from the Noldor.
What's wrong with the Noldor? Me and the Noldor are tight. I can even spend gold on Noldor units and have them never show up (broken in latest version of Prophecy of Pendor, so are some elite units)

flabbyjack said:
What's wrong with the Noldor? Me and the Noldor are tight. I can even spend gold on Noldor units and have them never show up (broken in latest version of Prophecy of Pendor, so are some elite units)

I mostly mean at the beginning, when the Noldor would just as soon fill you full of arrows and have their horse stomp on your face a couple times.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I tried Pendor but found it extremely grindy/time consuming. Not to say it isn't good but it would probably take a good fifty hours to build up a force capable of doing anything significant. I'm not criticizing that type of design but the game play just didn't interest me enough to dedicate that much time to it.

Phelot

Arcane
*Sigh*

Call me a graphic whore, but I love me some Polished Landscapes, but I swear I can't get it to work with most mods.

Also, I tried the Floris Expanded mod including the latest bug fix and it crashes all over the place, mostly when entering new areas.

TBH, it seems like most of the Warband mods are extremely faulty. Half aren't updated, the other half just don't seem to work. Pendor works and is fun, but I can't get Polished Landscapes to work right with it.

I kind of regret getting Warband at this point.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Metro said:
I tried Pendor but found it extremely grindy/time consuming. Not to say it isn't good but it would probably take a good fifty hours to build up a force capable of doing anything significant. I'm not criticizing that type of design but the game play just didn't interest me enough to dedicate that much time to it.

Was more like 20 hours for me, it gets easier later on. Tho I just looked up the companion combos rather than figure it out for myself, they're pretty much must-have to patch up any lack of skills your character has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom