Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Onlive died today.

Will you try Onlive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • KC(I am gay)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Let's see if the idiots flock to this piece of shit.

Xi

Arcane
They are offering a free year(Limited to those who initially sign up) with the second year for 4.95 a month. You can demo the games for free and then purchase them if you like them.

Silellak

Cipher
If it's free, I may as well fucking try it, I guess.

It won't work, but at least I can see for myself how awful it is.

Xi

Arcane
It appears like you cannot directly sign-up at the moment. You have to apply to the free one year offer, and they will send invites out. Then you can demo games for free. You should be able to directly sign up in July and I believe it will still come with a 3 month trial period. You have to purchase full games, but you can still demo them to try out the service.

Also, they offer Onlive Portal which allows you to rent/demo games without paying the monthly fee. This will be determined by network load however.

I got into the Beta, but was out of town for the test period(go figure). I'm still interested in trying the service out. Maybe I'll have to give Ass Effect 2 a go. We shall see.

Also, I'll have to make a direct connection(Im using wireless at the moment) to make it optimal. Other than that, should be good ;P

Xi

Arcane
http://blog.onlive.com/
It is with great pleasure that I invite you to the opening of the OnLive Game Service for PCs and Macs, beginning this Thursday, June 17, 2010 at 9:01 PM EDT/6:01 PM PDT.

And the best news is that we’re going to make it as easy as possible for you to give OnLive a try!

I’m very excited to announce the OnLive Founding Members Program, presented by AT&T, which is a limited-time, limited availability offer of a FREE 1st-year OnLive membership, with an optional 2nd year at $4.95/month, month-to-month! It’s an awesome deal delivered on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to availability, so sign up here today.

(No purchase is necessary for the free first year, and while there are lots of demos and other great stuff that are also free, this offer does not include games, features and other services that are for purchase. Eligibility requirements and other terms and conditions are detailed here.)

We’ll have more than 20 games available on the OnLive Game Service at launch, and with dozens more in the pipeline, we’ll constantly be adding new games over time. To mention just a sampling, we’ll have Assassin’s Creed 2, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Conviction from Ubisoft; Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins from Electronic Arts; Batman: Arkham Asylum and Just Cause 2 from Square Enix; Borderlands, NBA 2K10 and MLB 2K10 from Take Two; Red Faction: Guerilla from THQ; Fear 2: Project Origin from Warner Bros. Interactive Games; and DiRT 2 from Codemasters along with other great games from publishers, both large and small, representing a wide range of genres.

While June 17 marks the end of a very long journey for the OnLive team, our partners and, of course, our Beta testers, what it really marks is the beginning of a much longer journey: the emergence of a new era in videogames that stands to utterly transform the way we create, distribute and play games and interact with each other when playing them.

The OnLive experience is unlike anything that has existed before. Click on a hot new game and typically within a few seconds the game is playing. Dive into a game or pick up where you left off, even if you’ve changed locations or are using a different computer. No discs, no giant game downloads, no patches or updates, and no high performance computer needed.

You Just Play.

And, instant-play games are only the beginning. OnLive creates a massive live video social network. Every game in play (when permitted) can be spectated, and you can record and share your best (or worst) moments in Brag Clip™ videos. Make Friends after watching their moves in the Arena or in a Brag Clip video, and then check out what all your friends are up to by watching them play live.

These features and more are possible because OnLive fundamentally changes what videogames are:

Without OnLive, videogames are apps requiring specialized hardware and discs, downloads and/or updates.

With OnLive, videogames are digital media, just like digital video and audio. And, like digital video and audio, OnLive games will be playable across a wide range of devices which will provide enormous flexibility in how we distribute and share game experiences among users. The PC, Mac and, soon, TV are just the first devices that will play OnLive games while massive spectating, Brag Clip videos and live video Friend Profiles are just a few early examples of what is possible with the OnLive user experience.

Despite the enormous potential of OnLive technology, it is important to emphasize that the OnLive Game Service is a very different way to experience videogames. We are using the Internet and computers in ways that have never been tried before and, like any brand new technology, you can expect a few bumps on take off until we reach cruising altitude and achieve a smooth flight. OnLive has been tested in an enormous variety of locations using a vast number of combinations of computers, ISPs, displays and input devices. Even so, there are endless possible combinations. So while most OnLive testers report good results with their gameplay experience, we still run into situations where the user may have to take some action (e.g. reset a cable modem or use a different mouse), or unique situations that we have not yet accounted for and require further changes to OnLive technology. And, of course, there are still some rough edges and plain old bugs that need to be fixed. So, if you run into problems, please let us know, and we will do what we can to address them.

Lastly, while most people who have tested the OnLive Game Service report a great experience right from the get-go, sometimes you need to tweak your configuration (our Technical FAQ has lots of tips), and even then, the OnLive experience is not for everyone. The best way to find out is to give it a try. It’s free to sign up, and there are lots of free demos in a variety of game genres. And, whatever you think of OnLive, please send us your feedback to support@onlive.com. We will continue to evolve our technology and user experience in many dimensions, and this early feedback is crucial in helping us shape the future direction of OnLive.

So, at long last, OnLive is opening its doors to the public! Now it’s time to…

Just Play.

—Steve Perlman, OnLive Founder & CEO

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/universitymisc

Truly we live in an advanced age when I can pay extra money for the privilege of not owning the games I play, having input lag, playing with inferior graphics and sound, and having my balls firmly in the hands of moralless corporations.

Xi

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Truly we live in an advanced age when I can pay extra money for the privilege of not owning the games I play, having input lag, playing with inferior graphics and sound, and having my balls firmly in the hands of moralless corporations.

Pay less for the games. Check.

Pay a low $10 a month (cancel and renew at any time). Check.

Never upgrade your current PC every again.(Or never buy expensive hardware ever again). Check.

Demo games before you buy them. Check.

Or:

Keep purchasing expensive hardware and playing games like you always have. No big deal.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But seriously, Xi, nobody is going to use this service and the fact that you bought the hype does not speak well to your character.

Xi

Arcane
Xor said:
But seriously, Xi, nobody is going to use this service and the fact that you bought the hype does not speak well to your character.

I have a Network Tech Degree. I predicted this years ago. That's why it interests me. (I also have a degree in Psychology)

Clockwork Knight said:
Xi said:
You can demo the games for free and then purchase them if you like them.

Am I missing something, or were we always able to do that?

Most games do not have demos. This new platform offers demos as a prime feature. Try before you buy.

Clockwork Knight said:
Xi said:
Never upgrade your current PC every again.(Or never buy expensive hardware ever again). Check.

No way this isn't bullshit. I don't even know the specifics, but I'm sure it is.

Its not bullshit, you pay to upgrade *their* hardware. When you quit, they keep the hardware to better serve other customers and you are left with nothing but your dick in hand.

I have a Network Tech Degree. I predicted this years ago. That's why it interests me. (I also have a degree in Psychology)

You obviously didn't obtain them in any place that tests for knowledge very well. What exactly is a 'network tech' degree btw? Knowing the technical details of how networks work is like a 3 credit course, not a degree.

Cassidy

Arcane
Use my PC just as a bridge to a rented computer that could be shut down and modified in any way, at any time?

Excuse me but this feels like shoving my head into my ass and paying for it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's the point of telling me you have a psychology degree? Am I supposed to be impressed? The basic concept of this system is inherently flawed. It's inferior to a rental service which is something we already have in the game industry anyway. There are numerous reasons why this service will probably fail within the next year, and I'm being generous.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Clockwork Knight said:
Xi said:
Not all developers would bother creating a demo for their game.

Oh, unless you mean the piracy kind of demo. Hyuk. That's exactly why developers will move to this instead.

Clockwork Knight said:
Xi said:
No way this isn't bullshit. I don't even know the specifics, but I'm sure it is.
All you need is a computer that's capable of displaying video as that's basically all that's being sent to you over the server.

Xor said:
Just like how nobody uses Steam I suppose (bcuz wut hapens wen da server goz down lawlz) and how nobody puts invasive DRM in their products that limit activations and shit. And much like how nobody ever pays those monthly fees to play MMO's when they could buy and play single player games without ongoing costs.

Why are you acting like you have a choice in this? Half-Life 3 will be delivered OnLive and if you want it, there's only one way you're going to be able to play it.

Xi

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
You obviously didn't obtain them in any place that tests for knowledge very well. What exactly is a 'network tech' degree btw? Knowing the technical details of how networks work is like a 3 credit course, not a degree.

I agree. Mostly I was certified CCNA/CCNP, all the microsoft bullshit, a bunch of others and given an applied science degree. I worked for Dell, did some consulting for a few local businesses, and even worked for Bestbuy as a Geeksquad dood for a while(Great pay, was close to $30 an hour). I burnt out on tech though. I hated the constant grind to know what was new. So I set it aside and pursued a second degree.(In a nutshell, it involves building networks on the large scale.)

Anyway, the importance of me explaining this is that I predicted this trend about 9 years ago. It just seemed like the most likely scenario as network technology progressed(and it has greatly). Of course connection speed is still an issue, but technologies like this help to boost demand and it won't be long before we see faster connection speeds. Latency is a side issue, but even this will get better. It's already pretty low in comparison to say 10 years ago. Back then, 300-800 ping was common in online games. Now a days, sub 100 levels are common.

I guess I see this as a push into the future of tech. I'm intrigued. I don't know how well this tech will do initially, but I promise you that it will never go away. You will see this type of tech pop up everywhere in the next few years. Anyway...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Xi said:
I don't know how well this tech will do initially, but I promise you that it will never go away. You will see this type of tech pop up everywhere in the next few years.
I think that much like the very first PDA's and notepads, OnLive will fail without a significant amount of funds behind it and a massive push to up network capacity. I think they're pushing it too early at this time though because even as fast as computers are today, they still need a fair bit of grunt to push these games out and that can be expensive.

It won't be until another 10 - 20 years when the technology gets better that we get the cost-effective version. Much like an iPhone today is the PDA of the 80's and the iPad is a working version of technology that's been around for donkey's years now.

Xi

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Xi said:
I don't know how well this tech will do initially, but I promise you that it will never go away. You will see this type of tech pop up everywhere in the next few years.
I think that much like the very first PDA's and notepads, OnLive will fail without a significant amount of funds behind it and a massive push to up network capacity. I think they're pushing it too early at this time though because even as fast as computers are today, they still need a fair bit of grunt to push these games out and that can be expensive.

It won't be until another 10 - 20 years when the technology gets better that we get the cost-effective version. Much like an iPhone today is the PDA of the 80's and the iPad is a working version of technology that's been around for donkey's years now.

Hard to say because Onlive has a lot of funding and they are practically giving away the service for free to let it catch on. All they need is 500,000 Subscribers and it will be a success. I'm sure they can hold out for 5 years or more.

I agree with the idea that network tech is slightly behind though. Still, 20 years is a quantum leap in technology. There's so much advanced shit out there, it boggles the mind. Much of which never sees the light of day. However, the fact that this tech is here right now, and people are beginning to use it as of today, well it's a milestone and the rest of the industry will scale to meet new demands(be it from this tech or something else).

Plus, there is more than one of these services in the works. Gaikai is probably the other big one. EA signed a deal with them too. I think Gaikai works a little bit differently though, in terms of the service features, but it's the same idea. Not to mention, these services will scale to offer big industry apps to small businesses. This opens the door for big business computing to the little guys.

I will agree on one thing that I have seen mentioned numerous times. Games that require extremely low latency will probably struggle on this service for a while. FPS games and action games mostly. Still, there are plenty of games that the latency will be mostly unnoticeable and most people won't care too much. It's a trade off in terms of performance because load times, graphics, and general system requirements will be close to nill. Latency is just a temporary trade-off.

Xi

Arcane
Silellak said:
Oh, they aren't supporting WiFi yet. Guess I won't be posting my impressions any time soon.

You can use Wifi, it's just that it will add latency. Doesn't mean the games won't be playable, but it's not recommended.

DarkUnderlord said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Xi said:
Not all developers would bother creating a demo for their game.

Oh, unless you mean the piracy kind of demo. Hyuk. That's exactly why developers will move to this instead.

:lol:

No, I meant actual demos. I never had trouble finding demos for the games I wanted.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK, I registered giving Chicago zip-code. I'm not really interested in their demos, I just want to check it out how it works out of curiosity.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's sort of amusing how OnLive and digital distribution and whatnot are gathering so much positive attention in the press and the masses these days.

Why, I recall that but a few years ago the press and the masses were screaming of how the internet nodes are becoming so overloaded that they'll soon crash and we'll have no internet at all! What happened to that noise anyway?

Fritz Haber

Educated
Is optic cable for every household a reality in the US? The only News I could find was some bulletin by AT&T from 2002.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I’m very excited to announce the OnLive Founding Members Program, presented by AT&T, which is a limited-time, limited availability offer of a FREE 1st-year OnLive membership, with an optional 2nd year at $4.95/month, month-to-month! It’s an awesome deal delivered on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to availability, so sign up here today.
No seriously? $60 for 2 years for using a server that costs at least 40 times more (and is capable of running only 2-3 games in parallel, that means 2-3 people per server) excluding tech support sallaries, upgrade costs, hugeass bandwidth/electricity expenses and other bills? It's such a hoax.
And what happened to OnHoax(tm) modems? Suddenly you can just plug'n'play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom