Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Onlive died today.

Will you try Onlive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • KC(I am gay)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 7219

OnLive was all about taking power away from PC gamers. It was basically console gaming except you didn't have your own copy of the game - it was just some shitty subscription-based rental service. At least with XBL and PSN it is yours to keep. Also, you didn't have the files installed on your PC, forbidding customisation and modding. Finally, unless you lived in a country with first-rate ultra-fast broadband, the quality of the game iitself was vastly inferior to the real thing - I'm talking low resolutions, low FPS, bells and whistles turned off, and disconnects. No wonder it has failed, you'd have to be crazy to want it. If you don't like PC gaming, if you make up shitty excuses like "I don't have enough money for a gaming PC", get a fucking console.

MapMan

Arcane
I love it when a plan comes together. So, did Xi leave out of shame? Maybe he should get a consolation ban?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Never upgrade your current PC every again.(Or never buy expensive hardware ever again). Check.

:lol: The retardation was strong in this one.

Good riddance if true, though. :salute:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"...and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for you entitled gamers and your expensive hardware!"

9 July 2011 : http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?65343-OnLive-Tomorrow-s-Gaming-Today-(Discussion-Links-and-News)&p=1307426#post1307426

Sprung said:
In this thread, I will introduce you to OnLive, as well as provide discussion, news, links, updates and any other info related to the OnLive gaming service as grows both in the U.S. and internationally. It also provides me with a single thread to post all the items I find, so they don't end up lost in the Hangout
yelpleased.gif

Sprung said:
Introducing a simple, powerful new way to game. OnLive delivers high-end video games from the cloud to your PC, Mac®, TV and even mobile devices at blindingly fast speeds, so you can play the games you want, the second you want them. No discs. No downloads. No fancy hardware. Just you, the Internet and the games you love.

18 August 2012 : http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?65343-OnLive-Tomorrow-s-Gaming-Today-(Discussion-Links-and-News)&p=1560630#post1560630

Sprung said:
What the fuck

aN2V6.png

Gare said:
Read the updates: [...]
Sprung said:
Was just getting ready to post that. It doesn't matter to me who owns it, as long as the service continues.
Gare said:
I see you almost had a heart attack there, though.
yelwacko.gif
Sprung said:
I did. I have quite a few games on there, Mafia II being the most important.

waywardOne

Arcane
I have no idea if this is even relevant, but I know OnLive has been mentioned in connection with the current trend of online SP, online DRM, and... "cloud gaming."

Is this incline?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ng-down-but-multiple-sources-confirm-layoffs/

InXile CEO Brain Fargo also Tweeted that an employee from within OnLive had emailed him that the company was close to going out of business...

Meanwhile GameFront says it has trusted sources that are confirming the layoffs at the company. “Currently, laid off employees are packing down and preparing to leave the premises,” they report.

Destroid

Arcane
CEO Steve Perlman said that OnLive would be filing for ABC bankruptcy in the state of California—a status that affords them a level of protection from creditors. Perlman also said that the company as it stands now would cease to exist and that no one would be employed by OnLive. A subset of employees would be brought on to the company created from the remains of OnLive.

Creditors = suckers.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
sounds like a captain of a sinking ship trying to stop it from sinking by stomping around and screaming at the holes and refusing all the pumps and planks offered to him

also:
But as with Quicktime and WebTV, it seems that Steve Perlman had an idea ahead of its time yet again, and under his management, much of its potential may have been squandered.
huh? quicktime was a horrible piece of crap and i'm glad nobody's using that anymore

racofer

Thread Incliner
But as with Quicktime and WebTV, it seems that Steve Perlman had an idea ahead of its time yet again, and under his management, much of its potential may have been squandered.
huh? quicktime was a horrible piece of crap and i'm glad nobody's using that anymore

If there's one good thing that came out of adobe's flash shit is that it killed that horrible thing called Quicktime. Now I only hope html5 will do the same to flash.

I'm quite sure The Brazilian Slaughter agrees with this statement.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm afraid the second half of the statement is not entirely true, much to my chagrin. That's why I have to keep Qucktime installed on my computer. I fully endorse the first half of the statement, though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Last time I saw it was when some game prompted me to install it at the end of the setup, Silver I think.

kris

Arcane
I voted no and with the intention to not really find out more about this. Thank you very much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom