Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Onlive died today.

Will you try Onlive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • KC(I am gay)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

The thing is, Electronic Arts was actually on board. Former staffers told us Mass Effect 2and Dragon Age: Origins were ready and would have launched on day one if it wasn't for Steve Perlman. At GDC 2009, when OnLive revealed itself to the world in style, a rival named Gaikai did the same behind closed doors, and when Gaikai CEO David Perry came by the OnLive booth to greet his competitor, Perlman starting screaming at him. On June 17th, 2010, the day OnLive launched, Gaikai announced a multi-year deal with Electronic Arts. Perlman received the news in the OnLive booth at E3 2010. "He went ballistic," one witness recalls. "We had to slam the conference room shut and crank up the music so people wouldn't hear him." Perlman told EA he wanted exclusivity, even though Gaikai only offered game demos via the web rather than fully playable purchases. When EA refused, Perlman ordered his staff to remove all EA titles from OnLive. "We were instructed in no uncertain terms to pull the EA games at the very last minute," one ex-staffer related. Mike McGarvey, COO at the time, argued against the move, but Perlman wouldn't hear it. Shortly after the launch, McGarvey was sidelined.

I thought EA itselft removed the games, because of Origin.

Make no mistake, OnLive was the future. Companies who embrace cloud computing will want to give their customers a way to manipulate those computers as if they were in front of them. Streaming games make sense: There’s no ability to pirate titles, and manufacturers don’t have to build up an install base by selling expensive hardware to their customers at a loss. But as with Quicktime and WebTV, it seems that Steve Perlman had an idea ahead of its time yet again, and under his management, much of its potential may have been squandered. With the cloud streaming poster child in the throes of insolvency and its spokesman departing for greener pastures, it may be difficult to reconvince investors of that potential in the short term. We're curious to see how OnLive will proceed without its all-powerful founder at the helm.

Uh? You spent the entire article telling me Steve was a certified retard who was more of an obstacle than anthing.

Turjan

Arcane
I forgot the last time I've seen anything quick-time. I think it was 5 years ago or so.
You probably don't have any dealings with cash-strapped science departments where someone learned how to use Quicktime 10 or 15 years ago and cannot let go.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
I forgot the last time I've seen anything quick-time. I think it was 5 years ago or so.
You probably don't have any dealings with cash-strapped science departments where someone learned how to use Quicktime 10 or 15 years ago and cannot let go.
i feel your pain, bro

If there's one good thing that came out of adobe's flash shit is that it killed that horrible thing called Quicktime. Now I only hope html5 will do the same to flash.
not sure html5 will replace flash as quickly as flash replaced quicktime and realplayer... one can still hope, though

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
QFGV uses quicktime... worse, it 'requires' a separate install. Fortunately the fan-installer sorts that shit out.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
News are a bit old (from the 10th), but I hadn't seen it yet. OnLive, Xi's favourite pet project, was sold for 4.8 million dollars. Its estimated value was 1.8 billion.

Not only have former employees lost all stock options in the company, it’s unlikely many – if any – of the firm’s early backers will see any return on their investment.
Investors such as UK broadband provider BT, Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC, and US firms Time Warner and AT&T have been told they will see a return only if there is money left over after debts have been covered.
With $18.8 million in debt, this appears to be an unlikely scenario.

Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...llion-a-tiny-fraction-of-its-estimated-value/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I guess I see this as a push into the future of tech. I'm intrigued. I don't know how well this tech will do initially, but I promise you that it will never go away. You will see this type of tech pop up everywhere in the next few years. Anyway...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I have to give Xi credit. It lasted longer than a year.

DraQ

Arcane
Gamasutra ‏@gamasutra 8m8 minutes ago
Sony buys OnLive's patents; the service, and company, will shut down
OnLive to change name to OffDead
http://bit.ly/1DBL402
Fixed.

Silly boys, go home and play on your pitifull PCs while I'll enjoy the unlimited power of The Cloud.
Cloud_Strife.png

Make Xi's new avatar and title.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I use "the cloud" as a separate offsite backup solution. Using "the cloud" to do actual work is just limited, slow, unreliable bullshit. This proves my absolutely unoriginal point even more.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I used to try OnLive when I had a shitty rig and a rather fast connection, since I wanted to see what the fuss is about these new AAA games.
Games were shit, video/audio quality sucked, input latency was all over the place, but the main idea was rather interesting for its time, since theoretically I could buy a random laptop and play whatever I wanted.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Since a man certainly cannot live without a decent PC rig, Steam home streaming does the job perfectly as far as I'm concerned. You can also probably use it outside the house with a VPN, which should be enough for turn based gaming.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Since a man certainly cannot live without a decent PC rig, Steam home streaming does the job perfectly as far as I'm concerned. You can also probably use it outside the house with a VPN, which should be enough for turn based gaming.
I bought a tablet and I'm currently looking for an optimal way to run Win98 to play Mordor and Chaos Overlords.
So I don't need a powerful rig right now, since most of my work is related to audio and text.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom