Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open world/sandbox/nonlinear games

Severian Silk

Can you guys think of examples that fit in one section but not the others?

[edit]

Update:

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
AC/GTA clones? They're open world but progression is still linear and you don't have much freedom for it to qualify as "sandbox"

Severian Silk

AC/GTA clones? They're open world but progression is still linear and you don't have much freedom for it to qualify as "sandbox"
Good example. Is "AC" supposed to be Assassin's Creed?

Severian Silk

What about Minecraft? You can go anywhere (open world), build shit and shape the environment (sandbox), but has no story or plot that can be considered "non-linear".

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Thief: Deadly Shadows attempted to be open world. It is still linear, however.

Severian Silk

Mount and Blade in the middle.
Mount & Blade has no story last time I played. Good suggestion though.

[edit]

What about Expeditions: Conquistador or Sid Meier's Pirates? On the other hand, in EC you only build a single fortress. :(

[edit]

Whatever. I will use them as examples.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maschtervoz

Learned
So, explain something to me: how can a sandbox game not have nonlinear gameplay? I can understand how a game like Fallout has nonlinear gameplay, but is not considered a sandbox because it still has a clearly defined endgoal. I can't wrap my head around the opposite. Or is non-linear gameplay supposed to imply having some sort of plot/objective that progresses in a freeform fashion? Then maybe nonlinear gameplay is not the best term to use, as it seems to refer to a certain kind of systems design: you are given a set of tools and are free to fuck around with them in whatever way you see fit, regardless of whether there is an endgoal or not. So non linear progression or something like that would be a better choice. Or am I just being
possibly_retarded.png
here?

Severian Silk

So, explain something to me: how can a sandbox game not have nonlinear gameplay? I can understand how a game like Fallout has nonlinear gameplay, but is not considered a sandbox because it still has a clearly defined endgoal. I can't wrap my head around the opposite. Or is non-linear gameplay supposed to imply having some sort of plot/objective that progresses in a freeform fashion? Then maybe nonlinear gameplay is not the best term to use, as it seems to refer to a certain kind of systems design: you are given a set of tools and are free to fuck around with them in whatever way you see fit, regardless of whether there is an endgoal or not. So non linear progression or something like that would be a better choice. Or am I just being
possibly_retarded.png
here?

Good question. By "nonlineat gameplay" I mean story or level progression. I.e. branching story or missions. Forget the "gameplay" part. It's misleading.

A horse of course

I'm not clear on how you're defining sandbugz. The ability to build things?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
CYOAs or RPGs with different routes (but not open-world or sandbox) fit into "non-linear progression".

Examples: Age of Decadence, SMT: Devil Survivor, visual novels

Severian Silk

CYOAs or RPGs with different routes (but not open-world or sandbox) fit into "non-linear progression".

Examples: Age of Decadence, SMT: Devil Survivor, visual novels
Thanks for the suggestions!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I assume a (space?) 4X where you would need certain technologies to reach certain parts of the world would be non linear sandbox. I don't know if such a game exists since I have mostly plays some Civilizations (navigation doesn't count, or does it?) and Galactic civilizations.

zeitgeist

Magister
What about Terraria? It's obviously both open world and sandbox, but I'm not sure about your definition of non-linear progression. You can progress through various equipment in different ways, sometimes skipping tiers, but sometimes they're needed for the next upgrade, you can kill some bosses out of order, but some are absolutely needed for the next world state, and so on. Would that be non-linear enough despite still having at least some kind of an intended order of progression or not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom