Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic OpenGothic -- feature complete reimplementation of Gothic 2 + NOTR

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This has come a long way since I last saw it.

It would be really cool if it became possible to play G2 without the performance issues inherent in the engine, even systempack doesn't resolve things entirely.

mkultra

Augur
Cool i guess, as for performance, for e.g OpenMW, it has the same issue as the original game with having to stop and load every now and then (a small stutter mostly but..)

As someone who's made one of the bigger graphical overhauls for Gothic 2, my main issue was how low-poly the models had to be, the engine had a rather low limit, so if it fixes that i would be nice.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool i guess, as for performance, for e.g OpenMW, it has the same issue as the original game with having to stop and load every now and then (a small stutter mostly but..)

As someone who's made one of the bigger graphical overhauls for Gothic 2, my main issue was how low-poly the models had to be, the engine had a rather low limit, so if it fixes that i would be nice.

OpenMW is a big improvement technically over the original though. Super stable (even with tons of mods) and it's possible to maintain a constant 144 fps (which is very difficult in the original MW engine).

Hopefully this ends up being similar on the performance front.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

It would be really cool if it became possible to play G2 without the performance issues inherent in the engine, even systempack doesn't resolve things entirely.
DX11 patch pretty much solves performance problems. Unless you're playing on a potato, I'd recommend it + SP over OpenGothic.

https://github.com/SaiyansKing/GD3D11 - latest update was 12 days ago.

Codex Year of the Donut
Indeed, the existing mods are probably a better solution currently, but I suspect this will end up being the way to play it in the long run.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

DX11 patch pretty much solves performance problems. Unless you're playing on a potato, I'd recommend it + SP over OpenGothic.

https://github.com/SaiyansKing/GD3D11 - latest update was 12 days ago.

Hmm I might have to check that out. Last time I played on my 10700k and 3080 with just systempack I was still having quite large fps drops when moving through the world.

Don't think I've used the GD3D11 patch previously.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
can confirm dx11 fixes performance problems in addition to making the game look quite good actually. Can't remember which version I used, I think saiyansking one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom