Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

deuxhero

Arcane
https://openmw.org/en/

Just found out about this. Seems to be coming around rather nicely.

Hopefully when it's done (sometime after 2020 I guess) someone can mod in good combat. Wouldn't mind Gothic style climbing either.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, it crashes like a soviet airplane in Afghanistan circa the war.

Same deal with all of the other game reimplementations, they are all worthwhile.
People are really fucking shortsighted to consider 'games' as complete products instead of their build-able source. History repeats itself with all of these kickstarters without source.
Even if you don't care about the 'open source movement' and think that's 'communism' or some other fallacy, you should care about bugs being found and fixed.

DraQ

Arcane
Better function, better moddability, better implementation of mechanics, possibility to implement stuff not possible in the original, better stability, better longevity by allowing to adapt the code to evolving platform.

Ban octavius.

deuxhero

Arcane
While it's easy to forget "better optimization" (As Morrowind will run on a toaster now), it would also add that.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmm...is it really worth the effort to remake Morrowind?

If only Gothic 2: NotR received as much attention as the far inferior dress-up-dolly Morrowind does...

If only Gothic 2 had a extensible composable mod system...
Bethesda is maybe a lousy game company, but they sure had a farsighted engineer in charge of the modding system.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm...is it really worth the effort to remake Morrowind?

If only Gothic 2: NotR received as much attention as the far inferior dress-up-dolly Morrowind does...

If only Gothic 2 had a extensible composable mod system...
Bethesda is maybe a lousy game company, but they sure had a farsighted engineer in charge of the modding system.
That's the truth. No matter the consistent :decline: of Bethesda's games you have to give them half a brofist (well maybe a quarter brofist) for keeping the modability of their games. I'm surprised they've kept that part in considering the DLC craze. It's the one redeeming part of their games.*

*and really, that's not saying much :P

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Better function, better moddability, better implementation of mechanics, possibility to implement stuff not possible in the original, better stability, better longevity by allowing to adapt the code to evolving platform.

Ban octavius.

That's a rather draqonian punishment for asking an innocent question, isn't it?

IMO it's not worth it for the stability alone, as MW isn't that buggy and unstable.
The problems with MW is the design, namely the broken skill system, the broken enchanting system, the broken alchemy system and the static NPCs. If they fix that it will be worth it.

DraQ

Arcane
That's a rather draqonian punishment for asking an innocent question, isn't it?
:smug:

broken skill system
Fixable with low-level access.

the broken enchanting system
Easily fixed with low level access.

the broken alchemy system
Easily fixed even without low-level access.

static NPCs.
Not much of a problem, but expanding their abilities to allow them non-scripted movement between cells would be good. The rest is content.

Well, I'm all for it. Considering setting originality is scarce these days, and will be more so in the future. I'd love "improved" Morrowind, if they really fix all those things you guys said.

deuxhero

Arcane
Who moved the topic?

Morrowind was "PC first and foremost in mind", with the Xbox port (which was very clearly the port and not the other way around with the very mouse centric interface) coming after the original and Open MW is most definitely PC only.

escom

Learned
It sounds fun but... Will they ever finish it? Will anybody make/remake mods for it? I don't think so.

Severian Silk

It will probably never see the light of day like 90% of all OSS gaming projects. If Bethesda had actually released their source... then things might be a little better.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This project is extremely ambitious and impressive. I'll be happy when it finally gets released. Unfortunately, at the current state it's still kind of unplayable - no AI and I don't think combat has been implemented yet either - and it probably won't be for another few years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom