Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

Vorark

Erudite
One of the devs was butthurt about how Microsoft has acquired Github and decided to use that as a reason to quit development of OpenMW and/or start a linux-only fork of OpenMW, which he apparently had hoped would happen anyway for OpenMW.

Wow, a combo of typical modder and freetard. It's not for the weak of heart.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
But if you could do that and then populate Morrowind with challenging opponents, it would probably be one of the best crpgs of all time.

Morrowind with a working "Radiant AI" (or similar) would have been one of the best crpgs of all time.

Feyd Rautha has obviously not played Morrowind.
They seem to be implementing some features and ideas from popular mods and the unofficial patch so maybe we will get lucky and get something like that... in any case every time I watch one of these videos I get an itch to replay Morrowind, but will probably wait until the 1.0 release

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Is there any point to doing OpenMW anymore? I mean a laptop made within the last 5 years can run the game flawlessly at its highest settings and mods and fixes have pretty much covered all the “improvements”
I think the big draw for this was a smoother better running Morrowind but somehow it seems that it is rather pointless now
better performance
better stability
far, far, FAR more complex mods
native linux support
no need for mods to get running with HD displays and modern systems
ease of use due to not having to mod for basic gameplay
can be ported on essentially infinite platforms, some have ported it over to android phones and a raspberry pi
engine can be used as a future framework for people who want to port other gamebryo/bethesda games
engine can also just be used as a engine for their own game

Gerrard

Arcane
Is there any point to doing OpenMW anymore? I mean a laptop made within the last 5 years can run the game flawlessly at its highest settings and mods and fixes have pretty much covered all the “improvements”
I think the big draw for this was a smoother better running Morrowind but somehow it seems that it is rather pointless now
better performance
native linux support
can be ported on essentially infinite platforms, some have ported it over to android phones and a raspberry pi
engine can be used as a future framework for people who want to port other gamebryo/bethesda games
Irrelevant.

better stability
Citation needed. Call me when those far more complex mods actually exist.

Yeah, no need for mods, just a complete rewrite of the game. LMAO

If you have "trouble of use" with Morrowind you are probably retarded.

And as mentioned, less actual graphic features than MGXE offered for years.

roll-a-die

Magister
better performance
native linux support
Irrelevant.
By no means is it irrelevant. Access for these other operating systems, with native compiled binaries is a gigantic step in the right direction. Windows is ass, and at somepoint it will break support for Morrowind probably via some obscure feature being deprecated. And having a source recreation like OpenMW, will allow many people to continue playing the game. Preservation matters.

better stability
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44967/?
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45125/?

Okay done.

Just a complete rewrite of the game that is easier to install than MGEXE+MCP+FPSOPTIMIZER+4GBPATCH+LOADINGSCREENMODS+MAINMENUSCALINGMOD
There are some convenience features that OpenMW has that I rather like. As well as some future proofing in the toolset that makes it even more appealing..
Shadows are on their way in the next two or three versions, Distant Land is janky as all get out, but they are working on improving it, shaders have been supported for a long time. Anything I'm missing?

The first 100 hours or so you spend playing Morrowind are all about figuring out which mods to use.

Good heaven no!, this isn't oblivians or skyrmjob, the game is perfectly fine out of the box, just play the damn thing and if you find something about it that bothers you, THEN you search for a mod.

The only mod I'd recommend getting for a first play trough is the one that delays Tribunal's DB assassins until you finish the main quest and the unofficial patches. Maybe Morrowind Graphic Extender and some HD texutres too if you really must please your inner graphix whore

If you don't like MW without mods, chances are you won't like it with them either, and you are just wasting your time.
Sorry, but I don't agree. I've got a few mods that I find essential to avoid getting frustrated (like mana regeneration, especially if I wish to go for a mage playthrough).

Or teleport if I reach a high proficiency in magic

or how about a +5 Level up modifiers to avoid powergaming and forgetting about levelling

or a mod to make hp retroactive, so I don't have to powerplay and always get Hp first

Little things that adds up.

Gerrard

Arcane
Two or three versions, so in 2025? Nice.
And those mods don't offer anything that hasn't been done before or isn't worthless, the natural attributes growth with no levels was a part of Galshiah's Character Development years ago. Fucking play time?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
better performance
native linux support
Irrelevant.

better stability

Why is everything that comes out of your mouth fucking retarded?

It's like talking to the Pointy-Haired Boss.

"Why do you want to make this change? You said we would have X"

"This change will allow us to do X"

"I'm not seeing any X"

"Yes, because we need to make the change first"

"But why? Make X happen first"

"The change is a necessary step for X to happen"

"I don't follow"

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So shadows should be in 0.45

screenshot181.png

screenshot206.png

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Although I'd like a bit more soft shadowing. Reminds me of Doom 3 shadows in The Dark Mod, but The Dark Mod has some good soft shadowing now with 2.06.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44967/?
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45125/?

Okay done.

Is this some kind of sick joke? A mod to track playing time, and a mod that has barely any use?
Just a complete rewrite of the game that is easier to install than MGEXE+MCP+FPSOPTIMIZER+4GBPATCH+LOADINGSCREENMODS+MAINMENUSCALINGMOD

Is this the same forum where people shat on Beamdog for offering people a Baldur's Gate that didn't need mods of any kind, which required far more work and thought to install than just a handful of really basic mods?

1. Morrowind Code Patch.
2. MGE XE.
3. Patch for Purists.
4. Better Dialogue Font.
5. Modern User Interface.

Not to mention vanilla Morrowind is simply much, much better at the moment. OpenMW will be great in the future. So far the average Morrowind has no logical reasons to choose to play OpenMW over classic Morrowind. OpenMW's shaders aren't anywhere near as close to MGE XE's when it comes to quantity, and Distant Land is a pretty big deal for many players.

Gord

Arcane
After some typical modding/internetz-drama somewhere else, an interesting discussion is ongoing regarding OpenMW vs Vanilla + MWSE on the OpenMW forums and the current MWSE-guy is giving his view on the state of things:

NullCascade said:
We're not enemies, and in the long run OpenMW will become the defacto engine. I just think the project is many years out from this still, so there's plenty of time to get in modding without waiting.

But also:

NullCascade said:
I originally was going to contribute to OpenMW, but its dev environment was terrible on Windows and after a decade of waiting it still hadn't produced any significant new modding opportunities. Since taking over MWSE we have new save systems, enhanced pursuit, custom UIs, quick loot, mod config menus, weapon/shield sheathing, new mechanics for attributes, new combat mechanics, Window Glow replacements that are more compatible and performant than any mwscript mod can create, new skill categories, and more things that were never possible. I've gotten way more bang from my buck, so to speak, working on MWSE. I want to create and play with cool new mods. OpenMW doesn't let me do that yet, and wouldn't for some time even if I contributed to it. There's still quite a few years left before I think it'll be time to transition to OpenMW. Besides, the original engine limitations aren't as big as people think. We've dehardcoded so much already in the past 6 months.

I can relate to both sides here, those that think OpenMW without full support for existing mods being somewhat dead in the water and the other side saying that a "proper" new engine requires a clear cut at some point, losing compatibility with "band-aid" solutions like MWSE.

Santander02

Arcane
Sorry, but I don't agree. I've got a few mods that I find essential to avoid getting frustrated (like mana regeneration, especially if I wish to go for a mage playthrough).

Or teleport if I reach a high proficiency in magic

or how about a +5 Level up modifiers to avoid powergaming and forgetting about levelling

or a mod to make hp retroactive, so I don't have to powerplay and always get Hp first

Little things that adds up.

You'd really only know about those problems if you've played the game before for a while, which links back to my previous (months old) comment:

just play the damn thing and if you find something about it that bothers you, THEN you search for a mod

Ie there is no need to to spend days browsing and installing mods to even make this game playable like with Skyrim. Just fire it up and add stuff as you go along.

Also I really don't see the point "powergaming" in a game like this, eventually you'll become so powerful where you'll be able to one hit kill anything and face no challenge whatsoever, modding the game to make the levelling system more "efficient" will just ensure you reach said point faster, but whatever fits one fancy.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll say this much, original Morrowind ran like dogshit on modern systems. With Open MW I can go 140 FPS and the loading times are instant. That already is a huge improvement that I don't think I could live without now.

I can switch tabs easily enough and no crashes as of yet. Morrowind used to crash like crazy on exit, which was grating.

JBro

Arbiter
Why would I want a crossplatform engine that runs better and supports more complex features in the future when I can install a bunch of janky bullshit and bandaid fixes right now?

https://github.com/TES3MP/openmw-tes3mp

Have fun being a bunch of candyass luddites for now. Everyone knows you'll just make the switch eventually.

index.php

Arcane
Followers of shadows, the day has come! 2019-02-20 - lysol
Two weeks ago, we wrote about OpenMW’s offical multiplayer fork, TES3MP. Missed that? Read it here.

This week, however, we want to talk more about the main project: the OpenMW engine. A lot of things have happened since the last news post on that topic.

So, what’s the news?
Let’s begin with a recently merged feature which might seem like a small change at first, but rather is part of bigger project. OpenMW is now able to read the BSA files of Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas – thanks to the hard work of both cc9cii, who first wrote the code for OpenMW 0.36, and Azdul, who ported the code to the current OpenMW master. This brings us one step closer to actually running assets from later TES and Fallout games in OpenMW. However, a lot of work lies ahead of us – next on our list is support for newer versions of NIF, ESM, and ESP files. We’ll keep you posted.

Speaking of features regarding later Bethesda games: Skyrim uses a nif-ty feature in the NIF files called NiSwitchNode to make plants harvestable. The mod Glow In The Dahrk by MelchiorDahrk uses the same property – with the help of some Lua code from MWSE-Lua – to create glowing windows during night time. We are very pleased that our sedulous developer akortunov submitted this pull request, which makes it possible to use the assets from Glow in the Dahrk in our engine too.

A new contributor, bzzt, has recently started working on large-scale optimisations of our engine, focusing on terrain rendering in order to prepare adding in his vision of a future distant-objects feature. Among many other things, his changes – should they be merged – will improve both the look and the performance of distant terrain in OpenMW. The latter was a major cause of concern for players, and we hope his additions will be well received by the Morrowind community.

Capostrophic has been working a lot to make OpenMW compatible with the popular (and huge) mod Sotha Sil Expanded. There are still a few nuts to crack before the mod is fully compatible with OpenMW, but Capostrophic is on it and we’ll let you know when everything works as intended. Sometimes you have to go to other content than vanilla Morrowind to find bugs in the engine, so big mods like these offer great opportunities to find unknown bugs and spot differences between OpenMW and vanilla Morrowind.

This post was supposed to be about OpenMW, but we have to mention one small thing about TES3MP: The macOS client is now released! Download it here.

Shadows are back!
And now the time has come for us to announce a quite big feature that got merged into master today. A feature many have told us is the one thing stopping them from switching to OpenMW for good. This feature was actually present in OpenMW when it, up until version 0.36.0, still used the rendering engine Ogre3D. After the switch to OpenSceneGraph, the feature had to be reimplemented again.

AnyOldName3 has been working on the implementation of shadows in OpenMW for over a year. It has been a long road to get there though. A couple of shadow techniques are included in the OpenSceneGraph library, but they needed to be modified quite a bit to fit our specific needs. A year and a couple of months later, through hard work and a lot of bugs and technical issues to master, he has now finished implementing his own technique, based on one of OpenSceneGraph’s methods.

But while the shadows are merged and ready to enhance the immersion of your next adventure in Vvardenfell, there will always be room to improve them in the future. AnyOldName3 already has some ideas what could be added to make them look even better. We might address that in detail in a future post.

So from this day, the first builds with shadows implemented will be built. Grab the latest nightly builds for the operating system of your choice here while they are still hot, or build OpenMW yourself by following the instructions here. Important note though: the Windows nightlies are built at 3:00 AM, UTC. Linux nightlies are down at the moment.

Until next time!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom