Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Management / Sim OpenTTD 1.11.0 Released - now also available on Steam!

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by index.php, Apr 1, 2021.

1. index.php Arcane

index.php

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • sheeeeiiiit sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    first review i saw
    this is exactly why i'm not going to touch it. the interface is horriterribad, no mechanics should be hidden or obscure, something like this is an unforgivable mortal sin, and i can't think of how much similar shit might be hidden inside the game. it's time to have a brand new one, there's only so much that can be updated and upgraded, and i'm too old to put up with such crap.

• retadred x 3
    • butthurt x 2
    • /facepalm/ x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. index.php Arcane

index.php

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Kruno Arcane Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Kruno
    I will say that this is a fucking great game and anyone who has even a slight interest in simulation has to give this game a go. It might take a few hours of learning the basics, but it is worth it.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    You can also simply build a train station, then a bus station touching it. They'll be considered as one single station, and you can then use buses to transfer passengers from the inner city to that train station.
    And even if you don't do that, it's easy enough to make money in the game.

I've played a lot of OpenTTD, it's great.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    I recently realised you don't have to have square maps, so I made a long rectangular one. I haven't done much on it, but it's rather fun.
    I've had to heavily compress this screenshot, since the original was 70 Mb, and the host apparently doesn't want to display it full-size (34689x17495 px):

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    I played a long game on a great (and very large) Europe map. I centralised a few resources and linked every capital with high-speed lines.
    I have 310 trains, 198 road vehicles, 137 boats and 60 planes, close to 59,592 tiles of monorail, 19 airports, 6,645 road tiles, and a yearly profit of about 14 billion Euros.

Here's a few images (ugly jpgs, otherwise they weigh a ton).

The area around Paris, where many lines cross:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

I'm sending all the coal and iron ore on the map to an ironworks near Madrid (the resulting metal is transported back up to a factory in Northern France):
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

All the oil in the North Sea and from many oil wells on land is gathered near Amsterdam. This is a shot of the city, its docks and the canal that the tankers use to bring the oil to the train station further south:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

And all those millions of litres of oil are then sent to a refinery near Budapest, where they are turned into chemicals, then on to the same factory as for the metal. All that ends up as goods, which are taken to Paris, for about €50,000,000 per trainload:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    • nice nice x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. index.php Arcane

index.php

• incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    I'm sure they're heartbroken not to get your 0 dollars.

The interface is pretty good, you can drag and drop everything and move it to your heart's content.

Here, I'll ruin starcraft for you. If you hold shift you can add units to your selection. Holy shit.
    Also, in windows, if you press ctrl+a, it will select everything. What an unforgivable mortal sin, key combinations.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Sorry but you are fucking retarded.

He doesn't talk about keyboard shortcut you idiot. He talks about how UI and game design is fucked up. Yeah i knot this is TTD just open + options but maybe they should give by default improvements to experience ?

Here is an example:
    By default game doesn't fuckign care where you deliver goods and people. In order to enable cargo/passanger destination you have to go into pretty hidden setting. That fucking thing should be enabled by default !

Another:
    If you release few trains or busses on the road they WILL clog and go one after another. In order to make busses/trains spread out evenly you have to go through timetable creation which is complicated and i spend litearlly hours trying to figure it out.

Meanwhile all modern tycon game BY DEFAULT have auto timetables that work.

As much as i love OPENTTD there are just better transport tycoons to play now without spending hours trying to configure OTTD to be remotely playable.

Open source usually is benefit but it can become curse as well.

^ Top  
  11. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    He said this tip was what instantly turned him off, learn to read retard.
    Yeah the game isn't perfect, what the fuck do you want it's free. But that particular complaint was fucking dumb. It's too complex because someone suggested linking stations.

The timetable creation is straightforward, and since the entire game is about, you know, transporting cargo, it makes sense that's up to you to manage. Sorry it took you literal hours to figure out, some games aren't for everyone, have you tried Candy Crush?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Game is free therefore is good. No game is good regardless if it is free or not.

"He said this tip was what instantly turned him off, learn to read retard."

also you are looking at picture missing elephant in the room. As in Linking should be default position rather than making everything separate.

^ Top  
  13. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    Way too many syllables to be a haiku. It should be like this:

As an added bonus, on top of now being poetry worthy of a samurai, the words make no less sense than when you posted them.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    Is that a bad thing? When you're just starting to play the game, it's better that some things are easier. Later on, you can turn that option on.

That's not true. I've played the game a lot and I never managed to make that work. But then again, it's pretty much pointless, so whatever.

^ Top  
  15. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Actually it is harder and worse for start without it. Because without it you can't create route with multiple stations. You have to create separate routes because if you don't create separate routes all of your cargo and passengers will be released at first station train/bus will arrive.

That's not true. I've played the game a lot and I never managed to make that work. But then again, it's pretty much pointless, so whatever.[/QUOTE]

It is not pointless by default game comes with change to break. After enough time your busses trains will be moving in one combined pack instead of spread out.

^ Top  
  16. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    Of course you can. You can very easily bypass stations (just lay a track that goes around it), or even give your train the order to go through a station wihtout stopping (amthough you should avoid doing that, it' not great future-proofing).

I don't know how you're playing, but that shouldn't happen, no. You probably need to tell trains and vehicles to fully load at stations.

You seem to think it's basically impossible to play the game. If you look at my screenshots above, it's pretty obvious that the game works well and can be played, since I'm not getting any of the issues you mention. And I don't even use timetables!

^ Top  
  17. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Bypassing station is not multiple station route.

By default if you have ABCD route and you have say 100 passangers in A then when your train will reach B then ALL 100 people will leave at B. So if you have megalopolis with 10 000 pops and you have 2000 people on station and B is village with 30 people in it. All 2000 of them will leave at that 30 people village and none will get to C or D.

If you actually change options to get proper distributions then if you have router ABCD where A and D are big cities and BC are villages then only small part of people will elave at B and C while most will leave at either A or D which is what it should be instead of what is currently by default.

^ Top  
  18. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    Yeah, that's just not how the game works. There you go.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.