Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Operencia: The Stolen Sun - turn-based blobber by Hungarian pinball devs

V_K

Arcane
Still makes more sense than people saying "not gonna play this game, no matter how good it is, if the protagonist is female/gay/black".

Dexter

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/985950/view/5280989900255471813
Operencia: The Stolen Sun VR Update Arrives September 15
Hey adventurers!

Announcing that the FREE VR update for Operencia: The Stolen Sun will arrive September 15!

What does this mean?

A) For those of you who own the game already, you will get the VR compatibility for free. The game will ask at startup which mode you want to jump in.
B) Anyone who purchases the game starting September 15, will get both versions with the purchase.

e72436997b0b20250c4a97d218c1b8c0102c248a.png

We also have a DEMO going on until September 20! And to top it all off, we discounted the game 50%!

With stunning VR environments, Operencia: The Stolen Sun modernizes everything you love about classic first-person dungeon-crawlers. Gather your team of memorable heroes, and guide them through an immersive world inspired by Central European mythology, where history meets legend.

ba5c5a46fda2d7a35d415be08d4a79130c48855b.png

Harkening back to the dawn of RPGs, Operencia’s grid-based movement and turn-based combat feel right at home on your device – friendly to play sessions lasting hours.

See you on the 15th - next Tuesday!

Follow us on our socials to get the latest updates:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZenIndies
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/zenstudios
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zen_studios
Getting nao, it's even 50% Off:

Dexter

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/games/985950/announcements/detail/5280989900265805551
The VR Update is here! + 50% discount!
Jump into the adventure, now in VR!

Exploring the dark dungeon corridors and the mysterious forest corners of Operencia just became one step closer to reality. The FREE VR update to Operencia: The Stolen Sun is here!
511bad4248c90e49b01ec5104ae9673133cf0f1a.jpg

This update means that if you own the game on Steam you will be able to make a choice to play either the base game or the VR version. If you are just jumping in the adventure now, you will have access to both VR and base version after purchase. Cool isn’t it?

7cb17c1861e0dd927e712f49e5cc2c8f8d54dd75.jpg

Celebrating Operencia’s VR release, we’ve even discounted our Steam version by 50%!! If you ever wanted to lose yourself in a mystical land now is the best time to do it.

There seem to be some early issues on PC in that it says it supports Motion Controllers and Index/Vive/Rift, but apparently it only works with the Rift Controllers with other people at the moment being expected to use a GamePad or similar: https://steamcommunity.com/app/985950/discussions/0/4846392474893984452/#c4846392474902901070

V_K

Arcane
So I got this on a sale and been playing it for a bit. Now I'm somewhere in the middle of the second area (the forest) and I have to ask: does it get better? Because frankly, I'm bored. It looks like even more of a cargo cult blobber than BT4: the devs heard of the formula but clearly have no idea what makes it work. I mean, it's bizarre: they clearly put some effort into making puzzles non-repetitive, with unique mechanics for each - and then made it utterly pointless by including so many explicit and unavoidable hints that the puzzle turn into rote fetch quests. And then they went and ruined what was left of exploration completely with quests and quest markers*. In a blobber. Quests and quest markers in a blobber. Kill me please.
So my question to those who finished it - does it ever get less handholdy or should I just forfeit all hope?

*I know you can turn those off in difficulty options, but for some dumb reason they merged it either with no automap option or with limited saving option, neither of which I want.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Better than ... MMX, I'd say.
explain yourself

Never to somebody who probably has a weird L in his name.

I think M&M X has a certain blandness all around. Been a while since I finished it, though.
I don't really think it deserved the beloved M&M license.

Operencia at least has some charm and variety, I'd say. Too linear (but you can hunt for secrets), easy (but fun) puzzling, simple (but fast) combat, easy on the eyes... To sum it up, I thought it was a good non-hardcore RPG.

BruceVC

Magister
I have just started on this game and I am enjoying it so far, I am only less than 5 hours in but its great fun and I enjoy the East European mythology as its not something I am that familiar with :salute:

BruceVC

Magister
I completed this game after 80 hours, full disclosure I didnt defeat the end boss because it was too unbalanced but I enjoyed the rest of the game

It reminds me of a simpler version of BT4, less difficult puzzles and same exciting combat and the normal way in these games where you adopt different strategies in combat based on your characters which is to be expected and appreciated in this type of grid based combat game

I also loved the East European lore and the fact the narrative isnt concerned with any SJWism so its just good, classic fantasy and interesting main quest as you progress like climbing up the World Tree

And I thought the skills you learn were very well done like the treasure finder mechanic and the mechanical rooster and how you utilize them on your journey

A worthwhile game and one I recommend to any gamer who wants an " easier " BT4 experience :salute:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
This came up on my Steam feed because apparently the Codex curators recommended it. It's not bad. I'm about 5-6 hours in so far, just entered the forest. I might have more to say about it if I keep going -- I probably will. This feels like a game I will finish.

Voice acting ranges from not bad to awful, and I am disappointed that practically every item description has to have a "joke" in it. But the graphics aren't bad, the puzzles are okay, and the secrets are pretty easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

I will say that the developer, Zen, apparently makes nothing but pinball games and this is their first actual, real game . . . and you can kind of tell. The user experience is absolutely flooded with action signifiers -- flashes, blips, explosions, loud sounds, etc. A regular sword hit that does 1 damage feels like it does 50 damage, just from the animations. It's not bad, but you can tell these guys are used to making flashier UIs.

RuySan

Augur
This came up on my Steam feed because apparently the Codex curators recommended it. It's not bad. I'm about 5-6 hours in so far, just entered the forest. I might have more to say about it if I keep going -- I probably will. This feels like a game I will finish.

Voice acting ranges from not bad to awful, and I am disappointed that practically every item description has to have a "joke" in it. But the graphics aren't bad, the puzzles are okay, and the secrets are pretty easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

I will say that the developer, Zen, apparently makes nothing but pinball games and this is their first actual, real game . . . and you can kind of tell. The user experience is absolutely flooded with action signifiers -- flashes, blips, explosions, loud sounds, etc. A regular sword hit that does 1 damage feels like it does 50 damage, just from the animations. It's not bad, but you can tell these guys are used to making flashier UIs.
Pinball is the realest of games. It's the ultimate, purest game

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
My son shit himself at 4:45 and woke me up. He and my wife are back asleep now, but I've got some day-old coffee heated up on the stove top and I'm jumping back in. This game is not bad.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's really simple.

"I did not play that otherwise good game because there is no party creation" is certified autists who play games because they like to masturbate to numbers.
"I played this great adventure even though I could not customize my party" is people who actually enjoy a game as a whole and like exploring and adventuring and don't touch themselves over builds and synergies and numbers.
Listen faggot, it's not an RPG if you don't get to build your own character. Next time you DM a PnP session tell your players they have to be characters you've created instead of their own and see how they like it.

Pre-generated characters is and has been a thing in P&P play almost since it started. Obviously mostly used for one-shots and the like, but I recently ran a Witcher-campaign in GURPS where parts of the players' background and sheet were pregenerated. I've never heard anyone complain. Variety, spice of life etc. etc.

I'm starting a short (probably 4-5 sessions long) Shadowrun campaign with pre-generated characters as well.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's really simple.

"I did not play that otherwise good game because there is no party creation" is certified autists who play games because they like to masturbate to numbers.
"I played this great adventure even though I could not customize my party" is people who actually enjoy a game as a whole and like exploring and adventuring and don't touch themselves over builds and synergies and numbers.
Listen faggot, it's not an RPG if you don't get to build your own character. Next time you DM a PnP session tell your players they have to be characters you've created instead of their own and see how they like it.

Pre-generated characters is and has been a thing in P&P play almost since it started. Obviously mostly used for one-shots and the like, but I recently ran a Witcher-campaign in GURPS where parts of the players' background and sheet were pregenerated. I've never heard anyone complain. Variety, spice of life etc. etc.

I'm starting a short (probably 4-5 sessions long) Shadowrun campaign with pre-generated characters as well.

Pre-generated chars in cRPGs, especially blobbers, is usually a bad sign

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It certainly can be, but like Darth Roxor said it doesn't have to. Good examples of the contrary is Frayed Knights or for a non-blobber, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk.

Here's the type of menu my players receive when we use pre-generated characters. Then they talk amongst themselves how they want to distribute them:

CD4lNwK.jpg

IHqhHeN.jpg

iahoXoF.jpg

rK42jGx.jpg

PDtx2nw.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It certainly can be, but like Darth Roxor said it doesn't have to. Good examples of the contrary is Frayed Knights or for a non-blobber, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk.

Here's the type of menu my players receive when we use pre-generated characters. Then they talk amongst themselves how they want to distribute them:

Frayed Knight is like the exception to the rule, the game wouldn't work without pregen chars. As for pregen chars in P&P, my point here is what works in P&P just isn't applicable to cRPGs and so irrelevant. Yes, you can have pregen chars in cRPGs, but that only enhances storyfaggotry never gameplay itself.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dungeon of Naheulbeuk is better than Frayed Knights and relies just as much on pregen characters. While I prefer being able to create characters myself, I don't see myself automatically excluding a game due to pregen characters. What matters is customization options.

V_K

Arcane
This discussion is moot anyway because it's not the pregen characters that make Operencia shit, but rather almost everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom