Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Order these games by how bad their writing is

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am intentionally not asking "Which of these has the best writing". Order the following games, but no further additions:

• Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Witcher 3
  • Age of Decadence
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Icewind Dale
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • Elex
I'm just curious what the Codex thinks on the topic. :)

P.S. I'm saying games, not RPGs mainly because of Witcher 3
:troll:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn that's hard. Ok from "worst" to "best"
  • Elex (although honestly I didn't play the game but I watched RK47 playthrough which is enough for me)
  • Icewind Dale (I don't even remember if IWD had writing)
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Witcher 3
  • Age of Decadence

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Best to worst
  • Age of Decadence
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Icewind Dale
  • Witcher 3
  • Elex

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Worst to best:

• Elex
  • Icewind Dale
  • Witcher 3
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Age of Decadence

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
This is assuming only vanilla content so no White March,Witcher 3 expansions,HoW or AoD updates, worst to best:
* Divinity: Original Sin 2 :dead:
* Elex, but who knows how much of that is down to the localization
* Icewind Dale
* Pillars of Eternity
* Witcher 3
* Kingdom Come
* Age of Decadence

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Best to worst
Age of Decadence
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Icewind Dale
Divinity Original Sin 2
Pillars of Eternity
Witcher 3
Elex

Trashos

Arcane
Have only spent significant time with 3 of them (DOS2 is on to-do my list). Worst to best:

Pillars of Eternity (mixed bag, some good writing, a lot of bad or uninspired writing as well)
Icewind Dale (writing was not the point of that game, it was supposed to be serviceable and that's all it was. Got the job done.)
Age of Decadence (very strong writing. impressed me)

I voted PoE as worst, instead of IWD, due to how the question was asked. PoE does have more bad writing than IWD does.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ranking ELEX low only proves you ppl can't read. Elex has gr8 writing and setting, miles above derivative crap like D:OS2 and Pillows. Shame the gameplay around it is so damn bad, but what can you do. I'll take a game full of memorable good mixed with some shit like ELEX over derivative and safe mediocrity like DOS2 all day, any day.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since when is: A special agent. Left for dead. Will take his revenge. And bring down The Conspiracy. In... 'ELEX'! not derivative?

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Damn that's hard. Ok from "worst" to "best"
  • Icewind Dale
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Elex
  • Age of Decadence
  • Witcher 3

There, fixed. Witcher 3 made me *feel*. AoD is a well-written world and a story but at no point communicates with emotions. KCD also makes me feel at certain points but afterward, it is meh. IWD without its writing is *better* than DOS1/2 which has *terrible* writing. PoE is passable and at times makes zero sense. Elex is actually well written at points.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Since when is: A special agent. Left for dead. Will take his revenge. And bring down The Conspiracy. In... 'ELEX'! not derivative?

Compared to Pillows fedora tipping fantasy atheism and DOS2 LGBTXYZIHFLLF#2 simulator, Elex is a fucking masterpiece.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Worst to best.
  • Elex
  • Icewind Dale
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Witcher 3
  • Age of Decadence

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
From what I've played - worst to first:

Pillars of Eternity: Mixed bag, way too verbose.
Icewind Dale: Not great, but succinct.
Age of Decadence: Good.
Witcher 3: Fantastic.

Dorateen

Arcane
Justice always pales in comparison to vanity and ostentatious displays of power. I expected Tyr to manifest his divine will in this blade with lightning and fire. I should have remembered how the blade was given to me... with simple charity and humility. Justice is the right of every man, no matter how rich or poor, no matter how educated or ignorant. It should be found as often in the fields of farmers as it is in the fields of battle.

Icewind Dale

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
ELEX bestest writing

M9YIKnH.png

mm0ws5t.png

Sentinel

Arcane
From best to worst:
  • Witcher 3
  • Age of Decadence
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Icewind Dale
  • Elex
  • DivOS2

I'd even put KCD above Witcher 3 because W3 relies a lot on you having read some of the books, and it does not even care about introducing a new player to the characters. It also changes tons of stuff for the american mass appeal market, which I'm still ass pained about, but overall it did an excellent job, as does KCD, of making you care about the characters and, especially in the expansions, re-telling a folk tale with a witcher spin, which is exactly what the series should be about.

Seethe

Arbiter
Ranking ELEX low only proves you ppl can't read. Elex has gr8 writing and setting, miles above derivative crap like D:OS2 and Pillows. Shame the gameplay around it is so damn bad, but what can you do. I'll take a game full of memorable good mixed with some shit like ELEX over derivative and safe mediocrity like DOS2 all day, any day.

Not even 10% of that game's writing ever made any sense. I do not even know from where to begin explaining how dumb that game's writing is. Here's a bomb, that's actually a turret. Also, let's kick it after it gets destroyed.

Best to worst
  • Age of Decadence
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Icewind Dale
  • Witcher 3
  • Elex

I agree with your list according to what I know from it. I'd only place Elex under KCD

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
How many novels are there propping up witcher 3's writing? 7?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom