Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ori and the Blind Forest

Moon Studios, SJW shills?

• Yes

• Probably

• kingcomrade

• wtf mods

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
das rite i havent played a platformer in me loife which is why i cant recognise hobo knight for the best platformer evar that it is

Nice strawman you have there. Where did anybody say that Hollow Knight was the best platformer ever, just said it is one

deama

Prophet
I played hollow knight for a couple of hours, didn't like it, then I forced myself to play it for 4 more hours and still didn't like it.
I still don't really know why, I generally enjoy metroidvanias quite a lot, I've got super metroid under my belt (played it twice), metroid fusion (played it like 3-4 times), metroid zero mission (just once), valdis story: abyssal city (either 2 or 3 times), Touhou Luna Nights (just once), castlevania symphony of the night (just once), and a few castlevanias on the nintendo ds.

What's funny is that I tried playing the 3D metroids and didn't like them at all; my tastes seem to be very specific when it comes to metroidvanias, not really sure what those are.
Anyway, I'll give this one a go as some of the comments here caught my eye, I originally thought this was just some casual platformer made for grills.

Ash

Arcane
Not sure why people are reinforcing the claim that HK isn't a platformer by saying it isn't supposed to be a platformer. It absolutely IS in-part a platformer and features a ton of platforming, some simple to increasingly complex free-form platforming just traversing the environment, other specifically-designed platforming challenges with only one solution, and also platforming in combat.

This is such a strange phenomenon. I've seen people argue this numerous times for a variety of games/genres (e.g Half-Life, Ninja Gaiden -- both feature plenty platforming). If the game has designed platforming challenges to any notable degree and frequency, it's in-part a platformer. Hollow Knight has platforming all throughout, culminating in a 100% platforming focused level at the end called "the white palace".

I recommend trying the game again if you think it is overrated. the game is 60% combat, 40% platforming let's say. It's certainly not the most amazing game ever and perhaps even not the best metroidvania, but it's a solid game that deserves its popularity. I don't think it is any better or worse than Ori though, just more to my taste. Eh what am I saying it's way better than Ori. :smug:

Hollow Knight, just like Salt and Sanctuary is a 2d Souls like, so the focus is not on platforming, but on combat. Yes, it has vague lore, area shortcuts, equipment, charms etc. Remind you of something? Like Dark Souls idk?

Truly a retard. "Every game offering a challenge (as games are actually supposed to, but never mind that) post-2011 is a souls-like!"
...The only games that deserve that title is those that rip off its concepts wholesale: S&S, Nioh etc. Hollow Knight is not that, it is a metroidvania. Or just a 2D action-platformer if you prefer. Games like this existed long before Dark Souls.

Last edited:
I came back to this thread years later because I've finally gone back to play the Definitive edition of this beautiful game.

At some point some mod edited the thread and inserted this retarded poll. It wasn't me. There was ZERO sjw bullshit in this game. Zero. They also put my text in a quote tag. What the fuck is this shit?

lightbane

Arcane
That came from a mention from the game's writers saying that Ori's gender is unknown, or none. Seeing he is a light spirit born from a leaf, I would agree.

Alright, 5 years after buying this I've finally managed to sit down and finish it. Played through it from start to finish in 2 days (playtime around 7 hours but I didn't 100% everything) and with around 400 deaths. I really enjoyed it. It's beautiful, the soundtrack is great and controls are responsive. There's very little handholding, the platforming isn't trivial and there are some pretty creative mechanics. My least favourite aspect of the game, as I imagine was the case with most people, was the combat, but I don't really think it detracted from the overall quality.

I think some people chalk this game up as "easy" because of how they managed to minimize frustration by allowing the player to save pretty much anywhere. I don't think this trivializes everything, but I can understand the argument against it. According to Steam, almost 35% of the people who bought the game finished it, which is a pretty high number - this could mean that the game is engaging enough for people to stick with it long enough to finish it, while keeping frustration down. Or it could mean that it's dumb popamole and I'm wrong, but I don't really care either way.

Ace game. I regret not buying the sequel at 50% off during this last sale - I'll do it at the earliest opportunity. Is it as good as the first?

My patience for longer games is really very low these days, I think Ori was just about the perfect length. I'll check out the sequel when it's on sale again.

DraQ

Arcane
My patience for longer games is really very low these days, I think Ori was just about the perfect length. I'll check out the sequel when it's on sale again.
My perfect length for non-open world games is >30h, so the first Ori being around 10h on first, exhaustive playthrough left me craving for more (I ended up starting second playthrough almost immediately afterwards).

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

I bought the sequel on the sale and finished it with 100% completion at 13 hours, so it's not that much longer.

DraQ

Arcane

I bought the sequel on the sale and finished it with 100% completion at 13 hours, so it's not that much longer.
Dafuq? The sequel was solid >30h for me.

I've started playing Will of the Wisps and right off the bat, it looks even better than the original without forcing things too much. The HDR presentation is fantastic. I'm not sure I like the shift to Hollow Knight-style equippable mechanics instead of the old tech tree, and I don't like autosave systems, but I'm sure it's fine. There's more dialogue and I don't like the "quest" format for this type of game, but it's not a big deal. Looking forward to playing more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom