Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Original Colonization vs Civ 4 remake?

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by octavius, Jan 20, 2017.

1. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Anyone played both the original Colonization and the remake that is bundled with Civ 4 Complete Edition?
    If so which is better, and why?

^ Top  
  2. Kalin Unwanted Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Unwanted
    Original all the way.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Comte Arcane

Comte
    Original is better. Like in most "Modern" strategy games the AI is braindead in the new one. That ruined it for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. rezaf Arbiter

rezaf
    The original is better in almost every way.

Many things have been dumbed down simplified, sometimes to "steamline", sometimes to shoehorn stuff into the Civ4 engine it clearly was not meant to accomodate.
    The game plays slower and in my opinion, the clear top-down view of the original even looks better.
    A major downside is that the windows version does not run on a x64 OS.

The new version has few things going for it, mainly mod support and a few tiny nooks and crannies (for example you couldn't abandon walled colonies in the original Colonization and in CivCol you can, iirc).

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. asfasdf robot Patron

asfasdf
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    Original is better, but the remake is enjoyable.

^ Top  
  6. spectre Arcane

spectre
    The Civ4 remake changed quite a bit of stuff, like requiring gold for almost any sort of training (took me by surprise first time I played), but one can't shake the feeling that the civ4 strings are showing from underneath,
    which makes it lose some of the original's charm. I was especially fond of the endgame ranking with various stuff being named after you.

For what it's worth, I spent much more time on the original, not so much on the remake, though I recognize its merits.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    I've tried the remake only very briefly, but it felt like a mod unlike the original that felt like its own game.

If it had a bit higher res graphics, like 640x480 for example, it would be really great.

^ Top  
  8. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    The original game is better. For the remake, there's a mod "The Authentic Colonization" (TAC), which unfortunately only works with well with a German Col version (at least that's what the authors say). You can switch the German version to English, but some texts are missing / wrong, a pure English version doesn't work properly at all. Maybe it works with the Steam version.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Being a huge fan of both games, I play TAC all the time, it's great. The old Colonization suffers from the problem that no matter how advanced your units are, they still only have like a 80% chance to win the battle. While the new Civ4 version you can reach 99.99% probabilities, this makes it less frustrating.

• Brofist x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Arrowgrab Arbiter

Arrowgrab
    Really? Can't say I ever noticed that. Admittedly, haven't played it in a while, so memory might be failing me; still, I'd expect to remember something like that.

^ Top  
  12. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    I only quoted from the (German) FAQ - so I don't have first hand experience with running it on an English version. Interestingly the English FAQ over at the fanatics doesn't mention these problems so English users are probably fine.

^ Top  
  13. Arrowgrab Arbiter

Arrowgrab

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.