Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Original Fallout Trilogy receives Bethesda update on Steam!

Modron

Arcane
The menus could definitely be improved, and feel a little unresponsive at times, but I wouldn't call them "unwieldy."
Try to sell 10 items for 4000 caps and tell me it's not unwieldy.

You can enter numbers in the trade screen with number keys and you can scroll up and down in menu with page up/down don't see what's so hard about that. All the skills have keyboard short cuts, really the only thing unwieldy is using an item from inventory and pushing. Oh and quicksave and quickload being right next to each other.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
You can enter numbers in the trade screen with number keys and you can scroll up and down in menu with page up/down don't see what's so hard about that. All the skills have keyboard short cuts, really the only thing unwieldy is using an item from inventory and pushing. Oh and quicksave and quickload being right next to each other.

Yeah, but it's limited to 999 in the first Fallout (which makes it annoying), the sequel fixed this with 9999 limit.

Weasel

You will have to pry this from my COLD DEAD HANDS!

That's if your cold dead hands aren't otherwise occupied:

dkvj3B9.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

These would be funny last words if your house catches fire while you were asleep and your charred corpse was found in a position that suggests you were crawling towards your pile of melted CDs.

...um.

What are you talkin' 'bout fool, physical media is impervious and the only way to really own something forever!

Modron

Arcane

Someday those will rot CD's don't last forever you know; but, do not worry as you'll soon join them as your heart slowly dies from a thousand cuts as you're greeted by a little zenimax/bethesda softworks logo in the corner every time you launch the game from steam.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Thank you for tagging me on this, Infinitron.

1) I am concerned about the new Cloud-saving support; couldn't it really fuck up Fixt functionality? I know nothing about working with Cloud saves for mods. Will they even be compatible? Does Steam release any kind of SDK or instructions for working with Cloud saves? (lol right)

2) Bethesda mentions Windows 8 support; were Fallout1 and Fallout2 NOT working on Windows 8 before this release? I've had reports of my mod being broken on Windows 8, but I don't know if it's just my mod or also the games themselves that were having issues on that OS.

3) Who the fuck uses the main-menu-with-a-shittier-menu-font as the splash screen? Weird. Did they also remove the original 5 splash screens?

I do like that Bethesda used the red-text "stamp" of the game title in that shitty "splash screen"; that only appeared in the Fallout demo prior, and I always thought it looked cool. It's what I used as the basis for the "Fixt" part of my title banner thingy. Although looking at it, I'm realizing that part is all pixely on mine because I fucked up when copying it.

1251gnd.jpg

^^ Especially confusing since the controls for Fo1/2 are literally just the right and left mouse buttons.
Pretty obvious he means the interface is unwieldy. Which is actually true.
I think what those reviewers really mean is "I'm too fucking [adjective here] to read the manual, AND, also didn't try hitting "F1" in-game for Help." -- If someone can't be bothered to read the manual (which seems depressingly common these days) and can't be bothered to hit "F1" in-game, ehhhhhhh.

6pme87.jpg

Not to mention the manual walks you through the entire first area with the rats. BUT READING MANUALS IS HARD, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

This leaves me feeling sad and empty :(
Hugs bro. (No homo)

Fallout should have come with Fallout FIXT as it is basically an all-in-one 'enhanced edition' of the game.
I approve this message. :smug:

FIXT is not finished yet.
Okay :cry:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sduibek I suspect the cloud saving process is external to the game, ie, Steam is configured to upload the contents of the save directory to the cloud when the game exits. Not 100% sure though.

Last edited:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
If all they do is upload & download the files as-is, I think we should be okay. I will try to remember to test it for myself. But I suppose if it's fucked we'll know sooner or later via bug reports and posts to NMA :D

EDIT: It looks like my previous purchases of Fallout games on Steam are still valid. I was concerned they might be forcing us to re-buy everything. It is Bethesda after all ;)

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane

That's if your cold dead hands aren't otherwise occupied:

dkvj3B9.png
Yes, Im sure the release will kill a lot of people as Cleve sends them packages out of spite. Infinitron in particular will be found dead, in his bathtub. "Itz came" written on the walls with the codexers blood, his hands clutching a review copy of the Winged Exemplar. His face frozen in a mix of despair and surprise, not unlike that of the old school Fallout fan who decided to be 100percent spoiler free for the upcoming release of Bethesdas Fallout. Itz coming, tender lumplings.

Delterius

Arcane
Anyway, we should all take a moment and thank Herve for what he did. At the very last moment he tried and almost managed to redeem himself.of.his sins. Interplay mieht be dead but I got.fallout copies for every friend, relative, farm and domestic animal this side of America.

Modron

Arcane
I think of it more as the last minute attempt of an evil bastard to give a better account of himself as he lay dying. Also as a big fu to Zenimax who deserve it.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I plunged into the Steam store reviews. Abandon all hope etc:
I want my money back D: it never said it was such a stupid game, I was expecting an FPS like one of the other Fallouts... wtf?!
(Fallout 2)

All the rest of these are reviews of Fallout 1.

i got into the fallout world with FO3 and shouldnt of listened to all the "old school" players raving on about it great story or not its dated and i mean dated

this game is not worth your time. The story is not interesting. The characters i didnt care about. If you want to paly a good fllout game play fallout 2, 3, or new vegas.

But with that aside, Fallout New Vegas was my first Fallout game which I enjoyed very much and after looking into its predecessors, I realised that Fallout 1 and 2 were VERY different games.
Upon picking this game up...I just couldn't get into it and it was easy to put down.
I just didn't see it as exciting or entertaining and I hated the fact that going to different areas was completley contructed of fast travel as opposed to exploring the empty wasteland.

Presentation: 8/10 - It looks pretty good for its time.

Control: 6/10 - It's difficult to know what everything does but when you get used to it, it's okay.

Gameplay: 4/10 - For me, it felt like a difficult, slow, snorefest, I recommend the far superior, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Final Verdict: 4/10

Possibly the best and most puzzling review of Fallout ever:
Man. The Internet totally ruined the word "sir" and diluted the idea of being a "gentleman" past recognition. Everything it finds it beats into the ground until nobody wants to hear it anymore, and then keeps going anyway.

Now we have fedora wearing neckbearded my little pony fapping acne riddled ♥♥♥♥♥ hentai posting live action role playing self meme coining asperger riddled fat gamer ♥♥♥♥s everywhere. A whole ♥♥♥♥ing lost generation of people that have all the worst aspects of being nerds without even necessarily being very good at using computers. And soon, all of these useless ♥♥♥♥s are going to buy Oculus Rift VR goggles and abscond into an even worse cyberspace that will make Second Life look downright palatable and they'll sit there absorbing welfare and free wifi while the rest of us ♥♥♥♥s work for a living.

diahrea with zitti and butt sauce

Boring, it may have been great if I played it 20 years ago or during it's time but now it's just very boring. It's very similar to command and conquer yet different. Back in the 1990's great yes, now... :( I want to like it, but finding it diffult to do so.. I wouldn't say dislike, I'd say more like a lack of excitment. I'm falling asleep.

To be fair there must of been a reason as to why games weren't as popular back then, the bore factor.

Game play is hard, controls are not easy to use.

i have no idea what to do

Why in the world did i buy this....

Story is confusing. Controls are Horrendous. Don't play this if you are expecting the same experience as Fallout 3 or New Vegas, It's graphics are horrible and it is far to difficult for your average game playing person. Some of it's flaws can be forgiven because of it's age but it doesn't save it.

THIS GAME SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my fave review ever:

worst game i've ever played. along with their other games
Remember folks, those are the same people who post PC gaming master race comments all over the internet. Because better graphics and Yahtzee said so. :negative::x

This one was my favorite
To be fair there must of been a reason as to why games weren't as popular back then, the bore factor.
Keep telling yourself that. Surely it cant have anything to do with the fact that fuckwits like you stuck with sitcoms and sports so our genepool wasn't polluted by commoners who are afraid to do anything that's not "socially acceptable".

Which is better and why; secluding yourself in a bubble and ignoring the outside world or buying a trench coat and a punisher shirt? Discuss!

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I look to my right. There's a window there. I peer outside. It is dark. There's nobody walking around. Lampposts break the blackness. A flag moves about, the only motion in what else would seem like a frozen world that yet betrays a bustling society underneath, now at sleep.

I look forward again. There's words on the screen. Someone typed angry words because they looked for idiotic things, and subsequently got angry at them.

They seem like a fruitless affair.

Black

Arcane
If only hate could be used to kill people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom