Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Stella Brando

Arcane
Does anyone know how to get hold of the Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition "green books?"

They had separate books about historical settings - 1600s Europe, the Crusades etc.

I'd love to have to have a look at them, if I could.

Thank you so much.

Bara

Arcane
Does anyone know how to get hold of the Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition "green books?"

They had separate books about historical settings - 1600s Europe, the Crusades etc.

I'd love to have to have a look at them, if I could.

Thank you so much.

Legally you can find it on drivethrurpg. Elsewhere as the books are so old you can probably find alternative scans of lower quality via google searches pretty easy of the original print run. A lot of the old stuff can be found that way.

The green versions are just a premium reprint with no changes in the internal material.

Also, in general news Kevin Crawford launched his kickstarter for his gazzetter book on Latter Earth for Worlds Without Number.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/the-atlas-of-the-latter-earth

Mostly linking it because I appreciate his second update where he said

If I were a reckless sort, this is the point at which I'd be gluing stretch goals onto the campaign and promising you a glittering array of t-shirts, novelty dice, and silver-plated replica Atlantean drinking mugs for whale backers. As tempting as a good t-shirt is, I shall remain with my customary stretchlessness and focus exclusively on completing and shipping what I have promised to you.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Like I promised myself never to pirate anything OSR related and support good content but damn does that chip at that.
Is that even piratable? Goodman's website states that "This product will NOT be available as a PDF." for the older tomes. So it might be that noone will bother scanning this. Does anyone here owns somthing like this?
OAR2-IsleOfDread-FINAL-768x994.jpg

From the Youtube vids I can see it's like 400 pages or so. Is that all new material or did they just copy it from somewhere?

Bara

Arcane
Is that even piratable? Goodman's website states that "This product will NOT be available as a PDF." for the older tomes. So it might be that noone will bother scanning this. Does anyone here owns somthing like this?
OAR2-IsleOfDread-FINAL-768x994.jpg
From the Youtube vids I can see it's like 400 pages or so. Is that all new material or did they just copy it from somewhere

Only for the classic TSR module conversions are they print only per some stipulation of wotc. Why when they sell the original adventures on dtrpg as pdfs already I don't know.

The OAR books tend to follow the format of history behind the module and some articles, a total reprint of the original adventure as it was released, and then a total conversion to 5e with generally a lot of new expanded material. At least it was so for B4's conversion.

Though they had a lot of space to work with there as the lower city was a open ground to work with as the original module didn't detail much in the hopes of getting DM's to use that to start building out their own content.

As for finding pdf's of the TSR era OAR books you can find these scanned into pretty good quality pdfs online with enough google searching.

As for the new release The Dark Tower, Goodman Games owns the rights to it completely as they bought it off the judges guild and as such they can now include a pdf of the OAR for sale. And also thankfully include a Dungeon Crawl Classics conversion.

And as a aside here Goodman Games staff this would mark the start when all OAR books include a DCC conversion option instead of just 5e. But they also said that this isn't the end of TSR modules being made into OAR books...

Not sure if this is anything concrete really as I doubt wotc would ever classic TSR D&D modules to be converted into DCC. But the OAR books already include adverts in the back to other Goodman Game products and DCC so maybe?

Last edited:

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Is anyone interested in discussing urban fantasy in an OSR DIY vein? I'm not interested in WoD and want to discuss/play/create urban fantasy outside of it. I'm leery of making a new thread just yet because I don't know if there's enough interest here to justify it. I've tried before and it just doesn't attract attention.

SoupNazi

Is anyone interested in discussing urban fantasy in an OSR DIY vein? I'm not interested in WoD and want to discuss/play/create urban fantasy outside of it. I'm leery of making a new thread just yet because I don't know if there's enough interest here to justify it. I've tried before and it just doesn't attract attention.
What's your idea of urban fantasy? Because there are many different views of the term, so it'd be best if you could specify.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
What's your idea of urban fantasy? Because there are many different views of the term, so it'd be best if you could specify.
Okay.

My idea is specifically that the setting(s) is a close approximation of modern day Earth where magic exists but is hidden from the public.

So more Urban Arcana, less Shadowrun or MagiTech. All of those approaches would need special attention.

Sacibengala

Prophet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PufXMjSA-Kw Raggi position about the new BS drivethrurpg pulled off.

For context:

https://onebookshelfpublisherservic...ticles/227866447-Publisher-Conduct-Guidelines

https://onebookshelfpublisherservic...ticles/227866467-Product-Standards-Guidelines

"Product Content
Neither your Work, description, nor any promotional material, including blog posts or press releases, may contain racist, homophobic, discriminatory, or other repugnant views; overt political agendas or views; depictions or descriptions of criminal violence against children; rape or other acts of criminal perversion; or other obscene material without the express written permission of OneBookShelf. "

And

"Hostile Marketing: Our policy regarding potentially offensive content (see Product Standards Guidelines) reported by customers is to deactivate such titles while they are being reviewed. Publishers who deliberately court controversy by making public declarations or accusations of censorship resulting from this process in order to draw attention to their products will be considered to use hostile marketing.

Publishers who direct or support public accusations of impropriety or censorship toward OneBookShelf when their controversial titles are rejected or removed from our marketplace will also be considered to use hostile marketing.

This behavior will not be tolerated. We have adopted a strict one-warning policy for those who engage in hostile marketing: The first incident will prompt a warning, and after a second incident, their accounts will be removed from our site permanently and immediately."

Last edited:

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
This basically means huge swathes of material, particularly edgy 90s content, is now against the rules unless OBS grants an exemption.

Of course OBS is going to selectively enforce these new rules, right?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is the kind of rule that could be mobilised against anyone. For example, "overt political agendas or views" would allow them to pull almost any recent RPG for pushing woke views. "Blog posts" extends this from product to community, potentially tweets.

Of course, you know they will not be pulling Thirsty Sword Lesbians for its "violations". Remember, DTRPG is the company whose Discord requires you to fill in your pronoun during the registration process. (I am not a member for this reason.)

Welcome to anarcho-tyranny, and welcome to the total state where no aspect of life can escape being ideologically regulated.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Just found out about this https://pressreleases.triplepointpr...kshelf-joining-forces-gain-5-to-intelligence/

Roll20 and OneBookShelf Joining Forces, Gain +5 to Intelligence

Roll20DriveThruRPG-Banner_1920x1080-1200x675.jpg

Digital tabletop juggernauts combine powers to create an industry-leading platform for digital play, promising a seamless future of cross-platform PDF support and synchronized content libraries on the largest virtual tabletop.
Las Vegas, NV (July 13, 2022) – Today, Roll20 and OneBookShelf announced their plans to join forces, bringing together two of the world’s leading digital tabletop roleplaying (TTRPG) content platforms. Roll20 is already the world’s most popular virtual tabletop platform for roleplaying games, providing a digital space for over 10 million users to play TTRPGs daily. OneBookShelf manages eleven ecommerce marketplaces, most notably DriveThruRPG and Dungeon Masters Guild, and is the premier online vendor for the TTRPG industry. The deal empowers players to manage content across platforms for nearly any tabletop game, connect more easily with other players, and step into games immediately, all in one place.
This change forges an unprecedented alliance of industry experience in the TTRPG space, fusing more than a century of combined executive leadership with publisher and community relationships to create the best tabletop platform experience. TTRPG publishers and creators can now easily reach audiences in the virtual game space where they most often play, allowing customers to seamlessly find, share, and play their favorite games.
The joint venture brings together a party of 40 technical wizards dedicated to improving product, code, and user experience. In the coming weeks, the new entity will add PDF support to Roll20’s virtual tabletop (VTT), giving GMs and players the ability to upload, read, share, and immediately play using any PDF in the VTT. At a later date, the companies will make OneBookShelf PDF libraries accessible within the Roll20 virtual tabletop experience, and are committing to ensure that OneBookShelf PDFs will not count toward Roll20 storage quotas.
“Joining forces with OneBookShelf creates the best place to purchase, peruse, and play TTRPGs online, period,” said Ankit Lal, CEO of Roll20. “Since 2012, Roll20 has been the industry leader in virtual tabletop gaming, hosting content from some of the biggest publishers in the space, including Wizards of the Coast, Paizo, and Chaosium. With this deal, we gain significant progress on several of our user promises that dramatically improve the VTT, and will work together to continue adding new and exciting features to our already industry-leading platform.”
“Our mission from the get-go has always been to make it easier for publishers and creators to reach a wider audience of roleplaying fans,” said Steve Wieck, CEO of OneBookShelf. “By combining forces with Roll20, we empower game makers to present content across a wider variety of formats, whether character creators, virtual tabletop, digital editions, or print. Customers will be able to support their favorite games, in any format they desire, with one economical purchase, and they will be able to use their content on roleplaying’s most trusted platform.”
Following the closure of the deal, Ankit Lal will continue as CEO, having been promoted from President of Roll20 in January 2022. He brings 14 years of experience leading strategy, product, analytics, and marketing teams across several industries, most recently at Google and ClassPass. OneBookShelf CEO Steve Wieck will join the Roll20 governing board and executive team, bringing 35 years of experience across the TTRPG industry. Wieck’s credits are numerous: he co-founded White Wolf Publishing, producers of Vampire: the Masquerade and other World of Darkness properties, founded DriveThruRPG in 2004 (which later combined with RPGNow to form OneBookShelf, Inc), and later served on the CCP Games Board of Directors following the company’s White Wolf acquisition. Together, the two combine a wealth of product development and industry-specific knowledge.
Roll20 partnering with OneBookShelf is the latest move under Ankit Lal’s leadership to help realize a new vision for the platform. Since Lal assumed the CEO position, Roll20 has added features highly demanded from fans including Dark Mode, one-way barriers with Dynamic Lighting, and updated compendium sharing. The platform’s performance-improving initiative, Operation Fire Bolt, has reduced in-game load times by 57% and boosted launch speeds by up to 50% for almost all games. Over the rest of 2022, Roll20 users can look forward to continued VTT improvements, faster dice results, more Dynamic Lighting updates, improved character creation and character sheets, and more.
A press kit with additional assets, including a preview of PDF support in Roll20’s VTT, can be found here.
About OneBookShelf
OneBookShelf and its family of premiere online marketplaces, including Dungeon Masters Guild, DriveThruRPG, DriveThruComics, Pathfinder Infinite, and more, have been selling digital and print-on-demand roleplaying games, war games, comic books, and fiction since 2001. Tens of thousands of publishers — from big names you’ve seen in print, such as Wizards of the Coast, Valiant Comics, Modiphius, and Chaosium, to our industry’s many talented small press innovators — have come together to list hundreds of thousands of titles, so you can be sure to find what you want whenever you want it.
About Roll20
Roll20 is the all-in-one solution for organizing and playing tabletop games online, allowing you to play your games anywhere and share them with anyone virtually. With the ability to choose from a number of popular titles built ready for your virtual tabletop, your adventures are limitless and you can get started playing with little to no prep. Dive into advanced features like Dynamic Lighting or explore macros and APIs to add some extra depth to your game. Roll20 lets you play your tabletop games, your way. For more information, please visit https://roll20.net/.
For more information:
TriplePoint on behalf of Roll20 and OneBookShelf
roll20@triplepointpr.com

SoupNazi

Ah fuck, is this why Raggi had to release that naked video criticizing OBS' new censorship policy?

Bara

Arcane
More than a partnership per this article they two companies are going to merge

A company spokesperson clarified in an email to Dicebreaker that Roll20 and OneBookShelf “will operate independently for a short while longer” but plan to “combine later this year into one joint venture led by Ankit Lal as CEO and Steve Wieck as President.” A timeline for this merger was not provided, and it’s not clear if both entities will keep their current branding going forward. Dicebreaker has reached out for more information.

Weary of this merger but so long as this doesn't affect my library there (which I thankfully already have stored on a couple of drives)

And so long as they continue to add more print on demand options for old TSR D&D books I don't think I'll really care about this.

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
You did good. One thing that I noticed is that I had all the booklets included in my copy of the classics rules tome from OSE on drivethrurpg. Now, the booklets are all gone. Sure, I didn't paid more for the booklets, but give something and then take it back wasn't cool. I should have downloaded it all and kept on googledrive or something.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm genuinely surprised that there's no competition for DriveThruRPG. I mean, even if we disregard all the blatantly political bullshit, the website is technically a piece of shit and its user experience is horribad, especially on mobile. What gives?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Network externalities" - other sites have a superior platform, but right now, DTRPG has the critical mass, so even if other sites offer better infrastructure and terms, DTRPG outcompetes them on volume of sales.

Right now, itch.io is growing up as an alternative, although it is mostly used by woke creators, so there might be a catch there I am not seeing. Lulu used to be the big thing, but it is a general POD site, and RPGs just don't get direct visibility. Mythmere Games used to have an electronic storefront for small OSR creators, about ten years ago, but Mythmere could not maintain it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Lulu used to be the big thing, but it is a general POD site, and RPGs just don't get direct visibility.
I have a friend who purchases books from there to get around paying EU shipping/extra VAT fees or somesuch. They have printers in Spain, apparently.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom