Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Other than starcraft 2, what are some rts that have a strong online community?

desocupado

Magister
I was feeling like playing an rts, but I have no clue what's being played nowadays. Anybody care to inform me?

desocupado

Magister
By strong, I mean I can go to the matchmaking and get a match in a couple of minutes, preferably against somebody on my skill level.

AoE2 stands for Age of Empires2, right? What is SCBW, tho?

praetor

Arcane
Supreme Commander, maybe? probably also Total Annihilation and the Spring engine

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Company of Heroes, Men of War and Warhammer all are part of the new RTS style with very little focus (if at all in some cases) on base construction and way heavier focus on individual/small unit control than the grander scheme and economy side of things.
If you want an experience reminiscent of the good old days like the one StarCraft 2 offers - but don't want to play that particular game - Age of Empires 2 or Supreme Commander are the way to go. StarCraft 2 still offers the biggest active community by far though.

Also that Command and Conquer / Dune Engine that got released not long ago looks extremely interesting, didn't check it out myself yet but there was a ton of press/youtube superstar coverage only a couple days ago. So I would imagine there are plenty of players: http://openra.res0l.net/
There's a "players online" graph on the website, says it's around 160 people per day (don't know if that statistic is measuring people concurrently online or logged in throughout the whole day though).

desocupado

Magister
I like the Warhammer 40k Retribution a lot, but I thought the game as dead and buried. I asked for a strong community so I don't invest time and frustration to learn the game, and when I'm actually getting decent, there's no players left to play against.

I played my fair share of Wings of Liberty, but the artificially inflated need for apm and the jew pricing in my country kinda pushes me away from trying heart of the swarm.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
How's Planetary Annihilation doing? Anyone playing it?

Aothan

Magister
Dawn of War II persists despite the company being decommissioned, not sure what the playerbase count is of recent, but a few months ago it still had approximately 1000 players on at the usual times of the day. From those numbers there is always a few public games listed and the matchmaking system for ranked 1v1 games was still prompt enough to start games within two or so minutes time.

however depending on the state of the playerbase it could be prudent to play some of the less balanced races if you want to maintain challenge, in other words not Orcs or Chaos, which THQ saw fit to overpower (especially the later for reasons unknown). I would recommend using the key modifications that organise the layout of unit abilities or allow for personal customisation, the default configuration is a curious arrangement of different key locations. I would also recommend the original DoW if by chance there is still an active playerbase.

Blitzkrieg

Novice
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars and Kanes Wrath still have active online communities we just made a new website last month to host tournaments and forums there are fanmade mappacks and patches that are frequently being published and that are being added to the ranked ladder and tournament map pools its a great RTS if you want some competitive action and people still play custom maps and comp stomp maps too. This is the website http://www.kaneswrathonline.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
unplayable

C&C 3 Tiberium Wars and Kanes Wrath still have active online communities we just made a new website last month to host tournaments and forums there are fanmade mappacks and patches that are frequently being published and that are being added to the ranked ladder and tournament map pools its a great RTS if you want some competitive action and people still play custom maps and comp stomp maps too. This is the website http://www.kaneswrathonline.com/

That's nice to hear. C&C 3 is the first C&C game I didn't buy, maybe I'll pick it up next time it goes on sale on steam.

Johannes

Arcane

I want to know this as well. The game looks pretty fucking cool.
well, I'm asking because the game is always on the front page of Steam, but I never hear anything about it.

First somewhat recent view of the game my search brought up. Now, the players are clearly pretty terrible, Energy stalling while floating tons of metal (on the winner), no interaction, scouting or anything, for several minutes at the start, but a lot of big issues clearly visible are not related to that.

-Fucking icons on everything. Even at viewrange where the units could be recognised without em, there's the dumb icons over every unit. Why have unit models in the first place then?
-No minimap or any way to easily navigate even a single planet. It's already a potential clusterfuck to handle maneuvering across one sphere having to do constant roll-arounds just to see what's going on, now imagine several planets/moons with stuff on them (is that even implemented yet?).

Blitzkrieg

Novice
If you want competent PA gameplay check out Zaphodx on youtube hes a good player. The game looks interesting if only because of the fact that you can have multi planet and moon combat in a solar system and players on your team all share the same economy and units other than that it looks exactly like SupComm except on a globe instead of a table with the same unit designs, same buildings, same economy, same tech structure except no tier 3 this time only tier 2 i havent actually played the game yet but i have been following it and watching alot of matches and it seems like every match is just players spamming tanks and box selecting large amounts of units and giving them a general attack order into other giant groups of unit icons but ill probably check it out anyway since theres not much coming out

Johannes

Arcane

Hmm, no, that's pretty terrible play. His base layout is just random, he's slow as fuck, his strategy completely lacks focus, he's just coming up with what to do on the fly.

And if that is actually strategically sound (if inefficient) play, holy fuck that is a bad game balance-wise. They're sitting around building their economies for 15 minutes until anything really happens. And then you just get blobs of tanks moving around, no distinctive units to be seen or interesting maneuvering going on - all units are also extremely slow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom