Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*out of date* - PS:T 1024x768 UI pack (v0.6)

taplonaplo

Scholar
Hey ghost, you might be interested to check out my modifications on the ui. It's on 1280x800, and works more or less. Unlike VO this one is not trying to be as bugfree as possible, but rather how it should be if all things worked right so it looks a bit messed up in some places. You could use it either as reference/base/is and i'd be glad if you could provide me with some feedback.
EDIT: link: some errors needs to be fixed

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks taplonaplo, I'll check it out. I've done some progress with some parts of the gui but I'm still unsure as to how to present some of the screens in wide format. I'll either have to stretch them , leave black bars to the sides , or crop them. I'm now thinking of making something similar to baldur's gate , where the original screen stays the same size and the rest of the screen is filled with some kind of background, this way the original art will remain unchanged.

Also does anyone know where I can find the loading (or unloading data) screens and the "please insert cd2" image files? I can' seem to find them in the override folder.

Last but not least, I edited the journal screen with DLTCEP and I managed to move everything except the images of the bestiary. Vanished One do you by any chance know where are the values that affect this?

[EDIT]
Damn, I can't believe it taplonaplo, we had the same idea for framing the original 640x480 start screen ! Here's mine :

newscreen1fa4.jpg

ghostdog said:
Also does anyone know where I can find the loading (or unloading data) screens and the "please insert cd2" image files? I can' seem to find them in the override folder.
They aren't there, I guess the Widescreen mod doesn't change them. The original backgrounds are GUILG01.MOS to GUILG10.MOS, GUILS01.MOS to GUILS20.MOS, GUISG01.MOS to GUISG10.MOS, GUIDS10.MOS, GUIID.MOS (They are in alphabetical order in Near Infinity, and you can export them).
Last but not least, I edited the journal screen with DLTCEP and I managed to move everything except the images of the bestiary. Vanished One do you know where are the values that affect this?
No, I'm sorry. And that's why my pack doesn't center it. Maybe in torment.exe. Damn, I really need someone to explain me what lines affect what in torment.exe. That way I should be able to solve most problems (MOS and BMP files not showing outside the 640x480 box, tooltips, the info that displays when you click certain objects in the gameworld, etc.). But I can barely use a hex editor, I don't know how to find the right addresses in an executable.

taplonaplo

Scholar
@ghostdog haha :), btw may i ask what resolution are you working on?

if the bmp/mos issue would be fixed, the beast picture could be solved with extending bmps with transparent area.
AFAIK the problem is with loading screens that they only appear in the 640x480 area as well and i have no idea how to move the bar in the bottom.

EDIT: @ vanished one: i think its a photoshopped loadingscreen...guisg02

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
EDIT: @ vanished one: i think its a photoshopped loadingscreen...guisg02
Exactly ;)

btw may i ask what resolution are you working on?
I'm also working on a 1280x800 resolution.

BTW, your gui works and looks very good. I'll steal your centered (x,y) position values of some of the gui buttons, if you don't mind, to save some time. I have decided to use a full 1280x800 screen for most of the menus since they were fullscreen in the original and in order to avoid the flickering problems. I have somewhat edited the journal bestiary screen in order to bypass the problem with the unmovable image , but it's not that a great solution. I'm also fiddling with the banter box and I've made the text area bigger.

Any ideas as to how to increase the text size?

ghostdog said:
Any ideas as to how to increase the text size?
Resizing all the letters in FONTDLG.BAM should work. I tried to resize some letters some time ago. It works, but the letters are just too small and don't look good if enlarged. Perhaps creating a new font by importing new letter images would be better, but that's a lot of boring work. It has been done before for Icewind Dale IIRC.

edit: No, it's for Baldur's Gate 2:

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?show ... ntry380469

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How can you even play the game when everything looks so tiny (relative to the original)?

User was nabbed fit

Jasede said:
How can you even play the game when everything looks so tiny (relative to the original)?

Invest in a big screen. :wink:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hate big screens. This 1280x1024 monitor was the worst investment ever. You have to sit like half a room away to actually see the whole screen. My old 320x240 games looked much better on my 13" monitor from days of yore, and I'd gladly trade this TFT for a 13" old big one.

Jasede said:
Come on, 1024x768 on a 17'' TFT is perfectly readable. Torment looks better at a resolution higher than 640x480. Much better. Perhaps 1600x1200 would be too much, but a middle ground is perfectly fine.
I hate big screens. This 1280x1024 monitor was the worst investment ever. You have to sit like half a room away to actually see the whole screen.
It looks like you just aren't used to larger monitors. How close did you sit to your old CRT? I sit half a metre away from my 17'' and it's comfortalble.
My old 320x240 games looked much better on my 13" monitor from days of yore, and I'd gladly trade this TFT for a 13" old big one.
Of course they looked better on your 13'', they were designed for that kind of screen.

Please avoid posting this kind of comments here. It looks as if you're accusing us of spoiling the game. We're not acting like graphics whores. I like you as a poster, but please, when you're in a rant-against-modern-times mood, just create a new thread.

Version 0.2 is out. Check the first post for the features.

This new version has 2 install options. Option 2 edits torment.exe, so there might be problems with the 2CD version of Torment. I need someone to test option 2 with the 2CD version.

edit:
@ghostdog & taplonaplo: WeiDU CAN edit torment.exe, and it looks like it's not very difficult. We just need to know what to modify, and WeiDU will do it for us.

taplonaplo

Scholar
i knew it could;)... the widescreen mod itself does so hehe. Besides, I got weak-ling's changes work by editing one of the bigg's config files so when it installs it'd set some more offsets for me.

EDIT: i took a look at the exe with a hex editopr...and found the y coordinate of cinematics...however there was nothing similar nearby that could be the x coordinate

taplonaplo

Scholar
Got some news with the exe
The good news is:

The bad news is that it "only" seem to solve the problem with the journal (no mapnote, loadingscreen).
Anyway the offsets should be 0x232fc0 for X and 0x232fc7 for Y
Note that it only allows them to show up there... you actually have to resize the image to get it right.

That's great! How exactly do you search through torment.exe to find the right offsets? I tried looking for occurrences of "640" and "480", but there's too many of them and I don't know what they control.
Also, resizing all the images for the bestiary is a long work... it would be better if we knew the offset that controls their position.

taplonaplo

Scholar
yep, but with some macros it really doesnt take that long...tho if i knew some proper scripting, or EXTEND_MOS would work on bmps aswell it should be possible to do it client side...(as the bigg seem to do bmp patching with weidu to avoid crash on too small areas but i don't understand most of the stuff that the script does...). Size is actually more of an issue rightnow.
as for the exe...what can i say...trial and error>.< if a 640 and 480 are close to eachother, it could be that they control something so i modify the exe and test, time consuming, but it's still better than waiting for some1 else to do so...

EDIT: found some new offsets...the mos drawbox for editboxes:)...

Sliders seems to be unaffacted tho...
The offsets are: 0xffd8e for X, and ffd98 for Y
EDIT2: i finished my first round with the exe for 640x480. Problems with editboxes. sliders, map notes and journal pic display dimensions are fixed.
However, i found nothing about loading screen, dialogue/spell centering, game object tooltips. if you can give me the orignal coordinates and what needs to be fixed, i'll try to fix it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
How about the movies? I converted one .mve movie to .avi and then resized it to a 1280 resolution , but it's not possible to convert it back to .mve since it won't accept anything bigger than 640. Could there be a way play the movies ingame with an xvid codec?

@taplonaplo: amazing! Can you post all the offsets? (Or is it only 0xffd8e for X and ffd98 for Y also for sliders, notes etc.?)

@ghostdod: the version of System Shock 2 they have at Underdogs has all the movies re-encoded in Divx. And SS2 is a 1999 game. So perhaps yes, it's possible.

taplonaplo

Scholar
http://rapidshare.com/files/137501914/offset.txt.html
It contains all the other 640x480 pairs, many of them doesnt seem to do anything.

You can change the cinematics dimensions, so if you can get around resizing it, it should be no problem...until then you can center it wich looks a bit better imo.

The reamaining problems, that can be fixed (IMO) are loadingscreens (i have no idea how the game can display it at all without a chu file, and apparently no 640 in the exe manipulates it (maybe one that crashes the game...but its not really an option:D), and dialogue/spell centering (these probably need some offset manipulation...but i have no idea what are the required coordinates to search for.)

Modified journal pics are a bit hefty...91MBs for 1280x800 (21MB or so zipped). But for now they do the trick. Oh and game object tooltips appear in the middle of the screen by default i think

Great work. Thanks!

edit:
taplonaplo said:
dialogue/spell centering (these probably need some offset manipulation...but i have no idea what are the required coordinates to search for.)
There's a few x=320, y=? couples. This evening I'm going to try changing some of them.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jasede said:
I hate big screens. This 1280x1024 monitor was the worst investment ever. You have to sit like half a room away to actually see the whole screen. My old 320x240 games looked much better on my 13" monitor from days of yore, and I'd gladly trade this TFT for a 13" old big one.
I have a 1440*900 monitor, and I don't have problems seeing the whole screen. :?

I love large monitors. They greatly change the experience. Such as when you are playing a shooter, the gun looks large enough to be lifesized, and enemies really look like they are in front of you. And in strategy games, you get a good large view of the map, which is quite convenient.

As for 320*240 games, windowed mode. Problem solved.

taplonaplo

Scholar
In the bigg's file (in which the offsets are) there are no 320 or 240 and normal centering works, so i assume the game calculates the center itself, so theres no real point in looking for 320x.
EDIT: x=0x2d65b8 y=0x2d65c2 some kind of spell display window, , while the effect won't be seen until lvl 8-9spells,it screws some, and make some look better

taplonaplo

Scholar
interesting, if i talk to the shopper when he an NO are at the very right side of the screen, the camera doesn't pan but jumps there...causing flicker less frequently than normally

EDIT: Hmm, as a temporary solution maybe we can insert to the merchants dialog something like a MoveViewObject(Myself,INSTANT) and a SmallWait(3) before the StartStore. It sets back the camera to the player, so the area won't flicker when the store opens...But it takes rather long to edit all the dialog manually=/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom