Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Outcast 2 - A New Beginning

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Brofist x 8
    • WTF am I reading x 5
    • incline x 4
    • decline x 3
    • Excited! x 3
    • Fishy x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    :what:

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Murk Arcane

Murk
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    • Fishy Fishy x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Searching (lazily) around more, it looks like they were merged with THQ Nordic -- name change may have happened then?

The website ( https://www.appeal-studios.com/ ) is just a flyer saying this.

I retract some of my previous snark, but given the original was in 99 and the modern day studio has only the remake to praise, I'm not sure what to think.

It's been nearly 17 years since I touched Outcast but have fond memories of it from my teenage years. Who knows, maybe it'll be fine. Unlikely though :(

^ Top  
  6. toro Arcane

toro
    Outcast 2 is the poor man's Avatar :|

Edit: They also fucked up the character of Cutter Slade.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    I'm really happy that they're targeting current gen spec sheet as a baseline for development instead of being held back by those netbooks masquerading as consoles from last time. Looks pretty damn good for what I assume is a budget title. If a sequel to this happened any sooner it would've been held back by crappy hardware.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    Agreed. He was pure cringe in that trailer.

^ Top  
  9. Terenty Arbiter

Terenty
    Wtf is this avatar shit. No voxel no buy

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Awesome news!

While the remake wasn't great, it was fairly competent and decent. So, I am cautously optimistic.

^ Top  
  11. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Never played the remake, but love the original. Is the remake worth a buy?

• Yes Yes x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    If you feel like replaying the game, except in a much prettier and smoother form, then absolutely. They made it extremely faithfully and I'd say it's the superior version.

Very excited about this announcement. Came out of nowhere for me. I didn't imagine Appeal would get the support to make the sequel like I knew they wanted to do, because of how poorly the remaster seemed to do. I think they'll do an awesome job with it and I am looking forward to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Outcast 2 could have been revolutionary if they released it 20 years ago. But now it's just another Avatar.

Kinda hoped they'd revive that Totems project that got canceled. At least that had originality.

• NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    It's pretty much the original running on a different engine, with new assets. The game as game is much the same down to Outcast's trademark slow projectiles. And it is pretty to look at and is faithful to the original aesthetics save for one are that lost a bit of its specific autumnal look and atmosphere.
    I'd say that the original has its peculiar "aura" for its uniqueness at the time, its weird semi-voxely visuals, but this has nothing to do with the functionality.

I do wonder what someone playing the remake/remaster for the first time today would make of it. For in many ways, Outcast is an anticipation of modern open world game. For better or worse. Which is why I'm not too excited for the sequel for it may actually be faithful to the original or the old planned sequel and yet turn out to be something very familiar and mundane, something akin to another Ubisoft-style open world game made on significantly smaller budget.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. MasPingon Arcane

MasPingon
    No, remake is definitely not prettier nor smoother, play Outcast 1.1 instead. Remake loose a charm of original voxel world, it feels clunky for a modern game and the world of Adelpha doen't give you this wow effect no more . It feels like Unity Engine game it is.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Avonaeon Arcane Developer

Avonaeon
    If there's one good thing to say about it, it's that they actually stuck a "2" at the end of the name, instead of a "The" in front.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Chockolate Eye Literate

Chockolate Eye
    Recently I've tried 1.1, dunno if I'll play it for a longer time but damn the soundtrack :shredder:

and it's done by a random programmer

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Ludwig von Eisenthal Augur

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    I love the original but I really don't like the remake. Looks like plastic, feels like a cheap Unity game, Cutter Slade looks like an even cheaper copy of that smart guy from Unchartered (instead of the grumpy old veteran he is), and the Twon-Ha... the funniest part was to ride this wonky beast and be able to climb every height ny jumping. Who the hell thought it to be a good idea to cut the Twon-Ha's jumping ability in the remake?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ludwig von Eisenthal Augur

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Yeah, that was the worst part of the otherwise rather interesting trailer. The guy looks and acts like an utter moron.
    But I do have to admit I didn't know talan women could become dolotai. In the original game there was a rather strict and rigid social and sexual order after all. Did the liberals take over Adelpha after Fae-Rhan was defeated? Anyway, the landscapes look great.

^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • incline incline x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.