Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast - A New Beginning - sequel from original devs and THQ Nordic

For 20 bucks maybe I'd get it just to see what this is all about, but the price tag on this game is ridiculous. In addition 7/10 is a bad omen as you can suspect they gave at least 2-3 points just for nostalgia. So realistically I'd expect a 5/10.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/outcast_2_a_new_beginning?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1013140/view/6650200081098316026

Vienna, Austria / Charleroi, Belgium - March 15, 2024: Two decades after the groundbreaking release of Outcast, the beloved action-adventure franchise returns with Outcast - A New Beginning, releasing today! Players once again dive into the mesmerizing, interconnected alien world of Adelpha. The game will be available for PlayStation®5, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.

Developed by the original team behind the first instalment, Outcast - A New Beginning offers a thrilling continuation of Cutter Slade's journey as he battles against invading forces to save the planet from devastation.

Set against the backdrop of a stunning open-world environment, players navigate through Adelpha's diverse landscapes, utilizing Cutter's jetpack and Talan powers to soar through the skies, explore a beautiful planet, and confront dangerous creatures along the way.

With Outcast - A New Beginning, the team aimed to deliver an immersive experience that honours the legacy of the original game while introducing new elements that resonate with modern standards. Players can expect a captivating narrative, dynamic gameplay mechanics, and a meticulously crafted world that invites you on an unforgettable adventure.

Outcast - A New Beginning, developed by Appeal Studios in Charleroi, Belgium and published by THQ Nordic, is available now. The game is available for PC at an SRP of € 59.99 / $ 59.99 / £ 49.99, and PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series at an SRP of € 69.99 / $ 69.99 / £ 59.99.

Visit the website for more information: https://outcastthegame.com and join our community on the Discord server: https://discord.gg/outcastgame.
Enjoy & stay tuned!

Stokowski

Arcane
Oh well, it can't be worse than Elex.

:martini:

31VTvxx.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Wow is it actually decent game?

Considering the moaning in this thread, it looks like they just made decent trailer.

Now the question is: Is it better than ME4 or worse?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played today for a few hours. Graphics are great, from the jungle through the mountains to the desert to which you can travel at any time, they are all pretty to look at.

The game is more story-focused than the first one. In "A New Beginning" there's many more cutscenes, often you pew pew a bit, watch cutscene, pew pew a bit, then watch another cutscene and so on, though it of course depends how much you follow the story and how much you choose to just wander off to look around. The focus on the story and cutscenes doesn't mean the story is good though. It's essentially Avatar copy-paste with human-like aliens (which are kinda red, instead of blue) being killed by humans from a military corporation who do it because they want to conquer the planet and exploit it by murdering and enslaving everything and everyone because that's what military corporations do. Fortunately, the main character appears and it has been in prophecy of the natives that he is going to save them. Pew pewing isn't much better, shooting in the first game wasn't great but it was fine enough, here it's just inconvenient and unsatisfying, after a while I started to avoid combat and just run to objectives. Quests are "go there and free that person, pick up that item and bring it, talk to that NPC" and without any interesting backstories or variety. Overall, this is a game that looks pretty but plays crap.

Terenty

Liturgist
Was the game made by the same key people behind the first one? That Avatar story was obvious from the first trailer, are they that creatively bankrupt?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
index.php Konjad Infinitron

Are you all retarded?

I've completed the quest for the floating worm and I cannot take it anymore. The game is boring af. There is no challenge.

The entire experience it's an absolute waste of time. Even the story is retarded.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Your review is accurate but for some reason you rated me "citation needed".

I don't get it.
lol, triggered by a rating. Anyway, all you've written about the game was
It's a piece of shit.

The best thing about the game is the handcrafted world. Everything else is garbage. It's on par with ELEX 2.

Which doesn't really describe it much, so 'citation needed' because I wanted more info, however, I decided to give it a try myself in the meantime. Especially since I actually enjoyed ELEX2 for what it was, but its exploration and quests were much better than in Outcast 2.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I posted the same review on Steam.

The original Outcast released in 1999 was a ground breaking experience: one of the first open-world games, voxel-based engine (with water ripple simulation), systems based gameplay, good world design, upgradeable weapons, advanced combat AI, a good story and superb music. At the same time the game was not perfect: combat was janky, platforming puzzles were atrocious, some fedex quests were crap, voice acting was terrible. However, the game managed to pull off one of the rarest achievements in gaming: an alien living world which was a joy to explore. Every aspect of the game was designed to enhance immersion: Talans could talk between them, move around, give directions, smoke some weed or do push-ups when bored. The game was simply ahead of its time and all the bad things could ultimately be ignored because the good aspects were overwhelming.

Now, 25 years later, we have Outcast: A New Beginning, a reboot of the Outcast "franchise" which doesn't bring anything new to the table. The world design is great and probably the best thing about the game. It's nice to be able to explore a handcrafted world, to swim, and to find secrets. However, it's designed for jetpack traversing; therefore the topography and the roads don't make any sense. You are forced to use the jetpack. Combat mechanics are outdated and there is no challenge because most enemies have no AI. Even outside combat, Talans move in random patterns without a purpose. You are no longer able to ask them for directions. You cannot ride a Twon-Ha. Most quests/jetpack puzzles are boring. Herd 11 sheeps!? Why not 12? Or 20? Why exactly 11 sheeps? The story has no pacing. Most of the dialogue is filled with alien terminology. The immersion is constantly interrupted by humorless cutscenes. The game is simply bloated with trash content intended to hide the fact that the world is actually empty. The world is no longer living therefore the overall experience is simply shallow.

Bottom line: This game is a huge time sink without any real payoff. The content is so bland that after playing for several hours I felt drained of any energy required to write a review. All the novelty is gone after the first few hours and there is no point in playing the same thing for longer.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Lol I saw this and my first thoughts exactly were "But what does it bring to the table?"

I'm right about games just from seeing the title. :smug:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I posted the same review on Steam.

The original Outcast released in 1999 was a ground breaking experience: one of the first open-world games, voxel-based engine (with water ripple simulation), systems based gameplay, good world design, upgradeable weapons, advanced combat AI, a good story and superb music. At the same time the game was not perfect: combat was janky, platforming puzzles were atrocious, some fedex quests were crap, voice acting was terrible. However, the game managed to pull off one of the rarest achievements in gaming: an alien living world which was a joy to explore. Every aspect of the game was designed to enhance immersion: Talans could talk between them, move around, give directions, smoke some weed or do push-ups when bored. The game was simply ahead of its time and all the bad things could ultimately be ignored because the good aspects were overwhelming.

Now, 25 years later, we have Outcast: A New Beginning, a reboot of the Outcast "franchise" which doesn't bring anything new to the table. The world design is great and probably the best thing about the game. It's nice to be able to explore a handcrafted world, to swim, and to find secrets. However, it's designed for jetpack traversing; therefore the topography and the roads don't make any sense. You are forced to use the jetpack. Combat mechanics are outdated and there is no challenge because most enemies have no AI. Even outside combat, Talans move in random patterns without a purpose. You are no longer able to ask them for directions. You cannot ride a Twon-Ha. Most quests/jetpack puzzles are boring. Herd 11 sheeps!? Why not 12? Or 20? Why exactly 11 sheeps? The story has no pacing. Most of the dialogue is filled with alien terminology. The immersion is constantly interrupted by humorless cutscenes. The game is simply bloated with trash content intended to hide the fact that the world is actually empty. The world is no longer living therefore the overall experience is simply shallow.

Bottom line: This game is a huge time sink without any real payoff. The content is so bland that after playing for several hours I felt drained of any energy required to write a review. All the novelty is gone after the first few hours and there is no point in playing the same thing for longer.
Well they are commercial Austrian company that reinstated some old IP rights to earn money.
You were not supposed to remember 25 years old previous game.

ZACKIE

Novice
The original is extremely charming even to this day, great atmosphere and world design, going through the 1st one right now on my PS and i'm loving the well done cinematic soundtrack that doesn't sound nothing like the modern marvel generic crap that permeates most AAA releases nowadays.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
What they should've remade/made a sequel to was Albion. If you gonna do spaceman lost on fantasy scifi world, do Albion, not janky generic third person adventure shooter thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom