Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast - A New Beginning - sequel from original devs and THQ Nordic

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Appeal Studio is the studio which created the original game ... and the 3 founders are still there: Yves Grolet, Franck Sauer and Yann Robert.

I got a small hope it's not shit.

Codex Year of the Donut
is rpg?
snapshot.jpg

fourth button over looks like an icon for talents to me, maybe?

ADL

Prophet
This looks better than expected. Can't say anything bad about the THQ Nordic showcase other than where the fuck is KCD2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My only gripe with the game so far is that they made the aliens human looking. Why? They were more interesteing in the originals where they looked and TALKED alien.

Codex Year of the Donut
and TALKED alien.
It's somewhat believable that at least the elites may in fact have adopted his language. It's not exactly uncommon throughout history.

Also, do we know how much time has passed? It may be different between the worlds?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
My only gripe with the game so far is that they made the aliens human looking. Why? They were more interesteing in the originals where they looked and TALKED alien.
Somewhat down-alienated on the scale of humans to aliens, true, but not that human looking either.. Typically elongated skull, three fingers, etc.
2.jpg

Game doesn't look too bad either.
1.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.thqnordic.com/article/t...-he-goes-check-out-latest-trailer-outcast-new

Charleroi, Belgium / Vienna, Austria, August 11th, 2023: The latest trailer for Outcast - A New Beginning takes you on a fantastic journey with the UlukaĂŻ - the name given to our hero, Cutter Slade, by the Talans, the natives of Adelpha. He is the chosen one destined to reunite the people of Adelpha and liberate it from the invaders! Discover how all living things on Adelpha coexist in harmony and learn how to forge alliances or gain powerful abilities.

In addition to its thrilling action sequences, Outcast - A New Beginning features a strategic dimension. Cutter shoulders the responsibility of reuniting and cultivating the Talan settlements, a crucial step in forging a formidable resistance. He must meticulously strategize the timing and locations of counterattacks against the invaders, crippling their supply lines, and dealing decisive blows to weaken their forces.

Check out the Welcome to Adelpha Trailer: https://youtu.be/jX8uTzA-USg
Wishlist Outcast - A New Beginning on Steam: https://thqn.net/oanb-steam

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/outcast-a-new-beginning-wants-to-be-a-caring-open-world-shooter

Outcast: A New Beginning wants to be a caring open world shooter​

Previously known as Outcast 2: A New Beginning

THQ Nordic and Appeal Studios have semi-re-announced Outcast 2: A New Beginning as plain old Outcast: A New Beginning, having sensibly decided that positioning it as a sequel to a 24-year-old game might turn younger audiences away. In a pre-reveal showcase attended by RPS, producer Andreas Schmiedecker walked us through a few sections of this atypically green-fingered open world shooter.

In Outcast: ANB you play a growly-gruff ex-Navy SEAL, the sleekly named Cutter Slade, who roves a planet called Adelpha using a fancy jetpack. You're here to help the indigenous Talans - who definitely hail from the Ewoky end of the ethnic representation scale - fight off an army of robot invaders. The jetpack is the initial star attraction: it lets you boost, glide and dash through colourful landscapes inspired by 80s and 90s movies and comics. The associated animations seem a bit wooden to me: I often felt like I was watching somebody steer a man-shaped cursor, rather than a body in flight. But I certainly can't argue with the verticality and agility on display.

Slade gets a fancy transforming gun with modules including sniper scopes, shotgun muzzles and rapid-fire functionality. But his greatest weapons could be those afforded him by Adelpha itself: care for its creatures and plantlife by, say, locating an appropriate food source for some squelchy-looking dragon, and you'll both rejuvenate the Talan villages you come across and gain access to special powers, such as summoning a flock of exploding kamikaze birds. You can also ride larger creatures into battle, including flying leviathans. There's an ecosystem screen with branching nodes to illustrate the relationships between Adelpha's flora and fauna.

Outcast: A New Beginning's Cutter Slade approaching a pretty wind temple.A ruined temple in Outcast: A New BeginningA sand bridge beneath an imposing cliffisde structure in Outcast: A New BeginningA village in the forests in Outcast: A New Beginning

All of which reflects a desire to cultivate some empathy between player and open world, rather than the usual imperial process of extraction and conquest. As with Ubisoft's Avatar: Frontiers Of Pandora, I'm not wholly convinced by all this: I think the open world genre is unavoidably conquest-driven, more so than can be addressed by stirring in a touch of gardening sim, and in any case, Slade's paternalistic caretaker stance towards the natives seems very "white saviour complex" to me (producer Aaron Schmiedecker described the game's world-building as "a mixture of Indiana Jones and Stargate"). But there are some interesting wrinkles.

Amongst other things, Slade starts off with no knowledge of the Talan language - the more time you spend tending to the world, the more conversant you'll become with the locals, and the more lore you'll get access to. Other, less consequential distractions include lost altars that harbour power-ups, accessed by completing simple platforming challenges such as following an orb of light.

The game will be singleplayer only, clocks in at around 35 hours long, and is close to beta, though we don't have a release date yet. Come now, see for yourself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.thqnordic.com/article/i...ning-outcast-reveals-new-combat-trailer-today

Vienna, Austria / Charleroi, Belgium - November 16, 2023: Today, Outcast - A New Beginning, reveals an exciting new combat trailer, showcasing the dynamic and strategic elements that await you in this immersive gaming experience. Modify your weapons on the fly, harness powerful gadgets and ancient abilities, and tame the local wildlife to drive back the invaders! To catch a glimpse of the thrilling third person combat action, watch the new trailer here: https://youtu.be/qUbr1ejN47Y
  • Modular Gun
    Throughout the game, you’ll find more than 30 different weapon modules that change the behaviour of your gun. Combine modules to try different combat styles! With 24 different modules (8 are doubled) and up to 6 weapon slots, the number of combinations is massive. Spoiler: it's over 9000! If we consider all possible options, we’re talking 906.192 combinations - feel free to do the math.
  • Shield
    Use your shield to defend yourself - or to attack! It works both as an offensive and defensive weapon.
  • Jetpack
    Your jetpack allows you to travel quickly but also aids in combat. Upgrade it as you progress through the game!
  • Talan Powers
    You'll acquire helpful abilities by finishing a village quest – like anti-gravity powers or flying creatures dropping bombs on enemies. Those powers are a part of the natural ecosystem of Adelpha. But keep in mind: The better the job you did in helping those villages, the stronger your powers will be.
Outcast - A New Beginning / Overview
Weapon upgrades, aliens and monsters (who can also be predators) - you will find all of this in Appeal Studio's and THQ Nordic's upcoming open world action-adventure Outcast - A New Beginning! Play as Cutter Slade, ex-Navy SEAL, and gain the trust of the local Talans. Engage in guerilla warfare such as destroying enemy ammo convoys to weaken bases and freely choosing where to launch the next attack, shaping the success of the Talan uprising.

The stakes are high, though, Cutter Slade brings dry humor to the forefront, adding a touch of wit to the intense storyline. Rediscover the awe-inspiring game world reminiscent of the beloved Outcast 1, while offering something totally fresh and accessible for newcomers. Every corner is brimming with wonders and surprises!

Bah, what a hollywoodized trailer. Why does almost every single trailer nowadays take this kind of presentation and thinks it's cool, funky and whatnot? Outcast wasn't devoid of humor but it had a serious undertone I really liked, made me think. I know one should not judge something from its trailer but this guy doesn't seem like the dry humored antihero of the original game. Looks and feels more like a typical fun shooter in an untypical setting and the protagonist like a guy just having fun shooting silly aliens and making Serious Sam-like jokes about it. Anyway, let's wait and observe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Coming March 15th: https://www.thqnordic.com/article/yods-have-spoken-outcast-new-beginning-releases-march-2024
Vienna, Austria / Charleroi, Belgium - December 4, 2023: The time for a new beginning has come! Literally: Outcast - A New Beginning now has an official release date: March 15th, 2024! Get ready to immerse yourself in the captivating alien realm of Adelpha, uncover its mysteries, and enjoy the galaxy's wittiest dad jokes, skillfully delivered by our hero, Cutter Slade. Outcast offers a slightly self-ironic yet wholesome take on sci-fi themes and tropes, injecting a sense of fun into a planetary-wide uprising against ruthless robotic invaders.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Combat is off, animations are stiff, main character voice is cringe but it looks better than ELEX 2. Way better.

I will probably play this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom