Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast: Second Contact - Outcast remake

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Handheld teleporters? Teleporter beacons? F-links? Whatever you call them.

These things at the bottom of the inventory screen.
outcast_5.jpg

v1rus

Arcane
Handheld teleporters? Teleporter beacons? F-links? Whatever you call them.

These things at the bottom of the inventory screen.
outcast_5.jpg

Right on time. Been meaning to ask, what are those things, and how the hell to use them?

That aside, any place listing all side quests?

Nevill

Arcane
That aside, any place listing all side quests?
GameFAQs? Steam guides?

Been meaning to ask, what are those things, and how the hell to use them?
Yeah, items are somewhat underused. You never really need them, so they rot at the back of the backpack as you forget you have them at all.

The combat in this game is relatively easy, and it only gets easier as you complete quests that drop soldier morale, sabotage their weapons, and starve them out. I didn't have need for half the arsenal. But if anything, late-game weapons allow to get to the non-combat parts faster.

Given that, you probably shouldn't give in to the hoarding instinct too much at the beginning stages of the game, seeing how they are also the hardest. Try to use the invisibility device and the decoy right off the bat, too. Protip: you can't use weapons while invisible, but you can use dynamite. :D

Though I had fun trying to ironman the game. Getting to Zorkatraz and/or killing the gorgor tend to give me quite an adrenaline rush. Used to go straight to Okasankaar to get those parts out of the way, because a single mistake would end the run, and I can't for the life of me stay under the boat. Come to think of it, I should check if Invis works underwater... maybe next playthrough.

A lot of players find themselves in this situation before their last moments on the gorgor island, but not a lot of them know that this isn't the end and you can still shoot your way out.
maxresdefault.jpg

The only reliable way out of gorgor's mouth I found is to drop a dynamite at its feet and remote-detonate it point-blank (ouch!), then activate the Invis and run like hell. There are places on the island it can't get to.
Shooting at it to force the jaw open is an option, but you have mere seconds before it swallows you, and you might find it tricky to deal the damage fast enough.

Compared to that, the final boss encounter you can solve with a single flamethrower salvo is downright underwhelming. :timetoburn:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Only 80% of sidequests there
Really? It's been a while since I played, but I didn't find anything missing on first glance. Where is the information about 80% coming from? What isn't on the list?
Maybe they added some quests that weren't in original...
And, I sitll dont know how to use F-links
You select them (Cutter takes them in his right hand), then drop the beacon on the ground via left-click. You will keep the recall button. Next time you want to teleport, select the recall button corresponding to the device, and use it via left-click. You will be teleported to the beacon, and pick it up. In Shamazaar, drop one in front of Shamaz Zeb's house, the other in front of Shamaz Mazum's temple, and you will cut the time spent on the world in half. When heading out to other worlds, drop one in front of the portal, and do a quick recall between the devices you left all over the place.

It is a fast travel system that actually makes sense. It only works within a given world, and it is invaluable if you want to do quests for Talanzaar merchants because you can only ask Talans for directions so many times before you whip out an RPG and start looking for important NPCs via elimination method.

v1rus

Arcane
Only 80% of sidequests there
Really? It's been a while since I played, but I didn't find anything missing on first glance. Where is the information about 80% coming from? What isn't on the list?
Maybe they added some quests that weren't in original...
And, I sitll dont know how to use F-links
You select them (Cutter takes them in his right hand), then drop the beacon on the ground via left-click. You will keep the recall button. Next time you want to teleport, select the recall button corresponding to the device, and use it via left-click. You will be teleported to the beacon, and pick it up. In Shamazaar, drop one in front of Shamaz Zeb's house, the other in front of Shamaz Mazum's temple, and you will cut the time spent on the world in half. When heading out to other worlds, drop one in front of the portal, and do a quick recall between the devices you left all over the place.

It is a fast travel system that actually makes sense. It only works within a given world, and it is invaluable if you want to do quests for Talanzaar merchants because you can only ask Talans for directions so many times before you whip out an RPG and start looking for important NPCs via elimination method.

GameFAQ - "
1.0 (9/27/99): Full walkthrough complete. Main Quests: 100%, Bonus
Quests: 83%"

And ty for V link guides. Already got all at Shamazaar, but no doubt they are gonna be useful in Talanzaar.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Men, I just bought the 1.1 version on gog a while back.

First time I'm playing it past the stealth trial.
Goddamn, this game, should've gotten it earlier. :negative:

v1rus

Arcane
Loving the game.

But, for the life of me, I cant find that fucking relic outside the walls of the city. Ah yes, the good old rule of life. As soon as i posted this, i alt-tabbed back to the game, ran for exactly 3 secs, and whaddya know ,there it is.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They rolled out a second update.

Outcast: Second Contact Patch 2 Release Notes:

Critical Fixes:
  • Fixed multiple crashes while shooting or travelling through Daokas.
  • Fixed several memory leaks possibly impacting stability and performance.
  • Fixed various pathfinding issues and stuck characters.
Gameplay Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where Naarn would be missing (also fixed in existing saved games).
  • Fixed an issue where Illot would refuse to talk after being healed and where Shamaaz became stuck trying to heal Illot (also fixed in existing saved games).
  • Fixed an issue where Sadar would not propose to go back to Oru’s Island as intended.
  • Fixed a pathfinding issue which would cause Zoran to become stuck.
  • Fixed an issue where Zine would not go to the crusher.
  • Fixed an issue where Zidar’s friend would not talk when intended.
  • Fixed an issue with Shadi, whom would not play the tune or give back the map as intended.
  • Fixed an issue which would sometimes cause Kuryan to be missing.
  • Fixed an issue where Egar was stuck in water.
  • Fixed an issue where Zidar’s boat would not return to the dock as intended.
Features/Improvements:
  • Players can now return to Zorkatraz.
  • Added support for multiple auto-saved slots (when slots are available).
  • Added F-Link telepod visualization in full screen map.
  • Added an option to disable Talan word definitions.
  • Added an option to disable dodge rolls.
  • Added a help screen displaying control mapping.

v1rus

Arcane
Fuck this. Been trying to find the house where Marion is kept for 2 hours now.

v1rus

Arcane
I guess you found Marion :)

Yeah, found some LP, and skipped it till I found that part. Was running around that house for hours.

I thought I need to find sum moar mons and stuff till I'm able to find her, realized I'm wrong once I got second mon. Also, since im a completionist sicko, I did all side stuff first - thus, once I actually got Marion i was only missing 3 mons, which was like 3 more hours of gameplay. 100% Main quest, 100% bonus quest, fyeah.

Really interesting game. You can see it had tons of influence on Gothic.

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
Unless you shelve out plenty of dorritosheckels or get lucky and your game gets involved in some internetz drama luke Cuphead, it's pretty hard for a medium sized game to get any buzz.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
No, they fucked up this.

They sell the game for full price, and since people learned that it was basically just a remaster of the ancient sourcecode they waited for sales. And they have been on the fence since then because the game still costs 35$.

They should have gone on the 15-20$ option instead, and it may have worked much better.

Rev

Arcane
Not even 10k units sold on Steam...
WTF? I never expected it to sell much, but so few? Even complete no names with with shit graphics sell better than that.
At least, I think the GOG audience is a bit more knowleadgeable about the game (since Outcast has always been in the catalog) and it may sells decently there.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am playing this and it is really fucking good. I always wanted to play Outcast, bought it several times but never got around to it, that weird ass graphics and horrible running animation just turned me off. Remake fixes both and lets the cool design and atmosphere shine. It really shows how much of a leap this game was for its time.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not often that I play a game and I get a sense of wonder. Outcast, even the old one, really has that. The sort of thing games are missing these days, replacing that sense of wonder with cheap "epic" shit.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Seriously, the score is amazing and creates 95% of the atmosphere.

Of course, it helps that the game is basically Stargate SG1 adaptation starring Jack O'Neill errrm I mean Cutter Slade.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I tried it out and deleted it fast,the original was better from what i remember. They didn't fixed the more important things,it controlled like shit on ice.

Deathsquid

Learned
Wow, I didn't even know this came out, Steam's discovery queue seems to be permanently clogged with irrelevant unrelated shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom