Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Outer Wilds - outer space camping trip game

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by barker_s, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    ^ Top  
  2. pakoito Arcane Patron

pakoito
    I played through what I expect to be most of it yesterday and it's good. Much smaller in scope than the game, just a tasty treat after the main course.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I saw some negative steam reviews that say a large part of the dlc is more of a horror/ stumbling around in the dark simulator than anything in the main game. Can you confirm? Because that sounds pretty bad, but it could just be steam reviewers being idiots.

^ Top  
  4. pakoito Arcane Patron

pakoito
    Can confirm idiots. There are a handful of light-based puzzles and that's about it.

"Horror" is just a couple of :prosper: moments, all packed at the beginning.

EDIT: there are 2 stealth sections on maps you have visited before. And due to some new mechanic they're less punishing than the motherfucking Anglefish.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    ^ Top  
  5. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Liked the DLC just as much. Extremely good game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    the DLC is fantastic so far. the usual goodness condensed into 1 location, I just learned how to use the torch and reveal
    Show Spoiler
    you can explore the memories and the stranger's homeworld

^ Top  
  7. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So I played the dlc for like 2 hours.

It's so fucking beautiful. I had no idea how much I've wanted to play this ever since I read
    Show Spoiler
    Encounter with Rama.

:salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    So I think I beat the dlc
    Show Spoiler
    I faced what lies inside the sealed sarcophogus, but then I just wound up walking around with no idea what to do except reset the loop. I expected some kind of ship log update or achievement, so I am not sure if I just missed something. I did see the vision stick that appears on the beach afterwards.

But it is slightly hard to tell.

Overall great dlc. I think it clocked about 9 hours for me, whereas the base game was around 12, so it really is a hefty bit of content for the price. The design of the new world was the highlight for me and the stealth sections were the only part I didn't like. Stumbling around in pure darkness with no sound or any kind of feedback if I'm moving forward or grinding against a wall is not a good gameplay mechanic*, even if it is very atmospheric. Was also very glad to see that the dlc dodged the biggest weakness of the base game (the writing). I would have preferred more flying with the ship, a more definite ending and less low light areas (I often felt like the flashlight would provide almost no light even with the wall 2m away). But these are basically nitpicks in an extremely solid expansion. You'd have to have some very specific hatreds/phobias to dislike the dlc if you liked the base game.

pakoito complained about anglerfish earlier, and I much prefer those because anglerfish move slower than your ship once you've picked up speed, which means you can play high speed 3d racing with them if you dislike the stealth. There's no such alternative to the stealth sections in the dlc.

^ Top  
  9. pakoito Arcane Patron

pakoito
    That's how I did the stealth sections, feint to a side then run from the other.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    ^ Top  
  10. hackncrazy Scholar

hackncrazy
    I finished the DLC and I'm really glad with what they achieved.

The fact that it is now a Myst-like puzzle game without a single word of lore (and yet with a very interesting story) shows how these devs knows their shit. Also, the fact that the game is so open ended (I think I've already seen like 10 different routes from the one I did) without making players getting stuck also shows their competence.

Just like everyone else, I disliked the stealth areas. Funnily enough, vanilla OW was terrifying to me, with places like Giant's Deep being a complete nightmare. They tried to force a bit of horror with the stealth sections even thought the DLC was creepy enough.

Yep, same book came instantly to me the instant I saw the ship. I'm even planning a reread after playing this.

Oh, and about the ending:

Show Spoiler
    It seems that indeed the vision that the prisoner leaves to you is the end of the DLC. It seems that this also triggers a different ending if you go again through the main game one (Ash Twin Project > Dark Bramble > Eye), but I had no energy to do that again so I just watched it on YT

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.