Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

soutaiseiriron

Educated
I legitimately do not understand how it was possible for them to design a FPS game with the least satisfying weapons imaginable. 90% of weapons feel on the same level as the Klobb. Everything is a bullet hose with a minute-of-angle of two football fields or a slow as a snail, low ROF projectile with a hitbox the size of Australia. The intolerable instant strafe without ANY movement acceleration or deceleration makes the ONLY viable strategy to just spam, spam, spam. Even top level players don't have stats better than an "average" top 10% player, because the mechanics are so fucking bad that they enforced a skill ceiling that's shorter than Tyler1. Anything you do is healed off in 0.3 nanoseconds because the lunatics in the Support Industrial Complex demanded it so. You just duke it out 5v5 and hope some cog stops working and then the fight is over, it all feels so completely random and abstract. The entire game is just counterpicking and fights that end at random.
They made a game with over 30 characters, yet somehow, only three of them, Hanzo, Cassidy and Zenyatta are any fun to play. I simply have no idea why I keep coming back to this. Was Overwatch 1 any better, at all?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Was Overwatch 1 any better, at all?
2016~2018 Overwatch was pure fun. It the closest to the Team Fortress style of game that started with the Quake mod back in 1996, which I played until 2007 with the release of TF2. I've recently played some TF2 and it surprisingly is still the same game from 16 years ago, albeit with fewer players and servers than in its prime.

The overwhelming amount of heroes did this game no good. Blizzard would never manage to balance it with so many options, so counterpicking became the norm. It also relies way too much on team coordination instead of individual player skill, being more like a moba than a FPS, which is terrible for anyone wanting to simply hop in and play some matches for fun, which was what TF was all about. Instead, the game became a frustrating mess where even casual play demands players to be competitive instead of playing for fun.

But what paved the way for Overwatch's death was Blizzard investing into e-sports. Everything was "balanced" towards the top 0.1% of players from the Overwatch League, which guess what, debuted in 2018. From there Blizzard only fucked the game up patch after patch and then Overwatch 2 finally killed the game for good.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
It also relies way too much on team coordination instead of individual player skill, being more like a moba than a FPS
Yeah, but that makes zero fucking sense for them to do this. MOBAs have infinite depth because of itemisation. OW2 just doesn't have that. I know Paladins tried having additional depth with their card system or whatever, but all there is to do is just time abilities with the team and play the character to at least 70% of its peak, which isn't hard with how low the skill ceiling is in OW2.

On the note of TF2, Valve did have a balance patch that was led by the competitive players with the matchmaking update. I hated it. It nerfed weapons that the competitive community banned in their rulesets... which they continued to ban post-patch. Those weapons were of zero relevance casually. It didn't change the game much, but it was still annoying.

ind33d

Educated
I legitimately do not understand how it was possible for them to design a FPS game with the least satisfying weapons imaginable. 90% of weapons feel on the same level as the Klobb. Everything is a bullet hose with a minute-of-angle of two football fields or a slow as a snail, low ROF projectile with a hitbox the size of Australia. The intolerable instant strafe without ANY movement acceleration or deceleration makes the ONLY viable strategy to just spam, spam, spam. Even top level players don't have stats better than an "average" top 10% player, because the mechanics are so fucking bad that they enforced a skill ceiling that's shorter than Tyler1. Anything you do is healed off in 0.3 nanoseconds because the lunatics in the Support Industrial Complex demanded it so. You just duke it out 5v5 and hope some cog stops working and then the fight is over, it all feels so completely random and abstract. The entire game is just counterpicking and fights that end at random.
They made a game with over 30 characters, yet somehow, only three of them, Hanzo, Cassidy and Zenyatta are any fun to play. I simply have no idea why I keep coming back to this. Was Overwatch 1 any better, at all?
overwatch was supposed to be an MMO. they designed it so the gameplay would be playable over high ping like battlegrounds in WOW. when the entire MMORPG aspect was cut, the remaining clusterfuck was shipped as a minimum viable product. there wasn't even supposed to be counterpicking because you would have had to level your hero through an entire questline before entering PVP

Calovar

Literate
Counterpicking was the whole point of the game at release. Same system as TF2. This was before role queue which whiny MOBA players begged for until they got it which killed off a good number of comps. Now it's p. much just MMO shenanigans (tank-healers-dps) in a shooter game with bad netcode.

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1701608175819166068

image.png

1694650978626967.jpg

Quatlo

Arcane
Counterpicking was the whole point of the game at release. Same system as TF2. This was before role queue which whiny MOBA players begged for until they got it which killed off a good number of comps. Now it's p. much just MMO shenanigans (tank-healers-dps) in a shooter game with bad netcode.
Counterpicking in TF2? Sure teamcomp mattered but it was matter of a case "We dont have an engie or medic" than counterpicking. All combat classes could win agains eachother if they fought at correct range and were skillful enough. There were encounters that favoured a class against another, but you didn't really need to switch classes to win unless there was a big hole in teamcomp.
I've changed my class less in TF2 (where you can for no penalty) than in Paladins (because meta balance changes, not in game) or Overshit (because muh ubers).
In Overwatch pretty much you see if you win just by the comp on its own.

t. Pyro that headshotted snipers with their own arrows.

ind33d

Educated
The ride never stops
>Venture is non-binary and uses they/them pronouns.

it's like someone started making everything gay and retarded to help ayys integrate into society but they never got to the ayy part so it's just mad scientists cutting each other's dicks off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom