Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Owlcat is still making a cinematic sci-fi third person action rpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What is *the* question is will they find a way to shove shitty minigames into the game?

Aarwolf

Learned
>Every country Owlcat moves too turns into a warzone
They are based in Nikosia now, which is the last european capital divided by wall and Cyprus itself is a warzone (albeit cold one) from 1974. They should feel just like at home, the former Nikosia airport now abandoned inside of no-mans land looks just like every piece of crap infrastructure back in Russia and Donbass.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Regardless of what I may think of "cinematic action RPGs" in general, I know that Owlcat is NOT a studio I would trust to be equipped with the skillset to make a good one.
Personally, I don't see a problem, after all, no one said that the game will be good.
Mass Effect has never had good gameplay, which does not change the fact that it managed to become popular.
If Owlcat doesn't screw things up, they've got a chance.
The biggest plus is that in action games they will not create another pointless additional mechanics that waste hours of the player's life (at least I hope so)

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I bet that it will not be based on any existing system for a simple reason they are not suitable for action rpg.
They don't have to be faithful to any rules, just as CD Projekt wasn't for Cyberpunk's.
That's why I'm 100% sure it won't be Starfinder. For action rpgs pnp rules are useless, which means you only pay for the setting.

Why would Owlcat pay for Starfinder?
It is neither popular nor even liked by most Pathfinder fans.

Warhammer makes sense because it's quite popular however, it's hard for me to imagine a game of this type in this setting.
I'll be really surprised if they don't want to attract bioware fans, which means certain elements are mandatory.
That is assuming that they have to pay anything for Starfinder. I can think of 2 scenarios in which they didn't. Remember, Paizo would like some visibility for Starfinder, it could help salvage it.
A) They sold to Owlcat rights to Pathfinder game(s) and added as "a bonus" some Starfinder.
or
B) They simply gave it away for (almost) free.

Still you are probably right. Not because of having to pay for Starfinder but because it is worthless, it wouldn't bring anything for the sales.

A game. Action - certain. With tons of bad writing - very likely. With some badly written companions/NPC (possibly half of them tranny/homo/some other letter) - probable. Also action.
Verdict: Big no thanks!

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
if you want to know one of the reasons the game industry is in the current disastrous state it's in, you're looking at it
average game is made by a cast of musical chairs developers hopping between studios every 6 months
Alternate take: "Can some people with some experience in making these games please tell us what to do?" - Owlcat

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The same god damn memory leak is present in both Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous and I can manually reproduce it 100% of the time in less than 3 minutes.

And these people want to make a game in the Unreal engine?

lycanwarrior

Scholar
The same god damn memory leak is present in both Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous and I can manually reproduce it 100% of the time in less than 3 minutes.

And these people want to make a game in the Unreal engine?
My understanding is that it is a known issue with Unity engine, but maybe someone can confirm that or not.

Rhobar121

Scholar
In the game is a bug that sometimes makes the AI stupid (more than usually) after using a healing spell.
In this situation, character tries to constantly use a healing spell, which makes it do nothing.
This bug was also in Kingsmaker and I bet it will be in Rogue Trader.

Unfortunately, Owlcat either can't or won't fix bugs from previous games.
Since they are abandoning the old engine and resources, at least this time there will be new bugs.

sosmoflux

Educated

if you want to know one of the reasons the game industry is in the current disastrous state it's in, you're looking at it
average game is made by a cast of musical chairs developers hopping between studios every 6 months
Facts

Everyone's burned out

Nobody knows what to do or what makes good games

Culture and wordly matters are depressing

You're surrounded by higher ups and owner boomers who only care about making money with as little effort as possible

Games aren't fun anymore and nobody that works in gamedev even plays games

Like Roguey said we're in an end-game state where all anyone can do is try to hire "seniors" (lmao) and hope they have a crumb of energy and passion left to give them

It's all fucked

huskarls

Scholar
RPGcodex has the hate of a scorned women from backing kickstarter trash during the 'great incline' while owlcat was making its bones. Sadly there has been no anti-thesis essay to rally behind like with POE so the opposition is forced to mutter about the trannies and the russians until they find their intellectual leader

rojay

Scholar
Sucks that some people didn't enjoy Owlcat's Pathfinder games, but it's funny that a subset of those people seem to hate the game after playing it for 1,500 hours. Present company excluded, of course.

Edgetard

Educated
RPGcodex has the hate of a scorned women from backing kickstarter trash during the 'great incline' while owlcat was making its bones. Sadly there has been no anti-thesis essay to rally behind like with POE so the opposition is forced to mutter about the trannies and the russians until they find their intellectual leader
There will never be another good isometric crpg
I will have to continue to consoom owlfag games

:0-13:

lycanwarrior

Scholar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom