Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

(PA) Why your games are made by childless, 31 year old white men

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Why your games are made by childless, 31 year old white men, and how one studio is fighting back

Guillaume Boucher-Vidal is worried about game development. He worked on quality assurance at Activision for three years, and founded the studio Nine Dots to not only create good games, but to try to fight the idea that you have to give your life to your studio if you hope to make games. The six-person team is working on the upcoming title GoD Factory: Wingmen, which I had the opportunity to check out at PAX East, and the game looks promising. I've embedded a trailer below.

The problem is that trying to create an environment where developers can take a day off here and there is harder than he assumed. The system is set up to support, reward, and expect long working hours, and Boucher-Vidal is beginning to feel the pressure that leads to unhealthy working environments.
Expectations of insanity

“Did you know if you don't claim to work 80 hours a week, potential investors will probably shun you? You don't even get the respect from some of your peers in game development who think that not working crazy hours is ‘lazy,’” he explained. “Those are the people who put pressures onto others to work more hours. The same people who will please their leads most and go up the ladder eventually, to feed this vicious cycle of immaturity. You are correct about developers being stunted teenagers. I've worked with them long enough to admit that.”

I’d like to take a step back here, because my comments about the development cycle leading to immaturity has led to some heated e-mails. Not every developer is immature, and we know that many studios are making great games. The problem is that working long hours, giving everything to the studio, and being stuck in that singular environment can impair anyone’s growth as a person, no matter the industry.

That’s only part of the issue, however. Working those hours, and being stuck in that environment is only attractive for a very short time, and Boucher-Vidal claimed that the average life-span of someone in the game industry is around 5 years. “The real problem however is not that they are immature when they get in, but that too often they get out once they reach maturity,” he said.

It’s an amazing statement. Game development becomes much less attractive once men and women get to the age where they want to get married, start a family, think the big thoughts about their life and where it’s going. We need to ditch the romantic idea that your best work is done when you’re in your 20s and willing to give everything to the project; men and women in their 30s and 40s are creatively fertile and thoughtful in a way that only comes with age and experience. That’s also the age people are less likely to be satisfied with the lifestyle of a full-time developer, and the industry chases them out.

Ironically, in starting a video game studio to fight these issues and prove that games can be made with sane schedules, Boucher-Vidal has had to put off getting married and starting a family. “Luckily, my girlfriend is incredibly supportive,” he said.
You better be young, hungry, and childless

Since developers can put pressure on themselves and each other to work long hours, is there ever even a consensus that this a problem?

“I'd say the stance of most people is that yes it sucks, yes it's a problem, but that there is nothing you can do to help it, that it's a necessary evil to make good games,” he told the Report. “The worst part being that they will do it even for bad games, which invalidates this excuse in most cases,” he said.

This atmosphere is killing the talent pool, and when an entire industry is hospitable to people willing to give up their personal life to make games, it’s no surprise that the games being released can feel so homogenous.

“I think that the real issue is that those who actually want it to be this way, and they do exist, are chasing away some very talented developers who would want a more balanced life,” Boucher-Vidal said.

I spoke with industry veteran Keith Fuller to ask about these issues. Fuller spent 12 years at Raven Software before becoming a consultant specializing in video game production, and we've often had conversations about quality of life for game developers. I asked him about talent being driven out of the industry due to working conditions.

Your average industry professional is a 31 year old white man with one to three years of experience, and no children. This man will likely leave the industry in under ten years, and another young, childless white man will take his place
“I worked with an incredibly passionate and bright gameplay programmer who went from one volatile AAA studio to a second before leaving the industry just ahead of a new round of layoffs,” Fuller told the Report. “He's now working fewer hours, making more money, and is in a much more stable industry. With a wife and recent addition to the family he said he just couldn't subject them to the capricious instability of employment in games anymore.”

A short life span in the industry is common. “The benefits of experience are downplayed when it comes to how a company is managed, but then again the big studios are always ready to pay premium salaries for the very few veterans that they can grab,” Boucher-Vidal said. “Game developers leave the industry after five years on average, so they really should think of building a work environment that make your people stay and ‘make’ veterans themselves instead of always going for the short term solution of ‘stealing’ a veteran from another studio by offering him a bigger salary.”

Things get fuzzy when I asked for a source on the five year average of industry professionals, but a 2009 quality of life survey from the IGDA showed that 80 percent of respondents had been in the industry for 10 years or less, with the most common level of experience being one to three years in the industry. 71 percent of men were childless, with a stunning 79 percent of women being childless.

Your average industry professional is a 31 year old white man (86 percent of the respondents were male, 82 percent were white) with one to three years of experience, and no children. This man will likely leave the industry in under ten years, and another young, childless white man will take his place. Turnover is high, experience is low. This is the hidden cost of our favorite art form.
How to fight back

Nine Dots is fighting these trends in some unique ways. While the idea of a shorter work week and days off may sound good to most of us, it’s still easy to find talented 20-something developers who are filled with piss and vinegar and want to work long hours to make the game better. It’s an interesting problem to have, but the downside to letting them work is that now others may feel like they're expected to exhibit the same behavior, or they could be made to feel lazy for leaving work after “only” ten hours.

Nine Dots had a novel idea: They just send those employees home to work on their own projects. If you still want to make a game after working at the studio for a day, well then go home and make another game!

“They develop expertise and there is a lot of that experience that can be transferred back in our studio,” Boucher-Vidal stated. “It's also way more satisfying to vary from a project to another than always staying on the same thing for a long time. So it can be refreshing to work more, in a sense, if you participate in more than one big project.”
This is a strategy that wouldn’t work at most studios, where employees are asked to sign away the rights to their personal projects. Many companies want to own your work even when you’re off the clock. “Here at Nine Dots, we aren't using any non-concurrence agreements, so these personal projects can actually benefit them financially if they make something that is commercially viable,” Boucher-Vidal said.

Keep in mind the creator of Spaceteam left BioWare to create new games because EA owned any game he created. The loss of talent due to these policies is very real, and working on multiple projects allows designers and artists to grow and evolve.
The world won't be changed overnight

Nine Dots needs to release a successful game to prove its point; their last game made $6,000 in sales and gathered $16,000 in crowd-funding. At the moment, Boucher-Vidal is working long hours, wearing many hats, and taking part in the system he wants to shut down. Until the studio is profitable there won't be much money to go around, and any failure will be seen as more evidence that change to the status quo is dangerous.

“I think that they won't believe it until they see it, or until they want to believe it because they are starting to be exhausted. The game being made must be ambitious in nature however, it can't be a one-button mobile app for instance,” he told the Report. “I think that the key is to be commercially successful without crunch. Then the word can start spreading around that you can make a profit without sucking the life out of your developers, and thus you lose any good reason to do so.”

They're not there yet, but the message is important, and more studios need to help balance quality of life with releasing successful games. Until there is evidence that other models will work, and that's going to take a hit game or two, very little with change, and the revolving door of young, white, childless men will continue to make our games.

- Will read and comment later - busy @ work :M

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
That's a very good article, and I agree with Boucher-Vidal fully. Especially this part:

“The real problem however is not that they are immature when they get in, but that too often they get out once they reach maturity,”

Exactly what I think about the industry aswell. Sadly, this is a trend that is permeating all works of life, not just the gindustry. But I think it's most severe there, since it's a rather new field of work with only very few established conventions and expectations.

RK47

Patron
Turnover is high, experience is low. This is the hidden cost of our favorite art form.

:M Gaming is an art form.

Multi-headed Cow

It is. I know that while I'm installing the latest rape mod for the latest Bethesda game I usually end up asking some pretty important questions about myself. That's what art does, right?

Good article, but it's sad that this same complaint with the games industry has been around for almost 20 years now, with virtually no signs of progress.

Who can blame quality developers for deciding they'd rather switch to making minature Iphone games when they can make the same money with more control over their working hours? How many times do we have to read pieces by developers who are really enthusiastic about games, but decided that they'd rather just stick to playing them instead of making them, because they can get paid way more making pharmaceutical software while working a standard 40-50 hr week with decent annual leave?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Chris-Avellone-suit-picture.jpg

If this is immature, then I don't want anyone to grow up.

Also, looking up MCA on google brought up these images.

736781048_1243841.gif

2g3Wh.jpg

These Codexian in origin? Or do people outside this place like him as much as we do?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And he complains about investors having set of standards and demands to smaller relatively unknown companies before giving them loadsa money to develop those good games.
Except that almost every game dev companies are like this, not just unknown ones. Plus he didn't complain about the need of standards.

And after all that naive dreamy bullshit, he takes a higher ground and dares to comment on others' maturity??
You poor child, did he stepped into your inmature soul? :smug:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Can a decent game be developed with a team working roughly 9 to 5? Is it the industry that causes the problems or is it something fundamental about computer games?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can a decent game be developed with a team working roughly 9 to 5? Is it the industry that causes the problems or is it something fundamental about computer games?
Of course it could. It would just push the release date further, which I assume is not a desireable thing for a publisher. Or they should hire more people, which is again not desireable for the company (needs more funding).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
And he complains about investors having set of standards and demands to smaller relatively unknown companies before giving them loadsa money to develop those good games.
Except that almost every game dev companies are like this, not just unknown ones.

Are like what?
Need to work a lot, crunch time, very little free time, read the article FFS, it is written there.

And what do you base your information on, even?
I base my information on Jesus.

RK47

Patron
Those of you posting MCA as an example of mature game developers need to understand what the article saying is:

Your average industry professional is a 31 year old white man (86 percent of the respondents were male, 82 percent were white) with one to three years of experience, and no children. This man will likely leave the industry in under ten years, and another young, childless white man will take his place. Turnover is high, experience is low. This is the hidden cost of our favorite art form.

This is the problem the industry is facing and may explain why recycled game formula is prevalent and we're hardly seeing anything new from the 'AAA - once a year releases.'

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
TL;DR

So more whiney bitches who don't have enough mojo inside them.

Fair enough. This industry needs to trim plenty of fat anyway, only leaving the most disciplined, dedicated and hardcore left. Everybody else should go home and become a life-style counselor or something.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Game developers are somehow the ideal soldiers of modern capitalism : young, without children, with no political education (or inclination), driven by passion and the illusion they will be able to CREATE something in the field they love...
Which means they won't even need a taskmaster to drive themselves to insane working hours : they get exploited but they'll be the first ones to deny it.
And if someone tries to denounce that situation, they will usually rise like one man and tell him to get the fuck out if he's not happy.

And when they hit 35-40 they understand that what they did was absolute shit, but also that no one around them will give a fuck about that. So they leave.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Fuck's sake, this is true for any industry where huge corporations dominate majority of the market, unless they find thier own niche (like, you know, indie game developers have.)
Umm, no. Have you ever had a job or something? Or experience in working for a company? Or are you just pulling stuff out of your ass and trying to look edgy?

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Extrapolating from another field of software development, where a significant portion of work hours is often spent not working, yes it can. Project management is often the weakest link.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Umm, no. Have you ever had a job or something? Or experience in working for a company? Or are you just pulling stuff out of your ass and trying to look edgy?
It's just that he KNOWS, man. :balance:

Gerrard

Arcane
You know, when they say two nukes weren't enough, they are completely right.

The US could've used a couple too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Of course it could. It would just push the release date further, which I assume is not a desireable thing for a publisher. Or they should hire more people, which is again not desireable for the company (needs more funding).
If publishers were forced to pay overtime for crunch hours, it'd become practically nonexistent.

You know, when they say two nukes weren't enough, they are completely right.

The US could've used a couple too.

The use of nuclear weapons was entirely unnecessary.

After all, the firebombings of Dresden and Stuttgart caused far more civillian casualties. They could have just used the pre-existing firebombing tech for a fraction of the cost:) And Americans do a good enough job of killing each other en masse without outside help anyway.

Dexter

Arcane
So, the people working technical jobs are the ones most qualified to do so, what exactly is the problem?
I get the feeling that this is a camouflaged "social justice" article, especially the way they use "white man" as derogatory. Are black men and pregnant women supposed to be better at coding or something or should they just get people without any qualifications in IT working there, so they can fulfill some sort of quota and be a multicultural tour de force?

How to fight back

Nine Dots is fighting these trends in some unique ways. While the idea of a shorter work week and days off may sound good to most of us, it’s still easy to find talented 20-something developers who are filled with piss and vinegar and want to work long hours to make the game better. It’s an interesting problem to have, but the downside to letting them work is that now others may feel like they're expected to exhibit the same behavior, or they could be made to feel lazy for leaving work after “only” ten hours.
So the proposed "solution" is to kill off ambition of wanting to make a game better and put in overtime so that others don't feel "lazy"?

Nine Dots needs to release a successful game to prove its point; their last game made $6,000 in sales and gathered $16,000 in crowd-funding. At the moment, Boucher-Vidal is working long hours, wearing many hats, and taking part in the system he wants to shut down. Until the studio is profitable there won't be much money to go around, and any failure will be seen as more evidence that change to the status quo is dangerous.
And this "solution" comes from a guy that managed to sell $6000 worth in product and the only money made otherwise is from "charity"?

Oarfish

Prophet
If publishers were forced to pay overtime for crunch hours, it'd become practically nonexistent.

Publishers usually don't pay wages to developers. I know people who happily work insane unpaid hours at start ups for the probability of a very large reward. Not everyone wants a fair days pay for a fair days work.

If you are doing it in an industry that stopped paying royalties to get a AAA out of the door for someone else's bonus then you are probably wasting your intelligence.

Garm

Learned
Hey look it's another whiny article about the poor developers in the video game industry. Why the fuck do people in this industry seem to whine about their job and their customers more than all the other entertainment industries combined? Seriously, it's really getting old.

Destroid

Arcane

Publishers usually don't pay wages to developers. I know people who happily work insane unpaid hours at start ups for the probability of a very large reward. Not everyone wants a fair days pay for a fair days work.

If you are doing it in an industry that stopped paying royalties to get a AAA out of the door for someone else's bonus then you are probably wasting your intelligence.

Only people with a stake in the company will do that, and with good reason. To expect ordinary employees to do so is insane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom