Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Painkiller 'Spiritual Sequel' - Necrovision

DefJam101

Arcane
I was scouring the internet for info on the deal with FASA and acquiring the MechWarrior license, and I ran into this game. It's calling itself a spiritual sequel to The Codex's (and everyone with a penis's) favorite FPS game, Painkiller. It's set during WW1 (I think...), where you battle against demons and ghosts and all sorts of creepy boner-inducing foes.

Not much info on the game from what I can see, but there is a large amount of screenshots and concept art.

941742_20080606_screen013.jpg

941742_20080606_screen003.jpg

941742_20080606_screen007.jpg

A screenshot of the player wielding a pistol worries me slightly. Part of what made Painkiller so great was it's fun and inventive weapons. You can nail the art design and physics down as much as you want, but it won't be a Painkiller 'spiritual-sequel' without awesome guns. The strange gauntlet pictured in one of those screenshots gave me hope, as combining WW2-era weaponry with strange otherworldly relics could make for some quality weapons. I also rather like the art style. The only thing that bothers me is that it looks bloomy-as-fuck. It's tough to tell these days, though. It obviously has motion blurring and depth of field going on.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to this game, does anyone have more info on it? If they get the gameplay down solid, and the art direction holds up, this could be a nice game.

DefJam101

Arcane
Some info on the game:

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/necrovision_interview/

As we said before there will be a great variety of enemies from regular human soldiers, to undead soldiers then up to Demons. The player will also have to face huge war machines and humongous Demon bosses. We wanted to create different enemies than most FPS offerings and also make them logical and consistent; connecting with the difficulty progression and graphical changes in game’s world. The undead, demons and monsters are nothing new to this genre, but we have mechanical characters and cyborgs that are completely unique. WWI saw a lot of experimentation with technologies of mass killing and we are following this thread with the character design. Imagine what could be created when an evil genius is trying to create a mega-soldier with dead body parts, steam engines and old fashioned machine guns. The level of technological sophistication from 100 years ago makes the mechanical creatures of NecroVisioN closer to those of Silent Hill than those of Quake 4.

Our guiding principle in level design is variety. This is key for making games addictive so they don’t get old after a couple of hours. There will be several ways to complete every map; this will depend on the player’s style. Skilled players will be able to progress by killing hordes of opponents, while someone better at solving puzzles could bypass a lot of combat.

Oh god, this might be heavan.

Speaking of weird shit, you see the Shellshock 2 trailer? Zombies in Vietnam? You need zombies to show the horrors of war?

well i wouldnt worry about the weapons; the pistol appears to be dual wielded with that gauntlet you mentioned. has claws and some kind of funnel looking thing; made me think of a flame thrower instantly.

im interested, but in addition to the design and art, the music better be as kickass as the first one. One of the best video game soundtracks, right in the face of all these pseudo orchestra faggotry soundtracks (force unleashed, too human, etc) we get nowadays.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
The art design looks awesome, the slowdown in that trailer coupled with the ominous green bar is a little discouraging though...

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The WW1 sections in the darkness was the best part of that game. This looks cool. But they should bring back the stake gun, the proper one where it pins enemies to walls.

MasPingon

Arcane
Omfg, Necrovision topic on teh Codex!11 First of all - those trailers are from the begining of 2007, when NC was at the early stage of development. Now this game looks really good, check this

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=3C95n3MKEbY

It seems shooting is as entertaining as in PK- massive gore, nice ragdolls, gibs and all that crazy stuff.I doubt there will be a stakegun. Remember that it's not Painkiller 2, Necrovision is not People Can Fly game. I hope for a similar weapon tho, those guys from Farm 51 know what to do to make a good, arcade first person shooter.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=l5VThSBQWRM

Hellraiser/ Evil Dead:AoD anyone? ;]

DefJam101

Arcane
Jesus christ! Thank you MasPingon!

My excitement meter for this game just went from 6/10 --> 9/10. All I need now is a sample of the game's soundtrack... :D

i have to say i find the music present in the trailers worrisome - more orchestra bullshit. The cinematic was shit too. also, watching the gauntlet in action: wtf? you look like a retard running around with your left hand out like some kid with down syndrome. the gauntlet should only come out when you use it for melee or the flamethrower function (thought i saw this, could be wrong though); never mind the fact that it looks hellishly awkward to use, just like most fps melee schemes.

Argosy

Novice
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=3C95n3MKEbY
I'm betting this game is going to be the next You are Empty.
Also, That voice actor sounds eerily like the one from Shadow Man.

Balor

Arcane
Necrovision? Is it a term for: "I see dead people!"?
Anyway, does look pretty interesting. And the PC sounds like a real badass.
Reminds me of Perumov's: "The Law binds you with thousands of strings. Cut one - and you are a criminal. Cut ten - outlaw. Cut all - god!".

DefJam101

Arcane
Bump with more informashits, Gamespot did a shitty hands-on:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/ne ... id=6192233

Nothing big, although they seem to have only seen the start of the game (where you fight boring germanfags instead of large boner-inducing monsters). It's tough to find anything concrete about this game at the moment. I hope F51 does some beta testing later on so I can get in on this mofo to make sure us Painkillerites can get some quality action. Screenshots still look good, though.

Tasty art design seems to be holding up. Love the building in the background of this shot:

941742_20080606_embed012.jpg

As always, a quick look at the comments section of the article is enough to get your daily dose of face --> desk action.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Call of Duty iron sights + Undying-style weapon & magic dual wield + Quake 4 vehicle levels = Necrovision? The gameplay footage shown so far doesn't really give off a Painkiller vibe.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Balor said:
Reminds me of Perumov's: "The Law binds you with thousands of strings. Cut one - and you are a criminal. Cut ten - outlaw. Cut all - god!".
From which Perumov's book is this quote? I read a few but none of them contained it.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
French demo is out. Get it while you can, it was removed from the original upload site because it is apparently technically fuxxored.

I keep dying so either it's teh hard or I'm a moran. :(

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I read a review saying that this game is incredibly tedious and boring for the first 30 minutes of so, but gets much better later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom