Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Painkiller 'Spiritual Sequel' - Necrovision

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by DefJam101, Oct 2, 2008.

1. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    I was scouring the internet for info on the deal with FASA and acquiring the MechWarrior license, and I ran into this game. It's calling itself a spiritual sequel to The Codex's (and everyone with a penis's) favorite FPS game, Painkiller. It's set during WW1 (I think...), where you battle against demons and ghosts and all sorts of creepy boner-inducing foes.

Not much info on the game from what I can see, but there is a large amount of screenshots and concept art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A screenshot of the player wielding a pistol worries me slightly. Part of what made Painkiller so great was it's fun and inventive weapons. You can nail the art design and physics down as much as you want, but it won't be a Painkiller 'spiritual-sequel' without awesome guns. The strange gauntlet pictured in one of those screenshots gave me hope, as combining WW2-era weaponry with strange otherworldly relics could make for some quality weapons. I also rather like the art style. The only thing that bothers me is that it looks bloomy-as-fuck. It's tough to tell these days, though. It obviously has motion blurring and depth of field going on.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to this game, does anyone have more info on it? If they get the gameplay down solid, and the art direction holds up, this could be a nice game.

^ Top  
  2. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Some info on the game:

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/necrovision_interview/

Oh god, this might be heavan.

^ Top  
  3. sportforredneck Cipher

sportforredneck
    Speaking of weird shit, you see the Shellshock 2 trailer? Zombies in Vietnam? You need zombies to show the horrors of war?

^ Top  
  4. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    it's called subtlety, or so hollywood tells me.

^ Top  
  5. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    well i wouldnt worry about the weapons; the pistol appears to be dual wielded with that gauntlet you mentioned. has claws and some kind of funnel looking thing; made me think of a flame thrower instantly.

im interested, but in addition to the design and art, the music better be as kickass as the first one. One of the best video game soundtracks, right in the face of all these pseudo orchestra faggotry soundtracks (force unleashed, too human, etc) we get nowadays.

^ Top  
  6. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    you're out of luck, it seems. the weapons in that trailer look fucking boring as well.

^ Top  
  7. Kaiserin Liturgist

Kaiserin
    The art design looks awesome, the slowdown in that trailer coupled with the ominous green bar is a little discouraging though...

^ Top  
  8. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    What is Kroenen doing in there?

^ Top  
  9. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    ^ Top  
  10. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    The WW1 sections in the darkness was the best part of that game. This looks cool. But they should bring back the stake gun, the proper one where it pins enemies to walls.

^ Top  
  11. MasPingon Arcane

MasPingon
    Omfg, Necrovision topic on teh Codex!11 First of all - those trailers are from the begining of 2007, when NC was at the early stage of development. Now this game looks really good, check this

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=3C95n3MKEbY

It seems shooting is as entertaining as in PK- massive gore, nice ragdolls, gibs and all that crazy stuff.I doubt there will be a stakegun. Remember that it's not Painkiller 2, Necrovision is not People Can Fly game. I hope for a similar weapon tho, those guys from Farm 51 know what to do to make a good, arcade first person shooter.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=l5VThSBQWRM

Hellraiser/ Evil Dead:AoD anyone? ;]

^ Top  
  12. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    That new trailer is a lot better, praise the lord.

I liked some of the weapons in the fan-developed Overdose, I thought the razor cube was pretty cool.

^ Top  
  13. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Definately has a Hellraiser vibe to it. But why is Kroenen there?

^ Top  
  14. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Jesus christ! Thank you MasPingon!

My excitement meter for this game just went from 6/10 --> 9/10. All I need now is a sample of the game's soundtrack... :D

^ Top  
  15. MasPingon Arcane

MasPingon
    Btw here is a bit of gameplay from Leipzig 2008. Begining is boring, the guy just walking around doing shit. The fun part begins at 3:50, it's typical PK action, there is even a demon mode. I'm afraid that those 3rd person levels will suck

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=k6lfLRBwAFk

^ Top  
  16. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    i have to say i find the music present in the trailers worrisome - more orchestra bullshit. The cinematic was shit too. also, watching the gauntlet in action: wtf? you look like a retard running around with your left hand out like some kid with down syndrome. the gauntlet should only come out when you use it for melee or the flamethrower function (thought i saw this, could be wrong though); never mind the fact that it looks hellishly awkward to use, just like most fps melee schemes.

^ Top  
  17. Argosy Novice

Argosy
    I'm betting this game is going to be the next You are Empty.
    Also, That voice actor sounds eerily like the one from Shadow Man.

^ Top  
  18. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Necrovision? Is it a term for: "I see dead people!"?
    Anyway, does look pretty interesting. And the PC sounds like a real badass.
    Reminds me of Perumov's: "The Law binds you with thousands of strings. Cut one - and you are a criminal. Cut ten - outlaw. Cut all - god!".

^ Top  
  19. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Bump with more informashits, Gamespot did a shitty hands-on:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/ne ... id=6192233

Nothing big, although they seem to have only seen the start of the game (where you fight boring germanfags instead of large boner-inducing monsters). It's tough to find anything concrete about this game at the moment. I hope F51 does some beta testing later on so I can get in on this mofo to make sure us Painkillerites can get some quality action. Screenshots still look good, though.

Tasty art design seems to be holding up. Love the building in the background of this shot:

[​IMG]

As always, a quick look at the comments section of the article is enough to get your daily dose of face --> desk action.

^ Top  
  20. Dire Roach Prophet

Dire Roach
    Call of Duty iron sights + Undying-style weapon & magic dual wield + Quake 4 vehicle levels = Necrovision? The gameplay footage shown so far doesn't really give off a Painkiller vibe.

^ Top  
  21. MaskedMan very cool Patron

MaskedMan
  22. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    Not so sure about those vehicle sections, but the big-ass bosses look great. At least that last demon did.

^ Top  
  23. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    From which Perumov's book is this quote? I read a few but none of them contained it.

^ Top  
  24. MaskedMan very cool Patron

MaskedMan
    French demo is out. Get it while you can, it was removed from the original upload site because it is apparently technically fuxxored.
    [​IMG]
    I keep dying so either it's teh hard or I'm a moran. :(

^ Top  
  25. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    Having played Cryostasis (same dev) I'm skeptical they can pull this off. Will give the demo a whirl though, thanks.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.