Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Painkiller 'Spiritual Sequel' - Necrovision

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Occasionally Fatal said:
Having played Cryostasis (same dev)(...)

Two entirely different developers - in other words, you're wrong.
I'll wait for the English demo, though approximately 1 GB of data is going to take ages to download.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, too much fucking bloom. I mean, literally, no meme here.

Gerrard

Arcane
I can't find the goddamn dynamite. I don't know if I'm even supposed to find it or what.

I also got a "No free memory" error. I have 4GB. Turns out the game used up all virtual memory (2 GB) while using only 900MB of RAM.

I just crashed it again by pressing Escape. Looks like it really had some technical problems.
But you can fight zombies with a shovel.

DefJam101

Arcane
Downloading the demo, thanks a lot for linking it!

I hope this game turns out good, it's one of the few I am actually looking forward to.

DefJam101

Arcane
Too buggy for me to get proper judgment. I've been told it is not an official demo (i.e. it was leaked) so it's understandable. I can only get it to run at 800x600, sound doesn't work, loading takes fucking forever, etc.

My only impression from the gameplay is that it is more reminiscent of Doom or Serious Sam than Painkiller. I'll have to wait for the English demo to tell you more.

DefJam101

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Which is it? Doom or Serious Sam? Painkiller and Serious Sam are the same sorts of games, Doom is not.

Not necessarily. Painkiller is more movement-based, where as Doom and Serious Sam are about killing (lots) of monsters before they kill you. For instance, like in Serious Sam, bunny hopping doesn't appear to mean shit in NecroVisioN. Weapons, combos, kill counts, aiming, etc. seem to be more important than movement.

Painkiller was never a 'Serious Sam killer', it was just a new spin on a familiar genre. That is also why Painkiller: Overdose sucked, it tried to be Serious Sam and failed horribly. :?

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Damn, this game looks sweet!

I don't know what previews you guys were reading, but right in the interview they state that the weapons start off fairly standard, and then become supernatural and more interesting over time as you descend into the underworld. Also, you get demonic and vampiric power, and a melee combo fighting system. I am hooked!

Played the demo. Pretty weak. Melee combat is trash, runs like an unoptimized piece of shit, and the french voice overs don't help matters. :lol: The gameplay has more in common with return to castle wolfenstein or something than painkiller or even doom 3. i understand its a leaked demo but even still my level of interest in this game just dropped to zero.

if this is the spiritual sequel to painkiller, kaiserin is the spiritual sequal to kc. or something. you get the idea.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Occasionally Fatal said:
Played the demo. Pretty weak. Melee combat is trash, runs like an unoptimized piece of shit, and the french voice overs don't help matters. :lol: The gameplay has more in common with return to castle wolfenstein or something than painkiller or even doom 3. i understand its a leaked demo but even still my level of interest in this game just dropped to zero.

if this is the spiritual sequel to painkiller, kaiserin is the spiritual sequal to kc. or something. you get the idea.

That's too bad. :( I hope it turns out better than the demo!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I just finished this, and hell, it was awesum.

Stuff like Serious Sam, Painkiller and Doom is being mentioned in this thread, but actually, I'd say that none of the comparisons is valid, since Necrovision's focus is not entirely on shooting - you'll be killing stuff in melee as often (if not even more often) than in range, which is somehow refreshing.

Levels are varied nicely, you start in WW1 trenches, then go through german-occupied old citadels, later on you're put into some weird ancient dungeons/temples (although one level here was suffering from SERIOUS copypasta) and end up in hell, and the art design looks pretty too. There are twelve levels, each taking ~45 minutes to complete. If you want more, there's also a 'challenge mode', in which new levels unlock after finishing the single player missions, and they involve shootemups like 'blow up 100 zombies with the grenade launcher'.

Difficulty is well-adjusted too, when you get bumrushed by large numbers of shitty enemies you'll be in quite a bit of trouble, and 'uber enemies' (that spawn rarely and of which there are 2-3 kinds) soak up a lot of damage and pack a punch. There's not that much of a big number of enemy types, but the gameplay doesn't suffer from that really, because they all do what they should do - zombies shamble to you and try to rip your innards out, ZE GERMANZ either sit tight and try to snipe you with rifles/submachineguns or charge you with bayonets, some are heavily armoured with fulltime machine guns and they act like 'tanks' (regular tanks also appear from time to time), fast zombies chase you and try to rip your innards out, etc.

What I also liked was how the gameplay turns a 180 degrees somewhere around the middle. In the first part you run around trenches shooping ZE GERMANZ and some occasional zombies with normal weaponry, while in the second part you are put inside vast, ancient underground compounds where you battle vampires, lotsa barbed-wire-covered zombies, spiders in gasmasks and other supernatural stuff. The normal weapons also get changed for the 'shadow hand' (which is FUCKING AWESOME) - it's a wolverine type spiked gauntlet with three different firing modes and regular slashing - and 'vampire weaponry' which is basically, an smg, a shotgun, a grenade launcher and a flamethrower wielded in one hand so you can use them at the same time as the gauntlet. You can also resurrect fallen enemies to do your bidding, but that's pretty useless. Later on, you can also pilot a dragon (although that level is kind of boring in the long run), and a generic mech with a chaingun in one hand and a rocket launcher in the other (of course with unlimited ammo).

Moreover, the game rewards creativity with its special attacks and comboes. Each of these does a lot more damage than regular attacks and loads up your level of adrenaline (which fuels the gauntlet's special attacks, and allows bullet time if activated), and there's really a lot of them. For example, ONLY with the regular rifle you can do as follows: stab twice with the bayonet for a 'doublestab' special attack, stab in the head for an 'impalement' instakill, stab and shoot, charge + punch + shoot, shoot + kick, and probably more that I've forgotten about, and there are many other weapons, each with unique comboes, which really adds a lot of variety to the killing.

The "BLAHBLAHBLAH" factor is also very low. If you couldn't give a flying crap about any actual 'story', you should be satisfied, as there are maybe... 4-5 places where you have to wait and listen to people yapping about demons, destiny and all kinds of stuff like that, while other spoken parts are being done when you are running around and shooping and there are cancellable 'slideshows' after each mission that give you additional insight into the story.

Definitely recommended.

Tails

Arbiter
Huh, Necrovision site is avaible even in html version :shock:

Downloading demo now...

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
:necro:

Anyone got any magic tricks to get this POS to run in a somewhat of a stable manner? I've tried to play through the tutorial for 5 times now and it's always crashed at some point. Cba to do hours of troubleshooting so probably just gonna refund it if it's not easily fixable.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My game kept crashing because of corrupted saves or something. I had to delete the most recent saves until I could load a game without crashing. Since you are only at the tutorial level, try deleting everything in the save folder wherever you have NecroVision installed.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks for the tip. Didn't work for me though :?. Tried a couple of other things, but no luck... time to get my 2,49€ back I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom