Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Parent deletes his kid's Minecraft world as punishment for sleeping late, asks if he's the asshole

Max Heap

Arcane
What bothers me about this whole issue are two things:

a) Kid's have a VERY different perception of time.
b) Conscious thought sets in at like 4 or 5.

So you got a kid that's 9. It's worked a year on that minecraft world.
A year is literally a quarter of that kid's conscious life.

That's an eternity. And they'll remember it as such too. That's why that is so fucked.
Just think how long your childhood seems in your memory compared to lets say your 20s.
And now imagine having such a substantial part of your life ruined by a parent.

I mean the kid didn't get beaten or raped or anything, but I'll be damned if that doesn't absolutely fuck that relationship.
That kid will literally remember that forever. He may not care forever (even though sub-consciously he might), but I have absolutely no doubt in my mind, that shit like that doesn't leave you. It's like a big turd planted in your childhood memories.

Saduj

Arcane
If the parent needed the kid to wake up earlier, why not send him to bed earlier? Maybe even tell the kid first. "If you can't wake up on time, it means you're going to bed too late and you'll have to go to bed earlier". Then the punishment not only fits the crime, but does something towards making sure it doesn't happen again. Also, waking him up when he's sleeping late will ensure that the habit doesn't snowball.

Destroying the result of a relatively constructive hobby is just stupidity and the people saying he's just learned not to trust the parent are right.

Of course, I also agree with those saying there is no reason for a nine year to have to be up at 7 am during quarantine anyway. If someone wakes me up at 7 am when I have no place to be, there better be an emergency.

Story also reminds me of pretty much the opposite happening with my parents. When I was a little kid, Saturday morning cartoons were a big thing. As a five year old, I'd get up between 6:30 and 7:00 so I wouldn't miss any. First thing I'd do is go into my parent's room to ask permission to watch TV, unknowingly ruining their one opportunity during the week to sleep in. Eventually they told me: 1) On Saturday morning, I didn't have to ask permission to watch TV. 2) I should go downstairs quietly, making sure not to wake them up. 3) I had to take my three year old brother's ass with me.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Minecraft is a waste of time, like all video games.

Wake up when your father tells you. The lesson is don't ask reddit or codex for parenting advice.

Saduj

Arcane
So then my friend's Dad takes not only the HoMM2 CDrom, but every other single CDRom he can find from not only my friend's brother, but also my friend (as they were all stored in the same place) and microwaves them one by one. It took like 10 minutes, and was the most intense and sustained display of rage I think I have ever seen to this day.

What a dick. But you have to admire the commitment. He had to know you were going to tell the story to anyone who would listen. Games were much more expensive back then too.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What a massive cunt. This is why I don't tell my parents I play Morrowind.

So then my friend's Dad takes not only the HoMM2 CDrom, but every other single CDRom he can find from not only my friend's brother, but also my friend (as they were all stored in the same place) and microwaves them one by one. It took like 10 minutes, and was the most intense and sustained display of rage I think I have ever seen to this day.

What a dick. But you have to admire the commitment. He had to know you were going to tell the story to anyone who would listen. Games were much more expensive back then too.

Yeah. Now as a parent in my late 30s I actually find it a pretty amusing story looking back, but I think I would feel differently if it had been my Dad and not theirs.
My ability to look past it also probably has something to do with the fact that my friend’s dad was generally one of the nicest and most articulate people I’ve ever had the privilege to meet. He just had some anger issues he never fully worked out. Just goes to show even good people have bad parenting days (something I think any good parent will readily admit and not need reddit to tell them).

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
They could have just tried the carrot approach, instead of a beating with the stick. Start having dessert for breakfast but only until 8:30am, no dessert at any other time of the day. If the kid keeps being a slugabed get creative and start making intricate desserts, really would only work with siblings to really make it annoying. Then, when you all have diabetes except the one kid with chronic fatigue syndrome you can all get in your mobility scooters and tow him on a mattress in his little red wagon down to krispy kreme for his birthday party, which he naturally sleeps through.

Gerrard

Arcane
The amount of sperging out over this here is a bit surprising to me. As a child, my school principle had a wooden paddle on the wall behind his desk, and many of my neighborhood pals were whipped on the regular by their parents. Even I was given the hard hand once or twice, though usually a stern look or 'HEY!' from pops was enough to chill me out. Part of the credibility of parental authority is children's fear of it.

There's a difference between a swift beating and destroying a year's worth of creative effort.

It's a fucking video game, bro. You're getting too bent out of shape over a series of 1s and 0s.
OK boomer.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
A rubicon has been crossed, blood has flown, I think the kid has no other choice now, to restore his honour, wait for the next opportunity to get to his fathers PC and format all hard drives.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I remember one Christmas when I was young man (95? 96?). My best friend and I had a tradition of asking each of our parents for one computer game that we could play together either co-operatively or hotseat. By that time we had roped my best friend's younger brother into this as well because, duh, 3 games are better than 2, and while it was annoying to have to hang out with his little brother we could just be shitty teenagers and be really mean to him. Anyways, that year we pressured my friend's younger brother into asking for HoMM2 because we wanted some other games (I think Diablo and... something else) more, but also wanted HoMM2. So Christmas morning comes around and my friend's little brother gets HoMM2. Yay! We're all excited and I go over to their house to play computer games. Come 9 o'clock and my friend's dad tells my friend's brother that it's time for him to brush his teeth and go to bed, but my friend's brother refuses, saying he needs to play just a few more turns. So then my friend's Dad takes not only the HoMM2 CDrom, but every other single CDRom he can find from not only my friend's brother, but also my friend (as they were all stored in the same place) and microwaves them one by one. It took like 10 minutes, and was the most intense and sustained display of rage I think I have ever seen to this day. And then of course my best friend and I beat his brother up for the next year because he ruined some of our favorite games. The only things I know about my friend's brother today are that he sells drugs out of his parents' basement and that everytime I logon Steam he is always playing some shitty F2P MMO.

Also why the fuck is this parent looking a gift horse in the mouth? My son wakes up at 5:45AM every single day, if he slept even until 7 I would be absolutely fucking elated.

That's why you are supposed to make kids from junkie families your friends. He put the CDs in the microwave you say? The father was probably high on ayahuasca that night and tried to electrocute himself to the peak of White Rabbit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What do you guys think?

I've said this in other threads, but until your kid is like 5, don't give them screens, stick with traditional activities - i.e.: drawing, reading stories, doing simple math, playing with toys (and on the dirt), etc...
Seriously the first years of life are very important for their development, kids brains at that age are like sponges.
Don't listen to people that say that there's no other way than to make kids shut up other than giving them a screen, they are absurdly wrong and will have a fuckton of headaches in the future (not to mention will have a insufferable little shit for a child).

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
The amount of sperging out over this here is a bit surprising to me. As a child, my school principle had a wooden paddle on the wall behind his desk, and many of my neighborhood pals were whipped on the regular by their parents. Even I was given the hard hand once or twice, though usually a stern look or 'HEY!' from pops was enough to chill me out. Part of the credibility of parental authority is children's fear of it.

There's a difference between a swift beating and destroying a year's worth of creative effort.

It's a fucking video game, bro. You're getting too bent out of shape over a series of 1s and 0s.
OK boomer.

Better late than never.

Norfleet

Also why the fuck is this parent looking a gift horse in the mouth? My son wakes up at 5:45AM every single day, if he slept even until 7 I would be absolutely fucking elated.
I don't know why parents want their kids to wake up at all. Wouldn't it be SO much better if they just crawled into a a cocoon and sealed themselves in and didn't emerge until they were 18?

janior

Arcane
Patron
I remember one Christmas when I was young man (95? 96?). My best friend and I had a tradition of asking each of our parents for one computer game that we could play together either co-operatively or hotseat. By that time we had roped my best friend's younger brother into this as well because, duh, 3 games are better than 2, and while it was annoying to have to hang out with his little brother we could just be shitty teenagers and be really mean to him. Anyways, that year we pressured my friend's younger brother into asking for HoMM2 because we wanted some other games (I think Diablo and... something else) more, but also wanted HoMM2. So Christmas morning comes around and my friend's little brother gets HoMM2. Yay! We're all excited and I go over to their house to play computer games. Come 9 o'clock and my friend's dad tells my friend's brother that it's time for him to brush his teeth and go to bed, but my friend's brother refuses, saying he needs to play just a few more turns. So then my friend's Dad takes not only the HoMM2 CDrom, but every other single CDRom he can find from not only my friend's brother, but also my friend (as they were all stored in the same place) and microwaves them one by one. It took like 10 minutes, and was the most intense and sustained display of rage I think I have ever seen to this day. And then of course my best friend and I beat his brother up for the next year because he ruined some of our favorite games. The only things I know about my friend's brother today are that he sells drugs out of his parents' basement and that everytime I logon Steam he is always playing some shitty F2P MMO.

one of the better copypastas this year

Generic-Giant-Spider

I once created a huge pile of Lego kingdoms in the family room hardly anyone used. It was my childhood magnum opus, I even called it "Castle Lego." Then one day I woke up to the shock and terror of my father disassembling and throwing it all in a big bin. I screeched in my squeaky child voice what the meaning of this was and he looked at me, said good morning, I inquired loudly again, and he said to me nonchalantly, "Cleaning up your faggy blockhead toys, what does it look like?" I told him it was a project, it was my pride and joy and he laughed then smacked me in the face and said, "Shut up you little fucking BITCH. Go outside and play football like your brothers. Pussy." So I did. I played football.

And you know what? I turned out fine. Now I have to go feed my four eight legged sons.

Semiurge

Cipher
It's like a big turd planted in your childhood memories.

A time-bomb, cancer, buried radioactive waste...

Now I have to go feed my four eight legged sons.

TEI9qD_7H-jiLswVJCsQ6wSHhx2j_3uQ8s0sq0_v4EM.jpg

Max Damage

Savant
If that story is true, then this might be the most retarded, petty AND faggiest dad ever. I can't think of a worse way to "discipline" your child than cowardly destroy a whole fucking year of its work behind its back. Also, what's the point of forcing anyone to wake up this early, especially during quarantine? This is the perfect way of destroying your child's trust and respect towards you while raising resentment for many years to come. I also doubt this was written by actual father, sounds like typical insufferable retarded single mom, if not, then this is gayer than literal gay pile.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I once created a huge pile of Lego kingdoms in the family room hardly anyone used. It was my childhood magnum opus, I even called it "Castle Lego." Then one day I woke up to the shock and terror of my father disassembling and throwing it all in a big bin. I screeched in my squeaky child voice what the meaning of this was and he looked at me, said good morning, I inquired loudly again, and he said to me nonchalantly, "Cleaning up your faggy blockhead toys, what does it look like?" I told him it was a project, it was my pride and joy and he laughed then smacked me in the face and said, "Shut up you little fucking BITCH. Go outside and play football like your brothers. Pussy." So I did. I played football.

And you know what? I turned out fine. Now I have to go feed my four eight legged sons.
That ain't cool. You have an unfair advantage in football with eight legs and what not.

just_dmitri

Novice
That ain't cool. You have an unfair advantage in football with eight legs and what not.

Not necessary. While I can't find any statistics on sex and gender distribution of Mexican fighting tarantula, their "litter" seems to contain between 500 and 1 000 individuals. So he was probably competing with his eight legged brothers and how good can a spider who spent his time with lego be at football anyway? Also check your non-American privilege, while a simple game of soccer can have advantage of additional appendages, an intellectual game of true football does not get unbalanced by such crude tactics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom