Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Patch Thread - 1.03 April 3rd out now

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also I didn't notice anyting about difficulties, but I'm fairly convinced that the hard-difficulty is bugged.
It's not bugged, it just isn't very hard. If you switch from normal to hard, you will see different/more enemies.

Tuned down Mind Blades.

say goodbye to my little friend
Grieving Mother is about to grief a whole lot more.

PoE then needs something in between hard and PotD. Unless my characters are bugged and too good then hard is very easy hard.

PotD-size encounters, but without potd bonus to accuracy/deflection? I don't think it'll solve the problem of boring combat where you hold the agro with an invincible tank and just aoe everyone. The game is so "balanced", that I don't even have any idea of what should be fixed for combat to even start looking like fun. It's ruined to the core.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Friend, try this: every time you make an absolute statement on a subjective issue, preface it with an 'I think'. For example, 'I think it's ruined to the core'. That way, you're accounting for people who are enjoying this ruined-to-the-core combat system.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Friend, try this: every time you make an absolute statement on a subjective issue, preface it with an 'I think'. For example, 'I think it's ruined to the core'. That way, you're accounting for people who are enjoying this ruined-to-the-core combat system.

Are we seriously doing that shit here, where we have to preface our thoughts with IMO just so no delicate flowers get their feelings hurt? No shit that's his opinion, and it's an opinion shared by many. One tank and ranged nuking is *the* dominant tactic and there's no simple fix to the system.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
He's not hurting anyone's feelings, and I didn't say he was. But his view not posited as personal opinion, is it? It's stated as fact. Leave some room for disagreement.

For instance, your dominant tactic is not what I use, and I don't feel shortchanged. Does the game offer a scope for different playstyles? Sure it does. But there will always be assholes who want to make math out of every God damned thing. What's the optimal way to play? Are you kidding me, friend? 'But I can't beat PotD without tactical cheese! This tactic is the only way.' So what? One handful of sliver of a fragment of this niche genre of gaming wants the kind of balance that means every party/tactical combination is possibly game-beating. Another sees balance as an exercise in killing 'fun'. The bulk fall somewhere along that continuum, shrugging their shoulders. Who should the developer cater for? Did you play BG/BG2 because of the amazing tactical encounters? Was it killing Firkraag with 2x Greater Malisons and 1x Finger of Death that scratched your tactical flexibility itch?

Or summoning a hundred waves of cannon fodder for Sarevok to chase around, while your whole party pincushioned him to death? Was it your fighters/barbarians/rangers who were doing the bulk of the killing? Or was it in fact your wizard/sorcerer/cleric combos, wiping out packs of enemies before they even closed range?

Ultimately, friend, you're storming a teacup, and taking a shit on the best good faith effort (so far) to recreate something I value from my formative years. It's not the tactical brilliance of BG2 I wanted to see again. Why is our genre of choice infested by this sort of polaristic, zero-sum reductio ad absurdum? Yes, the combat system is less than ideal in some ways. Yes, it does present some problematic dynamics for people stuck in ADnD2/DnD3x thinking. No, you're not going to be able to run with a party of clerics who are better fighters than your best fighters, and casters on par with your most destructive (see: DnD 3rd Ed Clerics). No, PoE probably doesn't need a Tier system to compensate for incredible class imbalance. The sky isn't falling. PoE is really, really good times. Combat, warts and all. Long may it continue...

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They took out the fun or supposedly broken things from IE games and it's even easier to break than ever. If standing some invincible tank stationary while you aoe all around him is tactical cheese then BG requires a master's to break.

Criticising a game you desperately want to do well in its aim to recreate an IE experience is not shitting on it. There are better places for vacuous praise because it has good intentions.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

This ain't no dumblr, bro: this safe haven is exempt from that sort of courtesy-PC. It's always understood, that whatever one posts, is (to be taken as) their personal opinion unless inherently otherwise (eg, if someone posts "Water is wet", we instantly know it's an absolute truth, because that's quite obvious).

Gord

Arcane
I'm happy if they fix the actual bugs and bring skills/talents to a level where most of them are useful under certain circumstances.
If they alter some encounters/the AI/some enemies in a way that a part of them become more challenging/nasty it would be even better.
For the real combatfag experience we'll most probably eventually see mods.

Ziem

Arbiter
Why balance a SP game? WHY ?
why not?
personally i find it more entertaining when im forced to think about which ability to pick instead of spamming 1 broken spell again and again until the combat is over

(ofc you can fuck up the balancing and create an abomination which effectively limits the players choices instead of providing new ones.. like that shitty engagement system)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
personally i find it more entertaining when im forced to think about which ability to pick instead of spamming 1 broken spell again and again until the combat is over

What the fuck are you talking about, in baldur 2 i used all spells from range 1-9 , magic missiles, webs, meteroes, summons, holdings, fears,magic traps, blizzards, all the pletora of defensive spells, support spells which you could BUFF BEFORE THE FIGHT etc don't get me even started on druid and priest spells.

Gord

Arcane

I'm not talking about "balance" where everything is equally viable all the time, but about giving as many actions as possible an actual purpose, even if only circumstantial, instead of having one or two über-actions that you spam constantly to win every fight.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like all the big issues will be fixed. My Eder will need to wear armor again, instead of relying on his Star Treky Deflection shields.

I also like the rebalancing changes, even if I will miss my cheese tactics of stealthing towards enemy group and killing off their casters with my opening salvo.

Also, fast weapons are getting buffed. :love:

I hope they release this patch today, as I am looking forward to playing the game during Easter.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Glad they will fixed the factions bug where you could not advance if you became friendly with both the Knights and the protesters and killed the mafia.

I found that my enjoyment of the game was greatest in Defiance Bay and early Stronghold, now it gets a little too grindy and repetitive for my taste, Still, the quests are way better than Wasteland 2 and I really like the whole stronghold and endless dungeon idea.

Shevek

Arcane
Its a shame they arent buffing 1 handed style. Its so bad.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
One handed weapons are a decent choice whenever you're able to spend combat entirely casting spells.

Shevek

Arcane
Not so great of a style if you wanna fight like this guy:
3765466-inigo-montoya-vs-the-six-fingered-man.jpg

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
One handed weapons are a decent choice whenever you're able to spend combat entirely casting spells.
What about non-spellcasting classes? Their special attacks use weapon damage as a base.

Flat DR is just stupid in a game where healing is so severely limited. In most fights DPS doesn't mean squat - you want to pump Acc and nuke things with our opening volley. Otherwise you take more damage and your adventuring day gets shorter. But when dealing with anything that survived, slow two-handed weapons are still better unless it has tons of Def and 0DR.

BTW, I predicted (on Obsidian forums) that it would be this way, i.e. glass cannon ranged parties with a single tank FTW and I posted my observations quite early during BB without even having access to the beta. It's just how such systems always work.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
But do spells actually use your current accuracy? I would have thought, it's simply starting acc+level+spell modifier. Would have made more sense.

I used Ravenwing one-handed as secondary weapon for Pallegina for a while, since she was as accurate with it that way as with her greatsword. but Ravenwing actually did more dmg and has a faster atack rate.

Aenra

Seems like all the big issues will be fixed

This. Was pretty quick, for something seemingly so large. A good start :)
And as far as balance, who cares anyway. With the undoubtedly upcoming "D&D spells replacement" and "TB for PoE"

shut up. Don't say it. Just... shhhh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom