Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Hyperion

Arcane
Champion will be good so long as they remove its focus on Taunt. It used to be an underrated Ascendancy 'till they went and nerfed the entire mechanic without any concern for an Ascendancy whose entire existence depended on it.

Deadeye was lousy, then made worthless when they buffed a 1c Unique bow. God only knows what they can do to fix it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Champion will be good so long as they remove its focus on Taunt. It used to be an underrated Ascendancy 'till they went and nerfed the entire mechanic without any concern for an Ascendancy whose entire existence depended on it.

Deadeye was lousy, then made worthless when they buffed a 1c Unique bow. God only knows what they can do to fix it.
As Berserker has shown they are not afraid to bring in new mechanics so I guess they can do a lot.
Also as Berserker has shown they are not afraid to fuck up the ascendancy completely with new mechanics so lets see how they fucked up others as well :)

frajaq

Erudite
Oh yikes GGG is leaving the final tuning and balancing for the new Ascendancies to these last weeks, this has the potential to be really bad

T. Reich

Arcane
Lol @people expecting GGG to get the "balance" right.

Seriously, I don't think there's been a single time in history of PoE when GGG managed to get the overall "balance" right on major content release.
At this stage, I don't think they even care about that, either. At best, they want to identify and weed out the most blatant cases of feature abuse, but that's the extent of it.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yep. It's pretty much impossible to get the balance right in a game like this anyway, so why bother. It's more about shaking things up enough than balancing perfectly, so as long as we get away from everyone and their mother playing pathfinder, inquisitor or zerker the mission-goal has been met. Nerf the most ridiculous of builds, e.g. GC miners, create a bunch of new uniques that people can go nuts with, and you get a pretty decent new patch.

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, if the zerker ascendancy revamp preview will stay as-is, zerker got pretty much shat on. Attack leech only and a seriously gimped "not-Rampage" mechanic seriously limit zerker's viability for most builds types. You either pick moar damage + leech nodes + warcry, or you go full in with rage, then pick more damage, and then either warcries or the first leech node.
I'm very interested in what they're going to do with inquisitor. Because since the time elementalist got shat on, inquisitor became pretty much THE elemental damage class, especially for casters.
Pathfinder is as strong a pick as usual, but at least there's a strong case for raider for when you don't like to manage your flasks.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
While it may seem a lot weaker than the previous incarnation, zerker will remain one of the top choices for melee damage builds. Right now it's rivaled only by slayer and raider, and I expect both of those to receive some slight nerfs aswell. It's going to be interesting to see whether zerker can bring back ES-based attack builds who will greatly benefit from the rage-mechanic (stun immunity, 100% inc damage, 50% ias, 20% movespeed) while suffering very little (or as a CI-build not at all) from the actual drawback.

ArchAngel

Arcane
While it may seem a lot weaker than the previous incarnation, zerker will remain one of the top choices for melee damage builds. Right now it's rivaled only by slayer and raider, and I expect both of those to receive some slight nerfs aswell. It's going to be interesting to see whether zerker can bring back ES-based attack builds who will greatly benefit from the rage-mechanic (stun immunity, 100% inc damage, 50% ias, 20% movespeed) while suffering very little (or as a CI-build not at all) from the actual drawback.
We will have to test if CI can remove the drawback. If it does, this might actually be a fun ascendancy to play with.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
CI will either remove the drawback entirely, or the damage you take from rage will scale based on your non-CI life similar to how your stun-threshold is calculated. Either way the damage/second is going to be pretty low so some decent regen% combined with zealots oath or ghostreaver/essentia sanguis can take care of it. I'm leaning more towards ZO, because you will definitely need enough regen to off-set the constant damage you will be taking for situations where you cannot leech.

ArchAngel

Arcane
CI will either remove the drawback entirely, or the damage you take from rage will scale based on your non-CI life similar to how your stun-threshold is calculated. Either way the damage/second is going to be pretty low so some decent regen% combined with zealots oath or ghostreaver/essentia sanguis can take care of it. I'm leaning more towards ZO, because you will definitely need enough regen to off-set the constant damage you will be taking for situations where you cannot leech.
Unless ZO then makes it that you lose 20% of your max ES :)

Sykar

Arcane
Does anyone here have 2 spare Brute Force Solution jewels in Standard? I think I screwed up my CwC Whispering Ice Elementalist (4k CI ES /facepalm) and hope I can save her with those two.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also in preparation for this, I tried to make a HoWa CI Berserker in Pob, got 10k ES but bad dps with Spectral Throw (150 00 dps vs map bosses without shocking them). Not sure how people make it good (character would have 750+ Int). With 3.2 Berserker and stacking Rage dps should go up but probably not that much.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
chris wilson confirmed on reddit that the Berserker Rage degen is gonna be reduced, so that's nice I guess

frajaq

Erudite
holy fucking Hierophant GGG

N5tbIkN.jpg

Lsjiqnu.jpg

AjAyFuR.jpg

T. Reich

Arcane
Assassin seems rescued from the shit pile - can go full crit non-poison, no-crit all-poison, or somewhere in between. Whether it's enough to raise it above mediocrity, will be seen.
Hierophant = insane OP for totems. Also an interesting choice for non-totem MoM self-casters now.
Guardian = simple buff, w/e. It was good, it's still good.

Was planning to go triple totem crit DP soul mantle ascendant as my league-starter, might rework the build for hierophant instead now (or might not - immunity to curses so good).

Balor

Arcane
Was planning to go triple totem crit DP soul mantle ascendant as my league-starter, might rework the build for hierophant instead now (or might not - immunity to curses so good).

What's keeping you from going curse-immune, 7-link, 5 totem (with shitload of life) Hierophant, if you already have two Kikazarus?

T. Reich

Arcane
That's curse-resistant, not curse-immune. It's a convenience thing, really, not something important in terms of pure numerical stats.
5 totems would be pretty hilarious though. Would be real hard to maintain peak dps vs aoe-dealing bosses, though - your totems will be dying, you will be moving around avoiding dying, and then there's self-cast wither for that extra beefy dmg boost. Much easier to manage 3 totems.

But I digress. If hierophant variant will show higher damage and survivability potential overall, I will be switching from ascendant.

Balor

Arcane
That's curse-resistant, not curse-immune. It's a convenience thing, really, not something important in terms of pure numerical stats.
5 totems would be pretty hilarious though. Would be real hard to maintain peak dps vs aoe-dealing bosses, though - your totems will be dying, you will be moving around avoiding dying, and then there's self-cast wither for that extra beefy dmg boost. Much easier to manage 3 totems.

But I digress. If hierophant variant will show higher damage and survivability potential overall, I will be switching from ascendant.

Hmm. Note that with 5 totems up you AND your totems get 5% life regen per sec, which I think is pretty huge in terms of survivability, with 50% more totem placement speed on top to greatly help with deploying your totem army.
Plus, you can allocate one totem (or, actually, more at first - for quick charge buildup and then 1 for maintenance) for wither duty and then simply run around doing your best impression of Benny Hill, just stopping for a sec or two for supplying your totems with fresh skeletons, all the while drawing fire away from your totems...
On the other hand, were ascendant reworked passives revealed yet?

T. Reich

Arcane
DD totems will self-cast from own life, no skeleton bullshit.

Btw, I don't want to draw the fire away from my totems - it's the other way around actually. It's much easier to sustain totems than own life.

I'm not arguing whether it's better or worse yet. Ascendant rework hasn't been released, and when it is, it's PoB time.
Then I'll see.

Balor

Arcane
DD totems will self-cast from own life, no skeleton bullshit.

Oh, I see why you are having trouble with keeping your totems alive. It is still viable after self-cast nerf?
EDIT:

Huh, for some crazy reason I thought they removed self-cast damage bonus altogether, but in fact they removed bonus area but damage was not reduced by a lot. So yea, should be still viable without skeletons.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
This is the first of several Ascendancy Classes we are showing that now has seven notable passives in its tree.
This is really interesting because it seems to me that in order to make fairly specialized ascendancies a bit more accessible they are providing more options both offensively and defensively by having a 7th notable on the tree, thus widening the build-possibilities. Can't wait for elementalist/occultist/necro reveals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom