Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Sharpedge

Prophet
Trying out Ruthless and I am enjoying it a fair bit. Slowing the rate of progress down works wonders for PoE.
you motherfucker how did you get in ?

Yeah i can see it pefectly working for POE. I personally played sort of ruthless for a year already but it was constant annoying battle of with my own lizard brain ready to pounce on mix max game destroying fun.

Are there any changes that were not mentioned in manifesto that you found interesting ?
I applied when the announcement was first put up and got lucky. I didn't expect to get in, but hey. There wasn't anything specifically not mentioned in the manifesto that I find interesting, but the most impactful change by far in my opinion is the one to skill gems and that in my opinion should actually go core, I think even the people who don't like the mode and want to zoom would ultimately benefit from it. Not being able to buy support gems and having access to auras heavily restricted changes the pace of the game a lot on its own and in my opinion, for the better. Not only does it slow the pace of the game down, but it actually gives value to gem drops again. In my opinion, the decision when they went 10 acts to add gems to vendors was a mistake and Ruthless underlines this very heavily.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Trying out Ruthless and I am enjoying it a fair bit. Slowing the rate of progress down works wonders for PoE.
you motherfucker how did you get in ?

Yeah i can see it pefectly working for POE. I personally played sort of ruthless for a year already but it was constant annoying battle of with my own lizard brain ready to pounce on mix max game destroying fun.

Are there any changes that were not mentioned in manifesto that you found interesting ?
I applied when the announcement was first put up and got lucky. I didn't expect to get in, but hey. There wasn't anything specifically not mentioned in the manifesto that I find interesting, but the most impactful change by far in my opinion is the one to skill gems and that in my opinion should actually go core, I think even the people who don't like the mode and want to zoom would ultimately benefit from it. Not being able to buy support gems and having access to auras heavily restricted changes the pace of the game a lot on its own and in my opinion, for the better. Not only does it slow the pace of the game down, but it actually gives value to gem drops again. In my opinion, the decision when they went 10 acts to add gems to vendors was a mistake and Ruthless underlines this very heavily.
Game is based around trade, before it was irritating wasting time trading for gems you need. Making access easier is one of the good design decisions. And changes planned for PoE2 around sockets are even better.

Ba'al

Scholar
nice.png
You know what, PoE ain't so bad after all...

ArchAngel

Arcane
If anyone is interested in changes in Ruthless: https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Ruthless_mode

While some ideas here might be cool, most of the changes just make an already overwhelmingly grindy game (compared to D2 or Grim Dawn) even more grindy. This is made for no life streamers or masochists.

I might even try something like this as a challenge to finish the campaign content only but I cba to play through same campaign again while it is much harder and way more irritating. If they keep this for PoE2, I might try it there as my first experience and then start over in normal mode to do mapping.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
While some ideas here might be cool, most of the changes just make an already overwhelmingly grindy game (compared to D2 or Grim Dawn) even more grindy. This is made for no life streamers or masochists.
The fact that ruthless also disabled challenges and migration seems like a clear sign that GGG do not want casuals to interact with it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The fact that ruthless also disabled challenges and migration seems like a clear sign that GGG do not want casuals to interact with it.
PoE is already casual unfriendly game, they also do not want people that like playing aRPGs to interact with it.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
speaking of weirdos, here's one from the perspective of a true degenerate:

she's in a8 already after 9h played. That's probably way too fast for Chris' taste, so expect some more ruthlessness added later.

tl;dw: lack of movement skills is the biggest difference, but it can be a fun mode in a small trade environment with other degens.

Perkel

Arcane
Look at that... actually fighting unique monster and not killing it instantly, handling its minions because they actually take part in battle as you can't kill unique monster in second and don't care about them. Trying to avoid monster attacks and spells.

Almost as if people actually play game.

Vaal side areas do not spawn. Sacrifice Fragments and Vaal Gems must be obtained via other means, such as Vaults of Atziri or Tier 3 Room chests in the Temple of Atzoatl.

Great rework. Vall side areas always sucked and temple reward always sucked. Now vall side areas are gone and temple got buff it needed.

The Eternal Labyrinth (Uber Lab) does not grant additional Ascendancy passive points. This limits a character's maximum number of Ascendancy Notables to 3 on all classes except Ascendant, which can get 2, or 1 and a secondary Starting Point.

Imho still too much. 2 notables max ideally whole ascendancy system gone.

Einhar's Beastcrafting options have been completely changed, now providing crafts for flask enchantments, Talismans, etc.

Another great change.

Playing in a party does not increase item rarity, only item quantity.

Another great change. Improved monster life/attack always felt like shit because each player divides monster attention and people can specialize building team. Meaning their difficulty is actually multiple times lower than single person and somehow those people were rewarded for playing together. Playing with multiple people is easy mode so you should be rewarded as if you would play easy mode.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
You won't be able to increase efficiency of your curses as much and autocasting is getting nerfed forcing you to cast curses with hand if you want them to actually do something.

I fully expect something like "If used by trigger -50% efficiency"

Imho good change. Curses in POE always felt like shit. Either they didn't do anything worthwile because you were not speced or your "curse build" was autocaster. The fact that none of curses in poe actually do something else than just change some stats is entirely different thing. No fascination, no terror, no any curse that does something else than stats.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Spec into curses then get fucked by self cast, what a plan. It'd suck even with minions. I had triple hextouch minion last time, low end DPS on uniques and +1 curse uniques are crappy and you can't roll curse either. Even cluster curse passives suck.

Oh awakened hextouch was +1 curse when it wasn't worthless. Just buy tainted oil early for +1 curse anoint ( 3 gold, lol) on top of +1 curse corrupt then you can't swap it whole league bro.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
The prolonged league made me slack off by playing other games instead of farming. I didn't even play the events (although I hear they weren't exactly amazing). I came back from a 2 month hiatus to try and finish 38/40.

challenges.png

I've had some pretty good luck with some of the required drops, but realistically I'll have to go to trade to finish the Tainted Crafting. I'm waiting for a shorter Lab days to do the 3 uber versions.

It's a good thing that I managed to find a Doriyani's Prototype before going on break. This baby turbo-charged my Lightning Conduit character to almost the same dps levels as my Lightning Strike Champion from the previous league. It's still a shitty character due to lacking defences, but utilizing the free "6 layers of defence" bestowed upon every Soycore player I can blow up most boss encounters.

doryiabi_resists.png

The Curse changes have me cautiously optimistic about next league. If these go through as is, without any hidden nerfs to offset the free damage gains, then the league is going to own. You'll be able to make comfy, fast mappers that can also deal with most non-uber bosses in the game. If they can get the rewards right for the league mechanic, it's gonna be a great league.

Perkel

Arcane
I still don't understand why someone would wish to grind those challenges. I mean they are pretty much pure grind for grind and nothing else.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
No Essence on map device is pretty gay. Will have to rely on Rog for gear. Unless the new league mechanic provides new crafting opportunities. The only way I see them justifying the 13c cost for shitty Ritual is the fact that some of the rares in the window can roll very well, which in a depowered crafting environment is of higher value. Even then, it's still worse than Expedition and that was 12c. Garbinger is so fucking useless without Divine Shards. At least we got Domination back. Weak device overall.

Through some divine intervention I actually found a Tainted Mythic and Chaos orbs and the only lucky drop I need now is an Atlas Memory that I haven't run yet. I keep getting the Garbinger one. I've tried juicing the monster count in hopes of finding one, but my suspicion is that the memories use the old Silver Coin drop mechanic instead.

challenges.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It might just be because people complained so much about essence archnem in last league, they want to let it lie low for a bit. Or it's because the new league reward is a worse version of essences.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
People were farming Essences in T1-5 maps. Archnem had almost no impact there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom