Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder 2e vs. D&D 5e

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
But the thing here is that when you try to climb with DC 15 and roll a 14, it doesn't necessarily mean you fall. Let me quote you the rules:

If the total equals or exceeds the DC, the ability check is a success--the creature overcomes the challenge at hand. Otherwise, it's a failure, which means the character or monster makes no progress toward the objective or makes progress combined with a setback determined by the GM.
I thought you were going to highlight the other part of the quote: makes progress combined with a setback determined by the GM.

If the roll fails, either there should be an interesting consequence, or there shouldn't have been a roll. You don't roll if there aren't multiple possible outcomes. A failed roll can be a pure consequence that still moves the story forward (an obstacle or setback that creates new challenges, or a fork in the story because a door has closed but other paths are open, or just a miss/HP taken in combat), or a success / partial success with a consequence/setback if failure doesn't make sense.

Lagi your GM definitely sucks. Especially for determining outcomes beforehand. I'd never come back to his table unless he was willing to learn and change.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
But the thing here is that when you try to climb with DC 15 and roll a 14, it doesn't necessarily mean you fall. Let me quote you the rules:

If the total equals or exceeds the DC, the ability check is a success--the creature overcomes the challenge at hand. Otherwise, it's a failure, which means the character or monster makes no progress toward the objective or makes progress combined with a setback determined by the GM.
I thought you were going to highlight the other part of the quote: makes progress combined with a setback determined by the GM.

Yeah, both possibilities work. One thing I tend to do is, design challenges that eventually will make a future encounter harder or easier to the players. If they manage to sneak during a dungeon assault, or if they are smart enough to disable certain traps, or if they obtain information or kill enemies, probably certain future battle will be easier. This works especially well if your battles are often deadly, players are very focused on trying to get every possible advantage.

Simple Simon

Scholar
I've played a lot of 1st edition and have both played and GM'ed 2nd edition from levels 1-4. In many ways the game feels the same but mixed with Starfinder in the sense that many abilities have cooldowns. Having to rest to get focus spells back, no more wand spamming, limiting healing ability. The move action economy is what everyone talks about but it hasn't changed that much from a gameplay perspective except nobody does knowledge checks on enemies anymore. Biggest change I've seen is the balance of the classes: by far the most optimal class combination for any adventure is fighter-cleric-wizard-rogue, basically in that order. All of the other classes are weaker versions of those 4.

deuxhero

Arcane
As early as the playtest it was clear Starfinder (and the non-class parts of PF Unchained) were all just prototypes for PF2E.

deuxhero

Arcane
Indeed, even though he's built in the most utterly incompetent way possible, the iconic fighter still has a strength score of 16.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I was reading through PF 2e edition rules and liked the action economy stuff on paper. Multiattacking doesn't seem automatically the obvious thing to do in every scenario and making the enemy waste action to movement to prevent 3 action specials and such seem like a big upgrade compared to 5th edition. But did I understand this correctly that both weapon and armor proficiency scale linearly through level, giving +1 to attack rolls and AC respectively? Why on earth is that kind of number bloat in there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom