Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Pathfinder 2e

catfood

AGAIN
ITZ coming!

They will be starting the playtest soon. http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5lkl9?First-Look-at-the-Pathfinder-Playtest

There's a blog post about actions: http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5lklh?All-About-Actions

It's your turn. You get to take three actions. That's it. You want to move three times? Done. Instead you want to move once, draw your sword, and attack? No problem. How about attack three times? Go ahead (but you'll take an increasing penalty for each additional attack). With only a few notable exceptions, most things in the game now take one action to accomplish. Opening a door, drawing a weapon, reloading a crossbow, moving up to your speed, raising your shield, taking a guarded step, swinging your greataxe—all of these and much more take just one action to perform.

I wonder how backwards compatible with the old materials like Bestiaries this will be.

Personally I'm hoping for a more streamlined version of the old system so that combat doesn't take such a long time anymore especially after, like, level 10.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder how it changed. I do like Starfinder rules. I don't know when or even if we will play a Pathfinder game since 5e is so easy to play. Right now, I'm on my longest campaign ever - 45 sessions and they are barely 9th level.

Andhaira

Arcane
They are copying a lot of stuff from 5e it seems, such as unified proficiency progression and lesser reliance on magic items (albeit it would seem they will still depend on PCs having more magic items than 5e which sucks) Hopefully Magus will be a core class.

Infinitron Any word from the Kingmaker PC game people on this? Will they be using the 1e version or switch to this? (I assume the former as I don't think they are paying anything to Paizo for using Pathfinder and so Paizo likely won't be giving them early access to the rules)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Dev blog about conditions: http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5lkuz?Conditions
Some of our other conditions speak directly to the new action system for the game. The two big ones here are quick and slowed, which increase and decrease your number of actions. When you're quick, you gain one extra action per turn that you can use in one or more ways, according to the effect that made you quick! For instance, a 20th-level monk with Enduring Quickness is permanently quick, and can use the extra action to Stride, to Leap, or as part of a High Jump or Long Jump. The haste spell makes its target quick, and lets them use the extra action to Stride or Strike. So, if our 20th-level monk benefited from haste, he would add Strike to his list of options for the extra action from the quick condition as long as the haste spell was in effect. Conversely, slowed removes actions and prevents the creature from readying actions. This, like accelerated above, is an example of a condition that comes with a condition value to indicate how severe the condition is. So, a creature that becomes slowed 1 loses 1 action per turn, a slowed 2 creature loses 2, and so on. These aren't cumulative, so if your barbarian gets slowed 2 by one creature and slowed 1 by another, she loses only 2 actions.

Let's look at some other conditions that have condition values! The frightened condition has a higher value the more scared you are, and this value is also the conditional penalty you take to your checks and saving throws. So if you're frightened 2, you take a –2 penalty to checks and saves. There's some good news, though, because fear tends to pass after the initial shock. Frightened's condition value decreases by 1 at the end of each of your turns, until it reaches 0 and goes away. This condition covers all types of fear, so there's no more shaken or panicked. Frightened doesn't automatically make you run away, but some effects give you the fleeing condition as well, potentially for as long as you remain frightened! The sick condition is similar to frightened in that it gives you a penalty to the same rolls, but it's more severe for two reasons. First off, you're too sick to drink anything—including potions! Moreover, it doesn't go away on its own. Instead, you have to spend an action retching in an attempt to recover, which lets you attempt a new save to end the sickness.
Pathfinder 2e is looking more and more like what would happen if J.E. Sawyer was tasked with redesigning D&D.

Xorphitus

Scholar
Downloaded the playtest today and they are sure to let you know that the new edition of the game is supposed to be a safespace.

"A character whose concept and
mannerisms are racist tropes, for example, is exceptionally
harmful and works against the goal of providing fun for
all. A roleplaying style in which a player or character is
constantly interrupting others or treating certain players
or characters with condescension is similarly unacceptable.
Furthermore, standards of respect don’t vanish simply
because you’re playing a character in a fantasy game.
For example, it’s never acceptable to refer to another
person using an offensive term or a slur, and doing so
“in character” is just as bad as doing so directly. If your
character’s concept requires you act this way, that’s a good
sign your concept is harmful, and you have a responsibility
to change it. Sometimes, you might not realize that your
character concept or roleplaying style is making others
feel unwelcome at the gaming table. If another player
tells you that your character concept or roleplaying style
makes them uncomfortable, you shouldn’t argue about
what they should or shouldn’t find offensive or say that
what you’re doing is common (and therefore okay) among
players or in other media. Instead, you should simply stop
and make sure the game is a fun experience for everyone.
After all, that’s what gaming is about!"

Bocian

Arcane
"A character whose concept and mannerisms are racist tropes, for example, is exceptionally harmful and works against the goal of providing fun for all.

So playing elves is not allowed?

Ranarama

Learned
A roleplaying style in which a player or character is

It's like these assholes have never actually played a role playing game before.

Alex

Arcane
Whenever a new edition of what is supposed to be a D&D like game comes out, there is a test I like to apply to see if it could be any good. Check the charm person spell (or equivalen;, if there is none, then probably the game failed the test).

Pathfinder Reference Document said:
CHARM PERSON

School enchantment (charm) [mind-affecting]; Level bard 1, sorcerer/wizard 1

Casting Time 1 standard action

Components V, S

Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Target one humanoid creature

Duration 1 hour/level

See that 1 hour level duration? This spell originally could last for months; years if the target was not too bright or high-level. Reducing the duration of the spell like this takes away from it the ability to use it for long term plots. On a level 1 spell. Of course, that is just one spell, but whenever I see the duration of charm person reduced so drastically, I expect the system is way too concerned with "balance" and usually doesn't have anything worth the hurdle of actually checking it out.

Despite this, I actually tried to see what Pathfinder was like. I was even excited there was a book out that had rules for long term actions such as spell research or managing your organization (kingdom/thief's guild/temple/etc). Right until I read it had rules for retraining your level choices. That stuff is bad enough in MMOs, it really shouldn't be brought to tabletop gaming, where it is just ridiculous. To make it clear, I would have no problem with rules that allowed you to exchange gold and time to earn skill points, a feat or even an attribute point. in fact, I would welcome them. Gurps had those since at least 3rd edition (probably earlier, but I don't the books from earlier editions), and it didn't break the game.

My point here is that a game that takes away from AD&D a lot of the interesting bits and worries about making combat balanced somehow is useless for me. There might be something cool or interesting buried there somewhere, but as far as playing the game goes, I'm still better off playing 2e or some retroclone (possibly drawing some stuff from Hackmaster). Given what I've heard from 2nd edition so far, I expect they will go even further down the balance path, so I don't think it will be worth checking out the books; though to be sure, it is very nice of them letting you check out all that stuff on the internet first.

Anyway, here is a particularly funny bit I found on Pathfinder that highlights this problem:

Pathfinder Reference Document said:
IMMOVABLE ROD

Aura moderate transmutation; CL 10th

Slot none; Price 5,000 gp; Weight 5 lbs.

DESCRIPTION

This rod looks like a flat iron bar with a small button on one end. When the button is pushed (a move action), the rod does not move from where it is, even if staying in place defies gravity. Thus, the owner can lift or place the rod wherever he wishes, push the button, and let go. Several immovable rods can even make a ladder when used together (although only two are needed). An immovable rod can support up to 8,000 pounds before falling to the ground. If a creature pushes against an immovable rod, it must make a DC 30 Strength check to move the rod up to 10 feet in a single round.
(snip...)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Downloaded the playtest today and they are sure to let you know that the new edition of the game is supposed to be a safespace.

"A character whose concept and
mannerisms are racist tropes, for example, is exceptionally
harmful and works against the goal of providing fun for
all. A roleplaying style in which a player or character is
Furthermore, standards of respect don’t vanish simply
because you’re playing a character in a fantasy game.
For example, it’s never acceptable to refer to another
person using an offensive term or a slur, and doing so
“in character” is just as bad as doing so directly. If your
character’s concept requires you act this way, that’s a good
sign your concept is harmful, and you have a responsibility
to change it. Sometimes, you might not realize that your
character concept or roleplaying style is making others
feel unwelcome at the gaming table. If another player
tells you that your character concept or roleplaying style
makes them uncomfortable, you shouldn’t argue about
what they should or shouldn’t find offensive or say that
what you’re doing is common (and therefore okay) among
players or in other media. Instead, you should simply stop
and make sure the game is a fun experience for everyone.
After all, that’s what gaming is about!"
I'll bet the person who drafted this gem is just pure joy to play with.

Alex

Arcane
I don't understand the legal issues all that well, but I believe you don't need the OGL (or anything, really) to use any specific mechanics, but you do need it to use certain names in your rule system. For instance, having levels and a defensive score that increases according to a specific formula based on class, level and attributes is something that any game could do, OGL or not. On the other hand, calling it a Saving Throw might open you up to lawsuits if you don't use the OGL license.

Of course, you probably want to keep using the names your players are used to. In fact, some people blame part of the failure of Dangerous Journeys, Gary Gygax game made after he left TSR, on the need to make up new names for things D&D players already knew.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom