Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by Ruchy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Hermit Novice

Hermit
    Thanks everyone!

^ Top  
  2. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well, once per rest is only an issue on tiny maps/random encounters. It lasts very long otherwise. And in those random encounters you don't always absolutely need it.

As for Crane Style, yeah, Defensive Fighting costs 2 AB with it (just 1 AB with all 3 feats). Much better deal then the regular -4 AB though.
    As for Combat Expertise, nothing is stopping an unarmored build from using it also. In fact I pick it at level 1 (rarely use it though).

No bonus spell slots, true. But do you really need them, just for buffs? (only self-buffs in my case, but you could take Infusion to buff others too).

^ Top  
  3. Ent Savant

Ent
    Mutagen being 10 min per level is more than enough for most dungeons and it becomes 1 hour per level at lvl 14 which is pretty overkill. Also, don't forget that barkskin stacks natural armor with mutagen and also lasts for quite a long time.

^ Top  
  4. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Of course it can, my point is that there are +1 AC feats that can be taken by both. It is important in this discussion. Not to mention that Dodge is superior because it leads to other useful feats such as Crane Style.

Congrats, you have ONE feat that a Dex tanker can't use. Guess what, a Dex tanker can keep improving his AC by improving his Dex at a cost of 0 feats, whereas a Heavy Armor tanker can't do that because Heavy Armor limits your Dex bonus to AC severel. Unless he's a fighter, in which case, well, he's a Fighter, end of discussion.

^ Top  
  5. The Avatar Pseudodragon Studios Developer

The Avatar
    I'm playing a str-based vivi and it's pretty great walking around gibbing everything in one shot. AC is not as good as Dex based vivi, but damage is a lot more- at least until very late game when dual-wielding sneak attack die gets high enough. I think of the str vivi as a fighter with extra sneak attack damage and some spells.

^ Top  
  6. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Let's not forget better defenses and potential crit/sneak/paralysis/cold resistance.

^ Top  
  7. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Combat Expertise requires 13 INT, which is absolute shit on most stat arrays for plate users.

• NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Incendax Augur

Incendax
    This is true, but it is FAR more common on the main character who wants the extra skill points.

^ Top  
  9. Ent Savant

Ent
    Is the bug which causes bucklers to turn off slashing/fencing grace still occurring?

^ Top  
  10. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Pfft 10 or 7 int is optimal.

^ Top  
  11. Funposter Magister

Funposter
    Is it worth putting a point of INT into Amiri so she can self-cast Enlarge Person and Expeditious Retreat, after taking the level in Vivi?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Incendax Augur

Incendax
    Optimal for what? You can win every fight, winning every skill check is much harder.
    Explorationfag >>>> Combatfag.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Get an item or something. Plus you care so much about 1 minute buffs? Have someone else cast it. If you really want some spells, get True Strike.

^ Top  
  14. Funposter Magister

Funposter
    Yeah I just found a headband and stuck it on her.

^ Top  
  15. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    That's a fair point I guess. Optimal for combat, then.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    So im using the respec mod to respec the party into shape, keep aligments, attribute rolls and class selection more or less in place. Maybe ill turn a cleric into an inquisitor but with the same deity.

Ive ran into a fucking wall with this cunt valerie tho. No idea what to do with her. Turning her into a pure fighter seems objectively better, tower shields are just not worth the hassle. She obviously cant be a spellcaster. Thinking of just giving her some rogue levels, changing her to finesse character and praying the sneak attack makes her not suck. Mithril full plate plus finesseable longsword seem like the way to go.

Any suggestions?

^ Top  
  17. ga♥ Augur

ga♥
    Make her a sorcerer for the lulz.

^ Top  
  18. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Paladin of Shelyn of course.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Valerie is a perfect Stalwart Defender. She's got highest AC on my team by far and she can take hits with her special SD defensive stance. She's great and a core member of my group even when I shift in other characters. Gotta have that tank AC.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Incendax Augur

Incendax
    She rocks as a Fighter1/Knife Master or Water Kinetic Knight.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    If you have the wild cards dlc, go kinetic knight. She can fill the same niche, but can get some better CC options and can target touch AC.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    That's a pretty good idea.
    However note that if you're are somewhat melee focused, a KK will suck in relation to Attack of Opportunity and melee combo building with feats like Outflank and Seize the Moment.
    On the other hand, with Earth and Bouldering, she could aoe trip, providing plenty of AoOs for others with reach.

^ Top  
  23. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    I wanted to make a magus Eldritch Scion with Abyssal bloodline since I've noticed that many of the abilities would be very useful in melee. However later on I've noticed that Magus spellist has no summoning spells (previously I though that magus just uses Arcane spellist), which means that Abyssal summoning bonuses (DR, and Added Summoning) will be wasted until I get free Summon Monster spells later on - is that a huge issue?

^ Top  
  24. Seari Cipher Patron

Seari
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You take the abyssal bloodline for the strength bonuses not for summoning.

^ Top  
  25. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    IMO skip Abyssal. Go for dragon for a little more power on elemental spells, later on wings and some Str and AC bonuses. Perhaps better yet, Arcane, for 3 extra spells from Wizard lists.

Or just skip ES and go with one of the superior Magus archetypes: standard Magus for more casting focus and spammable spells or Sword Saint for more martial focus and tanking capability, particularly dex based.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.