Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Edition - turn-based combat coming August 18th

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by Elex, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's not clear at all. Companions get boosts from their quests. Stats are cheap in any case and dumpstating isn't really a thing. Mercs are gimped full stop. You may not like it, but trying to make mercs happen isn't going to change it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    ^ Top  
  2. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Sinners and tax collectors. You can influence them. Well, it can happen in game. If you're so quick to hate I doubt that would interest you.

^ Top  
  3. Pink Eye Monk

Pink Eye
    Yeah. I understand. For what's worth, you can influence them to act differently, through their quests, and when you talk to them.

^ Top  
  4. AdamReith Learned Patron

AdamReith
    Hate is a strong word. I guess when everything else is, all things considered, pretty flawless the issues with the companions stick out in harsh relief. I mean they are in another league to the characters in for example PoE or Tyranny but certainly in chapter 1 there weren't any hooks to get me invested in them over a character I rolled myself.

^ Top  
  5. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    The writing is good, but it is going to take a while before it convinces you. I had similar thoughts as you at the beginning, but now (dozens of hours later, in Act 3), I have changed my mind. It takes a while to pick up, which is not our fault. But it is good.

That said, the companions, and especially the early companions, are the weakest side of it. I still can't stand Val and Amiri, even though Amiri's quest just became interesting.

My advice is: Stick to the companions, have the companions that you find fun replace the ones you don't like (my two favorite companions are met in Act 2), but do everyone's quests.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Has her moments of dumb hilarity. Her VA does deliver.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    No matter what you think about others but Linzi is just the cutest..
    Show Spoiler
    except when she robs you :D
    Show Spoiler
    Or leaves you in endgame :D

^ Top  
  8. Pink Eye Monk

Pink Eye
    I never understood that though. Why a damn book. WHY A BOOK! WHHHY! BEST BARD! A BOOK! Still pissed about that.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    In my first run of engame I had her in my party
    Show Spoiler
    and didn't really have a replacement for her heh. I got used to massive bonuses from Good Hope+Bard Song. I also multiclassed her into archer EK and she did very good damage. I had to take Ekun instead and while his ranged output was similar he had none of the party wide buffs she would provide

^ Top  
  10. Pink Eye Monk

Pink Eye
    Yup.
    Show Spoiler
    Losing her crippled my first playthrough, as she was by far my best bard. She had access to all the good buffs and spells. It wasn't very fun losing her like that. I couldn't even get a replacement because I had grown so dependent on her. I mean how could I not? I used her through the whole game.

^ Top  
  11. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    That’s fair in retrospect. All ch. 2 chars are very good.

^ Top  
  12. CoronerZg Educated

CoronerZg
    I kind of hate that some companions are forced upon you... I'm playing selfish no-nonsense evil MC and since Linzi picked team hobbit at the start of the game I left her in the Kobold prison and later told her to GTFO, but no, she's all funny and cute and won't leave and I can't do shit about her hanging around my throne room. And then she f...ing robs me and I STILL can't take her head off or at least banish her. Yay. And that everyone's favorite goblin at some point also got in the throne room saying I'm sitting on his throne so I told my guards to hang him and yet he is still alive and well, just chilling outside. And the game is generally pretty good at letting me play the way I want - I even hanged that dwarf artisan for making demands cause I didn't know about artisans and the cool items they make for you... and he's of course not well and chilling outside (well okay, technically, he is chilling outside :M)

^ Top  
  13. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    This game is Revenge of the Bard.

EK isn’t very good because you’re still stuck with slow spell progression and you lose song DC and the good high level songs. She can do damage fine on routine fights as a straight Bard. On hard fights she should be casting anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Selfish Evil people are all about forcing themselves and their shit on everyone else.

Suck it up, buttercup.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Dorf Relic Helm casts Good Hope and there are several wands.

^ Top  
  16. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Two more questions for +1,5K hours playas:

1. What's the selling point of an archaeologist? I see it mentioned a lot, but it seems kinda sucky compared to vanilla bard?
    2. In your opinion, what would be the best base class for duelist? Sword saint?

^ Top  
  17. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    1. Trickery per level, can take ten on Trickery checks, including ones for half mil EXP. Uncanny Dodge at lvl 2, Evasion later, Luck stacks with most everything. It’s not Archaeologist or Bard, it’s and.

Class is currently bugged since Archaeologists Luck doesn’t linger.

2. SS is a busted class, Duelist is overkill. Unfortunately both Duelist and Swordlord lose out to opportunity cost.

You could take some levels of Duelist on Eldritch Scoundrel to give you some extra AC and damage, but probably not worth it. I’ve tried to make Parry/Riposte work and it’s too much trouble for what you get.

Parry only triggers on an attack that would otherwise hit, which makes Riposte pretty bad but could theoretically stop you* getting hit even on Nat 20s if you can get your AB up high enough.

* - or someone else with Parry (other) at another minus 4.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Pardon monsieur, but what does "busted class" mean exactly? Yeah, eldritch scoundrel was my second bet, sneak attack is so hilariously op that taking a class without it seems like you're gimping yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Pink Eye Monk

Pink Eye
    >Busted class
    He's implying the class is strong.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Sneak Attack isn't hilariously OP. It's about average for this game, and often unreliable when you most need it.

Ninj is my Slayer MC who can't sneak these Demons:

Harrim'sDestructiveAura.jpg

• nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    I use archaeologist (and dd 4) as a different way to get uncanny dodge and mirror image for my monk 1/shield-bashing slayer x. Again, far from OP, but I like chars that feel fairly well rounded.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    Started getting into the kingdom management. It's a lot to take in, but not overwhelming. When I was younger I had always wished there was more to the strongholds in BG2, so it feels like this may be what I asked for. I refused the guild leaders offer for BP. I've got nearly 10K after selling my loot to the Storyteller, bringing me to about 30K. I have yet to sell all my other loot at the other merchants. I should be able to buy quite a decent sum of BP. Regongar is testing my patience. I've spoken with him not more than three times, and each and every time he opens up with some unprovoked and shameless faggotry. He's supposedly some gritty, weaponized, slave with rage in his heritage, yet all of his opening comments are about wanting to kiss me. What? It's very out of place and jarring. He's on notice for exile. That aside, the DLC companion seems more interesting than I originally supposed. There may soon be a vacancy for her to fill.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    EK archer is as valid as pure bard. As pure bard you need to go casting, with EK you can go archery feats. You lose a bit with weaker bard song but you get more with full BAB and more feats. And you don't lose that much casting, you are casting buffs anyways because you are focusing into Dex and not Charisma. Bard song + Good Hope + Haste all comes from that bard and she does same or more than Ekun. And then if you do need it she can buff even more or dispel shit that Ekun cannot.
    Of course you can use both Ekun and Linzi.

^ Top  
  24. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    This time I found a bug that makes us stronger. Invulnerable Rager class has innate DR. And if you pick up Increased DR rage power it gets added to this DR even if you are not in Rage :D
    By lvl 20 this character can have 16 DR vs all damage because of this.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Other than Good Hope Bards aren't really buffers. Early game their Enchantments own weak Will mobs (Slow is a beast all game), late their Sonic attacks own weak Fort. Ranged puts you in poor position for your songs/cone spells and you lose DEX to damage/another Outflanker.

In any case, even if you want to go ranged (late game Sense Vitals spam isn't bad) EK buys you next to nothing while losing a ton. EK + slow spell progression = bad. You'd be better off just going EA if you're determined to go that way. I've got Jub at Alch 16/Freebooter 4 so that's another thing you can do if you want the extra attack on the top end.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.