Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Erikkolai

Learned
Why does everyone want to jump to ridiculous conclusions before they even play the fucking game?

Desiderius: "Game's harder without a bard. But if you make Val a bard, she'll be able to tank."
Me: "If bards are the best tanks, I'm overwhelmed by despair at how retarded this game is."
Desiderius: "Reeee you're jumping to ridiculous conclusions!"

:hmmm:

It was a value judgment based on what you implied yourself.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, I would like Mr. Desiderius to educate me on how the initial loan that makes all the buildings more expensive and requires a special project to repay is advanateougs for Kingdom Management. For example, how it allows to get Aviaries and / or Teleportation network before, say, the Season of Bloom or right after it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, I would like Mr. Desiderius to educate me on how the initial loan that makes all the buildings more expensive and requires a special project to repay is advanateougs for Kingdom Management. For example, how it allows to get Aviaries and / or Teleportation network before, say, the Season of Bloom or right after it.

So you're too lazy to educate yourself on the time value of money?

You'd have to spend 2000 BP before the buildings are more expensive (net of the 500 BP you get up front) by which time you're swimming in cash and buildings are sadly irrelevant. You can even spam two settlements worth of buildings before the penalty kicks in, so it's even more advantageous.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Since i have doubt about this part of your posting - maybe you are serious here. So i will ask:
What exactly is this "modern technology" you talk about? Tech that is available circa 2020 but wasn't available around when Infinity Engine games were made 20 years earlier. Also it has be a relevant tech and one used in any "modern" CRPGs in practice, at that.

I took a troll's bait but what the hell. I want to hear a troll's answer to that question.

It is pretty simple, really. In 2020 vidya games look like this:

So any proper CRPG should have similar production values. I would gladly play a Baldur's Gate successor in first person view (like Skyrim) but with companions (like Mass Effect or The Outer Worlds). THAT would be a proper spiritual successor.

Darko

Educated
obsolete_technology.png

Darko

Educated
You know, it is not the same thing. Nuclear weapons are in a different category of weapon than small firearms (and fireworks). This is an apples-to-oranges comparison, though i suppose for retards who are easily impressed by a cartoon this can be used in place of an argument.
It's exactly the same thing, in the sense that isometrics like Baldur's gate are a different category of games compared to Skyrim.

Erikkolai

Learned
Installed. Some initial thoughts:
  • I see that this game thanks the 'RPG Codex' on the opening screen. That sets off some alarm bells (it's a haven for white supremacists & toxic gamers in general).
  • This game has the most comfy menu & options settings I can remember seeing.
  • Oh no, these portraits are nowhere close to the char I had in mind, and I still have PTSD from finding custom portraits for BG & NWN.
  • My char can be left-handed! Finally some representation of the superior primary hand.
  • I've chosen Hard difficulty and won't use any ludicrous 'bard tank'. Go fuck yourselves doubters! :argh:
Currently pleasuring myself with the char creation. I've got an Excel spreadsheet on the 2nd screen and am already up to 4 tabs.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
  • I see that this game thanks the 'RPG Codex' on the opening screen. That sets off some alarm bells (it's a haven for white supremacists & toxic gamers in general).
  • This game has the most comfy menu & options settings I can remember seeing.
  • Oh no, these portraits are nowhere close to the char I had in mind, and I still have PTSD from finding custom portraits for BG & NWN.
  • My char can be left-handed! Finally some representation of the superior primary hand.
  • I've chosen Hard difficulty and won't use any ludicrous 'bard tank'. Go fuck yourselves doubters! :argh:
Currently pleasuring myself with the char creation. I've got an Excel spreadsheet on the 2nd screen and am already up to 4 tabs.
Show us your Character you schmuck.

Erikkolai

Learned
Is this another Porky who will spam this thread with his ... unorthodox ideas about this game?

Unorthodox? I've absorbed the collective wisdom of this thread, and the existence of a bard tank gravely offends me. Images of a flamboyant flute-playing fag, dancing up towards the Gates of Mordor to handle the aggro, violates my mind. If the limp-wristed gamers here stoop to using a bard tank just to insert a MacGuffin (in this case probably some sort of degenerate aphrodisiac) into a nymph so that she'll start spreading her legs again, I want no part of it. I'll rather suffer through the game in a testosteroneous way, without sending a little chubby-cheeked minstrel like Linzi to do a job that properly belongs to a Patriarchal Champion.

:terminate:

Show us your Character you schmuck.

Nowhere close to that yet. Doubt I'll actually start playing until next weekend (summer vacation begins), and I'll inevitably reroll a few times as I'm learing. Will post whatever character I'll settle on here.

Efe

Erudite
you dont have to multiclass. pick a class and roll with it.
On normal difficulty game lets you reroll your character.
You can also get mercs ala custom chars. better to get them early.
bards are in no way related to nyrissa ending.

look at pink eye's videos where he made that little chubby-cheeked minstrel linzi into a frontline fighter. thats on unfair difficulty. As you are now, you probably wont make it past tutorial area at that difficulty.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Keep us posted, I'll definitely enjoy your attempts to stumble through the game. Especially if your reading comprehension is at the level you've displayed in this thread so far.

Just try not to get filtered by the tutorial. Try to last until the spiders, at least.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Just try not to get filtered by the tutorial. Try to last until the spiders, at least.
Come to think of it - with the nerf of the swarms, what are other hard filters in Act 1? Only the ones related to the plot?
the existence of a bard tank gravely offends me. Images of a flamboyant flute-playing fag, dancing up towards the Gates of Mordor to handle the aggro, violates my mind.
Well, you're ignoring both the character and her build. What about this (warning: spoilers for end game items):
Imagine a stunningly beautiful blonde woman in gold armour that shines like the surface of the lake in the sunlight. No helm hides her beauty, for she wears an intricate tiara that radiates its own light. This light makes her face so beautiful that it can only be the face of an angel, not a mortal woman (Headband of Alluring Charisma +4). When she calls for attack her battlecry is not a roar, but a beautiful song that fills the hearts of her allies with resolve. The enemies tremble before the sound of her voice, and her shining golden armour seems to sing in unison with her (Singing Steel Breastplate). She is invincible behind her tower shield which she wields with grace that can only be achieved by years of training (TSS level 5). Anyone unfortunate enough to cross her path sees unyielding determination (Lawful Neutral, INT 9) in her icy blue eyes with strange sparks and feels inhuman strength of her blows (4 levels of DD, +4 STR). And that is the last her enemies see and feel in their lives.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Unorthodox? I've absorbed the collective wisdom of this thread, and the existence of a bard tank gravely offends me. Images of a flamboyant flute-playing fag, dancing up towards the Gates of Mordor to handle the aggro, violates my mind.
Think Skald, a warrior that carves his enemies into pieces then sings of the tale, with heroic embellishments naturally, to all who'll listen in a nearby tavern while he drowns himself in ale.

Not all bards are pansies who play the lute.

Not that I particularly rate the Bard as a tank, mind you

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm tempted to trust Desiderius, look past my 1st impressions, and try out the game this summer. Mostly because I can't find anything else to play, and because the character creation system gives me a bit of a boner.

The polyamorous orc-fucking Felicia Day, and the disgustingly cute Linzi kid, will likely remain consigned to my companion trash bin though. But I'll keep an open mind about the other ones.

One potentially dealbreaking question remains...

Was TemplarGR right that the main plot is to obtain a MacGuffin which helps a nymph slut spread her legs again?

You know that reading a wiki about RPG you intend to play (or probably any story-heavy game), spoiling all its characters and main plot, is one absolutely dumb and most ridiculous thing you can do?
If you tried the game and do not like it, just drop it. And if you are so afraid to spend money on dirt cheap 2-years-old game on some sale then just pirate it for a demo (and that comes from someone who buys 10x more games than plays).

Technomancer

Liturgist
Holy shit, just started a run into Tenebrous Depth in story with bag of tricks enabled, I used it to made all perception checks to auto succeed. And basically every level has tons of unused secret rooms behind fake walls, all of them empty and some inaccessible (invisible wall). In vanilla game the DC for them is probably set up to be so high that you can never discover them. Are these remnants from some cut content or TD is just semi-random and uses some of the rooms in different playthroughs?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Are these remnants from some cut content or TD is just semi-random and uses some of the rooms in different playthroughs?
TD is always the same in main campaign. But it was probably built from the same blocks as randomized dungeon in rogue-like mode, so switching on/off some rooms in the block with impossible Perception checks and walls could be a part of an area-generating algorithm.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Actually to be more accurate, naked Sword Saints make the best tanks (with one level monk) :P

Xamenos

Magister
Patron

Actually to be more accurate, naked Sword Saints make the best tanks (with one level monk) :P
You're implying there was any accuracy at all in his "ludicrous bard tank" statement in the first place, when it was originally based on a (willful?) misreading of what Desiderius wrote.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, bards get Mirror Image, so can be above average tanks, I guess. Particularly when multiclassed.

Erikkolai

Learned
This game minimizes itself (and interrupts audio) when I'm alt-tabbing over to my secondary monitor. I'd like for it to remain open, preferably with uninterrupted audio, on my primary one.

When other games act like this, I usually fix it by running the game in windowed mode, and using a ShiftWindow rule to improvize borderless mode. That mostly works for this game, but it leaves a bit of the window border, and the audio is still interrupted when I alt-tab.

Not really a big deal. But do any of you know a better way to make it run in borderless without minimization & audio interruption on alt-tabbing?

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
This game minimizes itself (and interrupts audio) when I'm alt-tabbing over to my secondary monitor. I'd like for it to remain open, preferably with uninterrupted audio, on my primary one.

When other games act like this, I usually fix it by running the game in windowed mode, and using a ShiftWindow rule to improvize borderless mode. That mostly works for this game, but it leaves a bit of the window border, and the audio is still interrupted when I alt-tab.

Not really a big deal. But do any of you know a better way to make it run in borderless without minimization & audio interruption on alt-tabbing?
Doesn't the in-game borderless window option work? Or does it interact weirdly with you having two monitors?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom