Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Erikkolai

Learned
This game minimizes itself (and interrupts audio) when I'm alt-tabbing over to my secondary monitor. I'd like for it to remain open, preferably with uninterrupted audio, on my primary one.

When other games act like this, I usually fix it by running the game in windowed mode, and using a ShiftWindow rule to improvize borderless mode. That mostly works for this game, but it leaves a bit of the window border, and the audio is still interrupted when I alt-tab.

Not really a big deal. But do any of you know a better way to make it run in borderless without minimization & audio interruption on alt-tabbing?
Doesn't the in-game borderless window option work? Or does it interact weirdly with you having two monitors?

It works in a sense, but not how I prefer. Alt-tabbing while in borderless window mode (with 2 monitors) tends to behave very differently from game to game.

In P:K, when use alt-tab to switch focus over to my 2nd monitor (to check spreadsheet, browser, etc.), the game becomes minimized on the 1st monitor (so I see my wallpaper there). In the majority of other games I play, the game will remain open on my 1st monitor.

Another inconvenience is that there doesn't seem to be hotkeys for the formations window, the ability bar, the belt bar, or the encyclopedia. Aside from that it seems like a damn comfy game so far though, I'm impressed with the UI and settings.

... and thank God the 'bards are essential for tanking' thing was a misunderstanding.

:shredder:

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kek. I spent the whole day trying to fight the Stag Lord, Paladin, Owlbear, Bandits, and the two assassins all at once. Not possible with my party set up. Hehehe. Time to unleash the zombie horde and do some persuasion checks hehe.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Bwaha. This was super fun though. Picking them off one by one.
aspTIER.png

mzNspBj.png

IRMjzBb.png

JKWPtZe.png

Well it WAS fun. Until I realized that if you aggro the cleric you aggro the stag lord as well :(

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It is pretty simple, really. In 2020 vidya games look like this:

So any proper CRPG should have similar production values. I would gladly play a Baldur's Gate successor in first person view (like Skyrim) but with companions (like Mass Effect or The Outer Worlds). THAT would be a proper spiritual successor.

You are you now talking about two things:
a) In what perspective the game world is shown. But your claim in previous post, was verbatim that there are "new technologies" that weren't available when IE games were made. I know that it will sound like a surprise to You but first person perspective (also in CRPGs) existed for quite some time already by the late 90s. So, by any stretch of imagination, that isn't a "new technology" that was only developed after IE games were made. In short you failed to substantiate Your claim.
b) As to "production values" or polygon count or however one names it. It is your other main defining quality of what makes a, as you said, "proper crpg". You claim that only crpg worth playing are the ones that have the "similar production values" to a game not yet released, made by a major studio (major at least in this genre) that is known from putting a lot of their effort in graphics. By doing so You are claiming that majority of crpg being made today (and obviously in the past, even just a few years back) are not "proper crpg".
I pity you, I sincerely do. Or I would, if i believed that you are not a troll. You voluntarily reduced your choice of games in genre You like (I assume that for the sake of argument) to literally a handful. Because of arbitrary requirements of only one select view perspective and the very top production quality (again, in the genre) graphics.

See, as i said to You before. To make good troll you need not to make only statements that couldn't possibly be made by a person intelligent enough to breath. You also need statements that are almost sensible or at least might look as such on the first glance. Then and only then you can make a "proper crpg troll" post. You simply need that "new technology" of "high production trolling" to do that. Any old-school trolling won't do. I still have faith in You (as a troll).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Installed. Some initial thoughts:
  • I've chosen Hard difficulty and won't use any ludicrous 'bard tank'. Go fuck yourselves doubters! :argh:

Actually to be more accurate, naked Sword Saints make the best tanks (with one level monk) :P

I killed the worm thing under TD, fucked the nymph, and killed the pumpkin on challenging (less than 1% of people got this chivo!) using this character. Without a doubt the best tank. Also the highest damage dealer unless Octavia gets some lucky rolls. Go figure.

Last edited:

amurath

Educated

Ulfhednar

Savant
Also whats going to be better about "Official" TB mode than the mod?
I think it's also supposed to show exact movement paths and potential AoO along the way.

Edit: "Once again, we want to stress out that our new CRPG is designed and balanced for RTWP, but with that, we're aiming to develop a turn-based mode to bring the game closer to a tabletop experience and give more control over combat for those of you, who prefer to play turn-by-turn. You will be able to control every action your characters take. More than that, we want to give you more tools to plan ahead and employ tactics based on your party's unique composition and abilities. You will be able to switch between modes on the fly, without the need to reload the location, which will give you the ability to fight any encounter in either mode at any moment.

There is still much work to do: we took the user mod as a starting point, and then we spent a long time reconsidering the interface, and also adding some useful features—for example, we will add the ability to see the exact path your character will take toward their target, taking static obstacles and other characters into account. You will also be able to see any attacks of opportunity that enemies are going to make if the character takes this path.

More info on turn-based mode will be revealed later, after we finish the Kickstarter campaign."

I'm assuming that also applies to PF:KM.

Last edited:

Darko

Educated
I would like to know how long it took some of you to finish chapter one on unfair. This is basically how long it takes for me on each unfair playthrough.

Here are stats from my last playthrough. If you do chapter1 under 30 days you get a unique dueling sword as a reward. Not very useful but hey, it's a sign of recognition.
Chapter 2 took way too long and resulted in penalties to Stability which at that point are hard to recover from. Also, kingdom interface shows that stat is at 0 even when it's negative, so unrest sneakily went up.

rnb2xRr.png

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>28 days
Is that how many days you had remaining? I had 13 days and 3 hours remaining after defeating Stag Lord. Last Unfair playthrough I had 5 days remaining but that was due to me save scumming Boggards.

Darko

Educated
>28 days
Is that how many days you had remaining? I had 13 days and 3 hours remaining after defeating Stag Lord. Last Unfair playthrough I had 5 days remaining but that was due to me save scumming Boggards.
Nah, Day column is End - start of the game (15th April) so Act1 was completed with 90-28=62 days remaining.

My impression is that it pays off to rush Act2 and do the Act1 optional fights later for several reasons:
  • Turning in all the tokens you found so far to Storyteller gives a significant cash boost
  • Can buy all the goodies from traders such as +5 to trickery and perception from Hassuf
  • Getting rid of the fog unlocks Bridge over Gudrin river, where Jaethal can kite wildlife into SE corner bandits, which gives you Arcane protector with minimal effort, not to mention the linnorm cave
  • Unlocks 2 companions which are among the strongest in the game
  • Thanks to all those things, act1 optional fights will be a lot easier, saving time and gray hairs. Besides you will pass near them anyway while doing companion and artisan quests.
Especially if you are good aligned, Kressle's group with Akiros and owlbear trivializes Stag lord so there is no reason not to do it ASAP.

Darko

Educated
In retrospect, big part of difficulty was that it was my first unfair playthrough. The other part is that it's an ambush, so no prebuffing.
If two enemy melees get high initiative and catch your tank flatfooted, or if they resist CC (in my case grease) you may need to reload.
If enemy necromancer casts fear much sooner than your priest gets off Remove fear, you may need to reload.
If named NPC summoner doesn't die fast enough, her summon starts getting troublesome. You guessed it - reload.

IMO a fight is difficult if it requires many reloads, and this one would be near the top. Unless there is some reliable strategy that I'm missing?
Party was Sword saint, Val TSS, Harrim cleric, Linzi bard/eccles 1, Jaethal and Amiri freebooters... yeah, I'd build them differently now.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Aw man I should have show cased that fight in my videos. I find it easier if you flank and rush the woman down first. If you don't she will flood the battle field with dogs. Then after that focus the remaining dudes down.

Darko

Educated
Aw man I should have show cased that fight in my videos. I find it easier if you flank and rush the woman down first. If you don't she will flood the battle field with dogs. Then after that focus the remaining dudes down.
Sure, that's what I did... followed by archer, then the necromancer and finally the melee guys (Val tanks them the whole time, with help from grease). But initiative was a big problem because enemies get +8 dex from unfair.

So what do you (or anyone else) think is the hardest fight in the game?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Sorry, I should have reread your post again..

>So what do you (or anyone else) think is the hardest fight in the game?
For me it's the tomb where purple gnome is at.

PapaPetro

I would like to know how long it took some of you to finish chapter one on unfair. This is basically how long it takes for me on each unfair playthrough.

Should have went aasimar monk...

bVOFezu.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom