Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wizard portraits are especially tricky. They're either too old, too evil, too flamboyant, too emo, too gay/elven, or even female. :argh:
I am abcolutely sure that if a character has none of those personality traits he can never become a Wizard. His brain will not be able to process the art of bending reality to his will.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
are the DLCs worth getting?
Wildcards is the only necessary one if you're going in fresh, the content it adds to the base game is well worth it. New Race, New Class and a fully integrated new companion. The other ones are... debatable. Varnhold's Lot has one of the best dungeons in the game, but everything surrounding it is generic. And Beneath is great for stress-testing builds, though the endless dungeon bit is really just if you can't get enough of the gameplay. Good final boss, though.

Erikkolai

Learned
First ancient curse battle down! Here's a little video I made showcasing that awesome fight. Enjoy!

At first glance I was convinced that you were responding to my 'generic avatar' question. I guess it would work.:M

Untitled.png

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/640820/view/2737578680428511164

Update 2.1.0g – August 10, 2020
Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

Areas
  • In Jamandi Aldori's Mansion, bandits near the room with statues entered into combat incorrectly. Resolution: fixed.
  • In Wilderness Clearing, barbarians killed their leader, which made it impossible to start the corresponding dialogue. Resolution: fixed.
  • In Vordakai's Tomb, zombies entered into combat incorrectly. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the gameplay-related issues in Vordakai's Tomb.
  • Fixed the issue, which made it impossible to interact with objects at the Varnhold Stockade.
  • It was impossible to kill Kressle and her bandits in the Stag Lord's Fort. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
  • In the dialogue with Vordakai, the new kingdom project notification was duplicated. Resolution:
  • The Brevan Envoy Awaits kingdom event about Annamede Belavarah’s show in the main square appeared again after it was resolved. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics
  • Canceling a cone-shaped spell failed to disable the 5-ft mode. Resolution: fixed.
  • When using Charge, characters could sometimes stack on top of other characters or monsters. Resolution: fixed.
  • The spell specialization could be duplicated in the Level Up screen of multiclass characters. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the error when the Land Defenders effect was lost if a character died.
  • Fixed the incorrect behavior of effects in turn-based mode.
  • The mechanics of how enemies entered into turn-based combat has been improved. It should solve various issues related to detecting new enemies during combat and using Coup de Grace while out of combat.
  • Fixed the incorrect behavior of summoned allies in turn-based mode.
  • In some cases, a character who was unable to move for some reason could lose the ability to attack. Resolution: fixed.
  • In turn-based mode, it was impossible to use the characters’ portraits to target a spell. Resolution: fixed.
  • In turn-based mode, when you summoned a creature at the edge of the fog of war, which covered enemies, it started an endless cycle of going into and out of combat.
  • If you quickly turned abilities on and off on the action bar, you could sometimes lose your action. Resolution: fixed.
  • Creatures spawned by a trap couldn’t be attacked during the first turn in turn-based mode. Resolution: fixed.
  • If you were making 5-foot steps while holding Shift down, the character would stop when you released the key. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces
  • On the global map, the fatigue notification could incorrectly appear in the book event text. Resolution: fixed.
  • Ability scores were not displayed on the Total page of the Level Up screen. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the turn-based mode issues caused by switching to the fullscreen window mode or opening the menu using Esc.
  • Fixed the issue with the display of effects on characters’ portraits.
  • Hints in the dialogue window functioned incorrectly. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some UI elements sometimes were displaced in the Level Up screen. Resolution: fixed.
  • Overtips sometimes appeared in an incorrect location for some types of enemies. Resolution: fixed.
  • Tutorial screenshots had Russian captions. Resolution: fixed.
  • If an attack of opportunity was available, the path was sometimes incorrectly painted (the standard action part was painted as if it was the move action part).
  • Some gods’ icons were not displayed. Resolution: fixed.

Miscellaneous
  • Fixed the issue when some mouse devices were identified as gamepads, which triggered a message that suggested switching to the gamepad mode.
  • When you clicked the icon of a character located far away from the party, the camera failed to focus on that character. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed some issues related to the selection of the controller type at the game start.
  • Audio: the volume of stamp sounds made by hares has been decreased.
  • Audio: fixed the issue with incorrect type of footsteps in the Kamelands.
  • Audio: fixed the issue that could result in incorrect behavior of sound and music in some areas.

A friendly reminder: while we deeply admire the contribution that mod authors make to our game, we would like you to remember that running custom modifications can lead to unexpected bugs and crashes. Unfortunately, if you encounter any issues while playing with mods, our team will not be able to help you. If this happens, please report these issues to the mod's original creator. Also, remember that after each game update, there is a high probability of previously installed mods not functioning properly.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Finally finished the entire game, took me a long time. I'm dumping all my thoughts here. Spoilers for the entire game.
The Good:
-The writing is pretty strong all across the board. The overall plot, the companions, quests, locations etc. Devs managed to find good ballance between late Bioware's "lol so rundom" writing and Sawyer's dry snorefest.
-The options offered to the player are pretty overhelming. Probably the most robust BG-like in the market
-Despite what many people say the kingdom management was well integrated into the story and gameplay, really made you feel like a Baron/King. Contrasted with totally tacked-on keep from pillars.
-The combat challenge was pretty good across the board. I've played at challenging, didn't really mess with the classes and stuff and felt that the game is pretty well balanced. I never felt that I can practically steamroll everything from now on. Probably the result of very not min-maxed companions
-The chapters were pretty varied, each one felt like a new adventure.
-The tactical combat is a good addition, that lets you have some control once everything turns into a mess.
-Time limits are a nice idea to limit the player abusing rest etc. IMO instead of having 100 days to do everything it would be more effective to give you just a few days between starting a particular dungeon and beating the boss.
The Ugly:
-Loading times got pretty bad at the end. In general Unity feels like a mess. It was practically impossible to minimilize the game, do something and get back to it.
The Bad:
-Too many samey encounters. Of look, it's another batch of ghosts soldiers with 2 wizards. Look another squad of Wild Hunt.
-There are too AI setting on and off. Perhaps I was doing something wrong but both are horrible. On "off" the AI won't event hit enemy right next to a character, on "on" it will charge across the room and activate every trap in the way once it sees the enemy.
-In general too often fights turned into complete clusterfuck. Making me reload and play it again on "tactical setting" which is slower than fighting a normal fight in a turn-based game. Which defeats the entire purpose of making the game real-time in the first place.
-Game was tad too long, I was pretty sick of it by the end. Despite having a few week-long brakes before finishing the game.
-Bosses went down in quality as the game went on. Stag Lord was a very intelligently made and hard encounter. The location was interesting and he was supported by a bunch of mooks that were a pain in the ass. On the other hand Irovetti has a few generic goons, Nyrissa just summons a couple of monsters.
-I really hate the entire party situation at the end, where people can lose their party characters and have to look for replacement at the very last dungeon. It makes all the companion quests semi-mandatory. I especially dislike the Linsi situation since she was practically forced into party form the earliest stages of the game, she was one of few arcane casters and also was one of the characters that was really fun to use.
Sure things like that happened in different games. Aerith in FF7 and Yoshimo in BG2, but it wasn't at the very last dungeon where it's already past the point the game should force player to reorganize the party. I guess Kreia in KoTOR 2 is similar, but party member are fucking useless in that game.
The weird:
Mandragora swarm is the toughest enemy of the game. A 20 of those could probably take on all the bosses in the game and win.

It might seem that I hate the game that there are more bad parts than good, but I actually think that it's a really solid title. I'd recommend it to every RPG fans, especially the Baldur's Gate fans.
Probably not in my top 10. I'll be buying WOTR when it released but I think I'll beat the game in the turn-based mode.

EDIT:
Apparently only 0,9% of the players finished the game on pure challenging. Neat, finally some semi-rare achievement.

Last edited:
Gangrelrumbler Sounds like a typical Shitmaker review: It was utter shit, and I did not enjoy this at all, but yeah it was a great game. Man up and admit it's shit.

Also, reading about Mandragora Swarms brought back memories. <shivers> Fuck those things and the horse they rode in on. There was that one room somewhere in Shitmaker with like 6 of them, holy shit. I literally had to try 20 different setups for the party before one worked before they gnawed my whole party down.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gangrelrumbler Sounds like a typical Shitmaker review: It was utter shit, and I did not enjoy this at all, but yeah it was a great game. Man up and admit it's shit.

Also, reading about Mandragora Swarms brought back memories. <shivers> Fuck those things and the horse they rode in on. There was that one room somewhere in Shitmaker with like 6 of them, holy shit. I literally had to try 20 different setups for the party before one worked before they gnawed my whole party down.
Yeah man, casting AoE spells is HARD. :dealwithit:

Yeah man, casting AoE spells is HARD. :dealwithit:

AOE spells work to some extend but I needed to cast a lot of them to kill the fuckers. Getting summoned undead armor to aggro them worked pretty well.. Except for that one combat where they had Golems to back them up. Then I discovered that setting up all the buffs, getting firebrand and whacking them worked much better. It's ridiculous how shitty AEO is against them.
It took less time to nuke Wiggly man "the most evil worm in the universe" than to fry one of them. It would be hard if they were just a single boss encounter, but when they brought them back for the 5th time or so it was pretty tiresome.

PorkyThePaladin
I wouldn't call the game bad, I had more fun with it than I had with POE. When the game is good it's fun to play, but when it's bad it's pretty avful, and the last dungeon is just a gigantic showcase of all the bad parts of the game.

That applies to any game, hell even something like Oblivion or Fallout 4 is sometimes good. The point is, Shitmaker is bad in at least 70% of its content.

For me it was much less than that. I might be slightly biased since even if I didn't enjoy 70% of the game I'd still have some good things to say about it, just because It's not as bad as Pillars of Eternity.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
That applies to any game, hell even something like Oblivion or Fallout 4 is sometimes good. The point is, Shitmaker is bad in at least 70% of its content.

The first half of Shitmaker is excellent. In fact is the only new RPG game which manages to feel like an proper old-school IE game and I think in some ways it also surpassed the old ones.

On the other hand, I admit that I refused to go past Pytax because I started to see the cracks in the game's pacing and honestly, by that point, the fights become too samey and chaotic at the same time.

Anyway, your statement is full of shit. The game was clearly not finished on release, maybe the last 40% of the game is boring and mediocre but the first half of the game is pure incline ... and I don't even like IE games.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
-There are too AI setting on and off. Perhaps I was doing something wrong but both are horrible. On "off" the AI won't event hit enemy right next to a character, on "on" it will charge across the room and activate every trap in the way once it sees the enemy.
-In general too often fights turned into complete clusterfuck. Making me reload and play it again on "tactical setting" which is slower than fighting a normal fight in a turn-based game. Which defeats the entire purpose of making the game real-time in the first place.

These buffle me to no end.

If you don't want the A.I. to run across the screen give him a ranged weapon and switch on-the-fly. There are 4 weapons slots on every character (except Amiri). Even in PoE-I this switching was vital.

You're not playing Starcraft, you have both pause and auto-pause. The only thing that's missing is proper logging of some auto-pause events. I am investigating this on my current Hard Varnhold's Lot run, and I have found that only 2 or 3 auto-pause settings are enough to get rid of both tactical setting and "stop at the end of every round". If only I had logging for some of them...

-I really hate the entire party situation at the end, where people can lose their party characters and have to look for replacement at the very last dungeon. It makes all the companion quests semi-mandatory.
This is called "choices and consequences that matter". It's amusing that so much hype was, apparently, created for what has never been implemented properly. And as soon as it has been implemented in full, praise turned to whining.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

For me it was much less than that. I might be slightly biased since even if I didn't enjoy 70% of the game I'd still have some good things to say about it, just because It's not as bad as Pillars of Eternity.

PoE1 is garbage for two reasons: uninspired combat mechanics and uninspired storyline. A good RPG game must have one of these: either a good story or good combat. PoE doesn't have shit except some pretty visuals. It's mind-boggling how the game managed to be produced and, honestly, Sawyer should no longer work in the industry after this fiasco. The guy is simply not very creative and he behaves like an underachieving accountant.

PoE2 is better than PoE1 but in the end is the same shit. The only good things about PoE2 are the Neketaka city - which felt like a proper hub location - and the fact that is not as insulting as PoE1. Someone can actually finish PoE2 without wishing to be reincarnated.

In the end I agree with you: both games are flawed but Kingmaker is actually good for many hours while PoE is never actually good. It's a big difference.

These buffle me to no end.

If you don't want the A.I. to run across the screen give him a ranged weapon and switch on-the-fly. There are 4 weapons slots on every character (except Amiri). Even in PoE-I this switching was vital.

You're not playing Starcraft, you have both pause and auto-pause. The only thing that's missing is proper logging of some auto-pause events. I am investigating this on my current Hard Varnhold's Lot run, and I have found that only 2 or 3 auto-pause settings are enough to get rid of both tactical setting and "stop at the end of every round". If only I had logging for some of them...

It would be perfect if they could attack enemies next to him. Usually it's like this "hey why aren't they switching targets after killing enemies? oh, I forgot to turn AI on" and "hey why is he darting across the room suddenly, ah I forgot to turn it off". Basically it makes real-time combat a huge pain in the ass. Perhaps I should've experiment with auto-pause settings, but I never had to do it in BG2.

This is called "choices and consequences that matter". It's amusing that so much hype was, apparently, created for what has never been implemented properly. And as soon as it has been implemented in full, praise turned to whining.

It's not really a bad idea to block players from using certain characters based on his decisions but:
-It's really a bad idea to postpone the consequences until the final dungeon.
-There are no "choices" to be made here. There is one correct choice: do all the quests for everyone, which I did. I'm not complaining that I didn't get my favorite party member. It would just suck if I didn't. Speaking of CnC it's a bit silly how here [good alignment] choice is always the correct choice. Even in Bioware games evil NPCs were reserved for evil PCs. Here you can get evil Jaethal in the final dungeon by choosing good ending to her quest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom